Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

1 minute ago, Predictor said:

Damn, I got 9 uniques this time. That's one less from last year, but still a lot for a main team. Also, I have two more Drop 40 bonuses than last time.

Happy to see Loongkoonan back on the DDP page again, but she has a first name, ya know! Kinda funny that people are still picking people like Wilko Johnson, lol. They've clearly been living under a rock for the past few years.

It'll be the casuals who just scrape up old DDP picks thinking they're all old farts.

A couple of 'details to follow' picks on my Slavic theme team so hope this will help.

Lyudmila Alexeyeva: Russian human rights activist and former Soviet dissident. She founded the Moscow Helsinki Watch Group. Born 20 July 1927.

Dobri Dobrev: Bulgarian centenarian. Made the news a few years ago for walking 20km every day to beg outside Sofia's Cathedral of Alexander Nevsky. All money he collects goes to charity. Born 20 July 1914.

Stanislaw Kowalski: Polish centenarian athlete. Made the news a few years ago for being the oldest European to run 100m, at age 104. Born 14 April 1910.

Jozef Venglos: Czech football player and coach. But I assume you already knew that :P. Born 18 February 1936.

On a side note regarding Kowalski, absolutely stunned he isn't a unique. He made global press in 2014, but was never picked in the DDP. Didn't think anybody would notice him now. Of course, the name Stanislaw Kowalski is the Polish version of John Smith. So I can still live in the hope that Blackburn Brownbread chose a different Stanislaw Kowalski.

A Pelican In The Wilderness’s team looks very interesting, as always. Funnily enough, I just knew their joker was going to be Al-Baghdadi this time. Also a very notable drop on the amount of people who picked him...

Drunkasaskunk and Mr C make it 20 years in the DDP together. Mr C takes it on being consecutively doesn't he beating the guy who bowed out last year?

Pretty proud about how my 2 teams stand up, I think they're relatively good for a first year entry.

Good luck to all, and thank you Spade for investing so much time into this.

• Like 1

^_^ Looks like my theme team cost my main team a unique,thought for sure at least a few others would go for Yamaguchi-San.

I see 'Blimey' got 20 Drop 40 picks (there might be more but my eyes got sore!).

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Are we definitely sures @Banshees Scream @Octopus of Odstock and @Rotten Ali have bowed out and there identifiers haven't been mixed up. That's a massive resignation from the top of the board with the addition of @Spade_Cooleybowing out. 

Opens the field up for other competitors though. Anyway has anyone done a sweep for teams from Margere Hein (unlikely), rockhopperpenguin and Dr Zorders? I can't remember there DDP team names.

Judging by the relatively few teams who picked Victorio Cecchi Gori I'm assuming I got done on that one.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 06:35, Octopus of Odstock said:

Im not entering any more DP's so in order of illness here are some tips; 

Herd,  Robin

Greene, Keith

Watson,  John

Herd is in a bad way. 

OoO confirmed this in his post in The Chequered Flag thread.

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I see 'Blimey' got 20 Drop 40 picks (there might be more but my eyes got sore!).

Since you can only choose 20, it's hardly likely they got more. 

• Like 2

I like the summary on my main team.Very complimentary. I have some stiff competition to retain my place in the top 20 this year.

@Spade_Cooley

Firstly a massive thanks to you for running this. Secondly,

Just noticed Doreen Keogh who died on the 31st December has been left on my team, shouldn't Sarah Harding be elevated from my subs to replace her or is it a case of tough shit due to how late she died? Also Wiley (Shot in the Dark) is a rapper not an MC.

Also is someone on here the good the bad and the Cliff Richard - taking my unique for Schaffernaker off me? Fuck you.

Almost certain I've picked Ernst Walder for Cobbles to a Coffin previously so surprised he's showing up as Details to Follow. Anyway it appears I haven't:

Ernst Walder

Elderly actor best known for playing Elsie Tanner's daughter Linda's Polish husband Ivan Cheveski in the earliest episodes of Coronation Street.

Regards shot in the Dark teams

Tony Banks.

Keyboardist for the progressive rock band Genesis.

Robert Halfon

Tory MP for Harlow and Chair of the Education committee.

Danny Boy-Hatchard

Silly named actor who's best known for his roles as Lee Carter in EastEnders

Chris Kamara

Potentially mentally ill sports reporter virally famous for his complete and utter incompetence 

Romelu Lukaku

Footballer for Man Utd and formerly Everton and Chelsea. 

