Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

9 minutes ago, msc said:

There's this, which I've just tried to do a quick update on. It's pinned at the top of this (Deadpools) section.

I understand leaving out the Joker’s Pool since we don’t know if anyone else wants to host it next year, but you ought to put the Crowdsource list on there. ;) 

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I understand leaving out the Joker’s Pool since we don’t know if anyone else wants to host it next year, but you ought to put the Crowdsource list on there. ;) 

Crowdsourced isn't a deadpool, per say. No winner etc...

Just discovered that Dick Quax, who died a few months back, was picked in 2017

On 02/01/2018 at 13:17, CaptainChorizo said:

My Blackie Dammett gambit is entirely on this ,not sure what he is dying of but the dude has lived the sex , drugs and rock n roll lifestyle and turns 79.

Dementia, apparently. According to this he can't even read any more.

I had another look at the teams, and after looking at ...Norfolk and Good’s squad, since one of their picks Sophie Smith went missing before the new year, isn’t that an illegal pick since no MIA’s are allowed or am I missing something? (Surprised no one else noticed this until now)...

12 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I had another look at the teams, and after looking at ...Norfolk and Good’s squad, since one of their picks Sophie Smith went missing before the new year, isn’t that an illegal pick since no MIA’s are allowed or am I missing something? (Surprised no one else noticed this until now)...

MIAs are allowed, it's just we need proof that they died in 2018 not 2017. Which, you know, in any missing person case will not be the outcome.

And theoretically, missing people could show up again and then die in the same year!

Also, time for one of those:

Pretty quiet since Lord Carrington's death. A big name must be going soon.

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

And theoretically, missing people could show up again and then die in the same year!

Also, time for one of those:

Pretty quiet since Lord Carrington's death. A big name must be going soon.

You know, 17th July has been fertile ground in the past.

Ted Heath, Walter Cronkite, Elaine Stritch, Gordon (of Peter and Gordon), Mickey Spillane, Jules Bianchi and one person who had his own thread which isn't tagged as dead yet.

So we may get some names in the next couple of days. Reaper's been fickle when he takes 'em this year.

Edit: Ta, mods, you are wonderful you know.

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

You know, 17th July has been fertile ground in the past.

Ted Heath, Walter Cronkite, Elaine Stritch, Gordon (of Peter and Gordon), Mickey Spillane, Jules Bianchi and one person who had his own thread which isn't tagged as dead yet.

And now we have Radoslav Nenadál, who translated Sophie's Choice into Czech.

It's not looking good for Simon Ricketts-this is copied from his Tumblr page.

I watched England beat Colombia while I was in hospital. Again.
I was back in because I was very weak. Badly anaemic.
They pumped some units of blood into me and that helped.
I also had a nasty, unhealing wound where the chest drain used to be.
Underneath that wound was a lump. Probably infection. We tested it.

It wasn’t infection. It’s the cancer again. Back. Aggressively. Quickly.
It’s inoperable. We’ll try radiotherapy to slow it down.
I’m sorry to say it looks like I have both feet on the down escalator now.
I’m sorry for everyone who loves me. I’m sorry to cause them pain. Hurt. Again.

I do, as ever, plan to ‘make the most’ of the time I have left.
But I am very weak. I doubt I’ll be going on sunshine tours or pub crawls.
At home, with a cup of tea, my cat and my girlfriend. This may be all of it.

I feel okay right now. A sense of quietly plodding in the mist.
The pain is okay right now. It will get worse.

Love makes it bearable.

I think dropping him from my squad last year was a mistake. Life lesson: never underestimate someone with pancreatic cancer. :banghead:

By my calculation I am now top 10 in the theme league. If David Fisher had got an obit that would be Top 5.

I wonder if Ricketts is going to obit. Last year, I would have said yes, this year Im not so sure.

• Like 1

I feel that any journalist who have worked with any major UK publication should be a cert for at least a mention in a QO. 

On 19/07/2018 at 08:16, Joey Russ said:

I feel that any journalist who have worked with any major UK publication should be a cert for at least a mention in a QO. 

