Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

i and The Indie haven't been part of the same company for nearly five years now. 

The Independent not being accepted is basically part of a hard cut-off: the rule was that only prestige media counted for QOs, and 10/15 years ago that meant national daily newspapers and broadcast TV. So when The Indie went digital-only, it had to go. Otherwise if someone launched a website claiming to be the continuation of Daily Sketch or The European, would we have to count that as a QO source?

Hmm fair enough. I don't really see the difference in digital Indy to print Indy being "prestige media" when they're still doing much of what they did before (ie being one of the papers who pay for much of the election polling for example, and Sky Sports doesn't have a regular print edition either) but you're the boss.

Oh, on that (boring) podcast: "I have been reading Cynthia Heimel, because she died last week"...  42.40 in. Not a QO, but noting as another BBC death notice which doesn't count, just so we can say: thank you very much, Deathray.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ouch for TJS: the most recent episode of the Saturday Review on Radio 4 talks about Cynthia Heimel, and presumably mentions her death... but it doesn't specifically mention that on the strapline, just that she's "recommended".  This year's Majestik Magnificent?

Even so, isn't the programmes section of the BBC not counted under QO rules? So a mention of her death in the strapline wouldn't count regardless.

@Spade_Cooley Just noticed that the DDP has two entries for the same person.

There's Ben Ferencz and Benjamin Ferencz, who I believe are one and the same.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

@Spade_Cooley Just noticed that the DDP has two entries for the same person.

There's Ben Ferencz and Benjamin Ferencz, who I believe are one and the same.

Caught. There's also a pick for Sandy Briden, who died last year and there was some (very minor) public notification of this fact, so a sub comes into play there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Hubert De Givenchy is a 'hit'for me on my Blueberry Crumble team and a 'hit'  for just one other player too. 

Yeah, it's me :)

• Like 1

This was recently on Stefan Karl Stefansson's Twitter feed. 

It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big.

If we make the obvious inference then it seems that he is definitely in the sooner rather than later pile.  Sad cause he seems like quite a nice fellow with a young family, but maybe not such a bad joker after all.

Was hoping for a nice minor death to round of the current update, but now Stephy H has carked it so I have to make him the lead.

The caption for Ken Dodd's picture was going to be "Two things in life are certain: death and... One thing in life is certain."

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Does the LA Times count for Kate Wilhelm?

Pretty sure all sites have to be UK sites, so that obit definitely doesn’t count (unless there’s something that changed that I missed). 

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Pretty sure all sites have to be UK sites, so that obit definitely doesn’t count (unless there’s something that changed that I missed). 

That means that I am going to have to resort to bombarding the Guardian obits twitter feed with covers of her books. I might add in Julian May and David Fisher just to make a point about anti SF snobbery.

• Like 2

Another hit for me just two days after Hubert De Givenchy and that's Jim Bowen in my Gooseberry Crumble team.  He is also my joker. 

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Was hoping for a nice minor death to round of the current update, but now Stephy H has carked it so I have to make him the lead.

The caption for Ken Dodd's picture was going to be "Two things in life are certain: death and... One thing in life is certain."

Yup. Death's a bastard when in the mood...

It is definitely an Arse based day, with both Arse-in-hole and Francis of Arse-easy double hitting with Bowen and Hawkins.

I should stop watching Cheltenham and do the rest of those bio pics :blush:

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

I should stop watching Cheltenham and do the rest of those bio pics :blush:

I lived in Cheltenham and hated Gold Cup week. Drivers leaving the race course had no respect for cyclists and horse racing punters were unable to distinguish the different functions between public phone boxes and public conveniences.

Thanks to Toast, Cat-O and DI btw, the celeb bios and pics are coming together very quickly.

Obviously if anyone spots any errors or incosistencies or whatever, do let me know.

• Like 3

Peter Overton is actually the non-league footballer born 1976 with the terminal brain cancer, although the fact I stumbled across the Australian dude more there doesn't speak highly for his QO chances. In fact, he could have died off the radar for all I know.

On that note, of the two left over...

Carl Piddington - Son of Corrie legend Bill Tarmey, now suffering from an inoperable brain tumour.

Mike Pintek - Yet another semi-obscure American with pancreatic cancer. This one hosts a radio talk show in Pittsburgh.

27 minutes ago, msc said:

Peter Overton is actually the non-league footballer born 1976 with the terminal brain cancer, although the fact I stumbled across the Australian dude more there doesn't speak highly for his QO chances. In fact, he could have died off the radar for all I know.

Yeah, I gave someone the wrong Patrick Duffy as well, so eager was I to write a bio for the 80s TV heartthrob.

I will only pick Patrick Duffy after he has died.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Yeah, I gave someone the wrong Patrick Duffy as well, so eager was I to write a bio for the 80s TV heartthrob.

#metoo  just now with the photos.

"Aha, at last someone I've heard of!  No need to check this one.  Well ... better make sure  -  Oh!"