Wiley MBE (rapper)

Affectionately referred to as "Godfather of grime" - big hits is Wearing My Rolex and Cash in my Pocket as well as working to help and promote other grime artists.

Finally the Ray Wilson on Shot in the Dark is the musician not the footballer.

Scottish guitarist who's worked with Slitskin and Genesis.

Lastly and it's really minor, my team name usually contains an apostrophe and writes as Deathray's rather than none as Deathrays. Although that may be entirely my fault as I haven't checked my email to see if I wrote it properly :) Cobbles to a Coffin should also be The Cobbles to a Coffin; as it's the stars of "The Cobbles".

Pleased 12 of my main team picks are in the Drop 40 and all 3 of my jokers are in the drop 40.

Also surprised at some of my uniques.

I like Spade's little comment about my theme team Losing The Plot  :D

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

Are we definitely sures @Banshees Scream @Octopus of Odstock and @Rotten Ali have bowed out and there identifiers haven't been mixed up. That's a massive resignation from the top of the board with the addition of @Spade_Cooleybowing out. 

Opens the field up for other competitors though. Anyway has anyone done a sweep for teams from Margere Hein (unlikely), rockhopperpenguin and Dr Zorders? I can't remember there DDP team names.

Judging by the relatively few teams who picked Victorio Cecchi Gori I'm assuming I got done on that one.

Bullshit.

This competition died years ago. I've looked at the picks floating about on these last few pages...and I know fuck all about most of them. Of course there are the death connoisseurs who would say that is down to me lack of research, if not education. If those so-called big names have vanished, its probably because all the fun has been sucked out of the competition.

Us lesser deadpoolers - who largely stay within the parameters of picking real celebrities (with perhaps the occasional unknown face just to give a suggestion of competition) only really enter now out of force of habit. That, and the fact that every January I get to moan about all you cheating bastards who don't understand that a) its a celebrity Deadpool and b)its only supposed to be a bit of fun.

If I ever get diagnosed with terminal cancer in October/November time, I'll be sure to do something utterly tragic just so my death gets a passing mention. Give you lot something to beat off over - somebody nobody has heard of is dying!

• Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Bullshit.

This competition died years ago. I've looked at the picks floating about on these last few pages...and I know fuck all about most of them. Of course there are the death connoisseurs who would say that is down to me lack of research, if not education. If those so-called big names have vanished, its probably because all the fun has been sucked out of the competition.

Us lesser deadpoolers - who largely stay within the parameters of picking real celebrities (with perhaps the occasional unknown face just to give a suggestion of competition) only really enter now out of force of habit. That, and the fact that every January I get to moan about all you cheating bastards who don't understand that a) its a celebrity Deadpool and b)its only supposed to be a bit of fun.

If I ever get diagnosed with terminal cancer in October/November time, I'll be sure to do something utterly tragic just so my death gets a passing mention. Give you lot something to beat off over - somebody nobody has heard of is dying!

You seem to be arguing against a point that I never made. I merely commented it was a massive resignation from the top of the field. I totally agree with you that famous for being ill picks should be banned. I find it odd that you are addressing a comment about "all you cheating bastards" to someone whose team keeps within the confines of real celebrities. The difference between you and me seems to be I've accepted I won't win playing properly. Here it is in full with professions by the way:

1. David Attenborough (Naturalist TV Presenter)
  2. Leah Bracknell Drop Forty bonus (Soap Actress - Emmerdale)
  3. June Brown (Soap Actress - EastEnders)
  4. George H. W. Bush Sr Drop Forty bonus (President of the USA)
  5. David Butler Unique pick (Psephologist and Election Night Presenter)
  6. Jimmy Carter Drop Forty bonus (Presenter of the US)
  7. Vittorio Cecchi Gori  (Film Producer)
  8. Bob Dylan (Singer)
  9. Mikhail Gorbachev (Russian President)
  10. Rev Billy Graham Drop Forty bonus (US God TV Presenter)
  11. Clive James Drop Forty bonus (Journalist & Writer)
  12. Shane MacGowan (Aslan Lead Singer)
  13. John McCain Drop Forty bonus Joker! (US Presidential Nominee)
  14. Roberta McCain (The above's mother and activist)
  15. Robert Mugabe Drop Forty bonus (Zimbabwean President)
  16. Keith Richards (Member of Rolling Stones)
  17. Michael Schumacher (Formula 1 Driver)
  18. Dennis Skinner (UK Parliamentarian)
  19. Stefan Karl Stefansson Drop Forty bonus (Childrens TV actor)
  20. Mary Wilson (Former Prime Minister's Wife)

If you're going to make a post accusing people of cheating for fuck sake don't direct that at someone who is not one of those fucking cheats hey?  Taking two seconds out of your life to ctrl+v would have saved you this utter embarrassment of mongoloid proportions. You have a point but why the fuck you chose to take it out on my post, fuck knows?

If you really cared about FFBI's why have you turned up now rather than aiding the argument we had last year in the rules thread to attempt to get FFBI's being banned? Ah I forgot it's because you're a miserable cunt with a superiority complex and doing that wouldn't have allowed you to come on her and take your ire out on someone who agrees with you?

I stil love the game.The obit rules make it more interesting.I avoided cancer mums and most FFBI.The only FFBI out of my 60 is Noel Conway but if he overturned the the law on assisted dying would go down in history.Also I consider him an activist.

• Like 1

Sorry to be of annoyance Deathray, but Bob Dylan never was a country singer, he does folk and later rock music. Not country. :banghead:

Big thanks to Spade and TMIB for all the effort, and specially for including my Sit-com team which was submitted slightly late.

Surprised to get 8 unique's in my main team. Particularly Major Mike Sadler (last of original SAS operations), Lady Myra Butler (close friend of royalty)  and Mary Stopes-Roe (Barnes Wallis daughter) all of whom got some airtime on mainstream UK TV last year. Still, they go to go to be worth it.

Good luck all.

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Sorry to be of annoyance Deathray, but Bob Dylan never was a country singer, he does folk and later rock music. Not country. :banghead:

If that's what you're thinking about after reading my post, kindly fuck off. It's a minor detail.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sean said:

I stil love the game.The obit rules make it more interesting.I avoided cancer mums and most FFBI.The only FFBI out of my 60 is Noel Conway but if he overturned the the law on assisted dying would go down in history.Also I consider him an activist.

Actually there are 2. Pete Frates made the list too.

1 minute ago, Deathray said:

If that's what you're thinking about after reading my post, kindly fuck off. It's a minor detail.

Apologies, it's one of my major pet peeves when people mistake someone for a different genre...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Apologies, it's one of my major pet peeves when people mistake someone for a different genre...

And one of my major pet peeves is someone being a pedantic cunt when someone is making an incredibly serious point - normally in a quite deliberate attempt to deflect a conversation away from an argument they know they're on the wrong side of. Most genres borrow from each other anyway, much of Bob Dylan's music has heavy country influences, I doubt he'd be that offended by someone calling him a country singer. I mean he was happy enough to be introduced to the Country Music Hall of Fame 

9 minutes ago, Deathray said:

You seem to be arguing against a point that I never made. I merely commented it was a massive resignation from the top of the field. I totally agree with you that famous for being ill picks should be banned. I find it odd that you are addressing a comment about "all you cheating bastards" to someone whose team keeps within the confines of real celebrities. The difference between you and me seems to be I've accepted I won't win playing properly. Here it is in full with professions by the way:

If you're going to make a post accusing people of cheating for fuck sake don't direct that at someone who is not one of those fucking cheats hey?  Taking two seconds out of your life to ctrl+v would have saved you this utter embarrassment of mongoloid proportions. You have a point but why the fuck you chose to take it out on my post, fuck knows?

If you really cared about FFBI's why have you turned up now rather than aiding the argument we had last year in the rules thread to attempt to get FFBI's being banned? Ah I forgot it's because you're a miserable cunt with a superiority complex and doing that wouldn't have allowed you to come on her and take your ire out on someone who agrees with you?

Good post, Deathray.

Although of course, no one is cheating,  by the rules. :D   And neither of us have ever picked a 16 year old kid, of course...

This feels like a streamlined collection of people. It feels as if there is less diversity at the margin. I mean, Ricketts, Elias and Cryne in the Drop 40...

Maybe because of two reasons (or actually some more):

1. The forum is getting more and more dominant.

2. Uniques were getting less important. The Drop 40 more... like Cryne should have been on my main team instead of Timerman.

I also wonder whether Shameless killed a couple of Theme Teams.