I feel like he's borderline. Might depend on how busy a news day it is.

On 19/07/2018 at 05:41, Dr_T said:

It's not looking good for Simon Ricketts-this is copied from his Tumblr page.

I watched England beat Colombia while I was in hospital. Again.
I was back in because I was very weak. Badly anaemic.
They pumped some units of blood into me and that helped.
I also had a nasty, unhealing wound where the chest drain used to be.
Underneath that wound was a lump. Probably infection. We tested it.

It wasn’t infection. It’s the cancer again. Back. Aggressively. Quickly.
It’s inoperable. We’ll try radiotherapy to slow it down.
I’m sorry to say it looks like I have both feet on the down escalator now.
I’m sorry for everyone who loves me. I’m sorry to cause them pain. Hurt. Again.

I do, as ever, plan to ‘make the most’ of the time I have left.
But I am very weak. I doubt I’ll be going on sunshine tours or pub crawls.
At home, with a cup of tea, my cat and my girlfriend. This may be all of it.

I feel okay right now. A sense of quietly plodding in the mist.
The pain is okay right now. It will get worse.

Love makes it bearable.

Aye, major football success fucks up the best laid plans. Yer man there might have drawn comfort but the vital column inches of a q/o might have been spiked in favour of discussing the latest sponsorship deals signed by fringe players in the England squad. Sherilyn Smith's new movie was also a casualty of England's success; opened between the quarter and semi-finals and took about £600-00 in each of the leading cinemas showing it.

News reports covered their bad luck etc. but said nowt about whether it'd plunge her towards a meltdown that'd get the DL committee discussing her over the first pint at the selection meeting.

July has been really slow in the DDP this year, hasn’t it? I don’t think July is usually one of the slower months either...

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

July has been really slow in the DDP this year, hasn’t it? I don’t think July is usually one of the slower months either...

I blame air conditioning and the over-reliance of DDP teams on UK/US selections

A lightning strike on an electricity substation in a major city at the height of a heatwave - that'd bring on points

• Like 1

Since everything is kind of stagnant in the DDP right now, I've decided to make an updated analysis on what I think of the surviving DDP picks at this point and time. I only included everyone up to 8th= this time though (it would've been a top 8 analysis regardless of how many people were at 8th=), so I apologize if your team doesn't show up in the analysis this time:

Spoiler

1. Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi (deadsox) - Not only is ISIS more or less out of the limelight now, but I also feel that Fazlullah took the top terrorist who actually dies this year role. (2/10)

2. Kathleen Blanco (msc, Blight) - Recently showed up to get an award and she didn't look as bad as you'd expect, but I still think that she won't be seeing the year out. (8/10)

3. Leah Bracknell (Joey, BoB, TJS, drol, EC, Chorizo, PDF, deadsox, msc, Blight) - Lungs are being constantly drained and she's reported to be nearly bedridden at this point. Won't be long now imo. (9.5/10)

4. Ami Brown (BoB, Blight) - Yep, definitely a fraud, and I have my doubts on her obitting anyways so even if the cancer is actually there and kills, I have my doubts on whether she'd obit anyways. (1/10)

5. Johnny Clegg (TJS, drol, EC) - He still has at least one performance booked in September, but him looking very frail and/or cancelling the show wouldn't surprise me. (7/10)

6. John Cocks (Joey) - No idea on how his immunotherapy is doing, but that treatment does seem to be doing well to a lot of people. His cancer is advanced enough (spread to lungs and spine) that I doubt he'll be able to beat it, but I think there's a good chance that he'll see 2019. (6/10)

7. Blackie Dammett (Chorizo) - Turns out he has dementia and can't read anymore, but it's still probably in the early stages. (5/10)

8. Stuart Fraser (Joey, Chorizo) - Despite appearing on another album, the fact that we haven't seen anything else from him since the benefit concert gives me an ominous feeling, and he might be a sneaky late year hit. (6/10)

9. Pete Frates (PDF, msc) - Still active on Twitter as of three days ago, I think he'll last a little longer and be a bit of an outlier, but he's probably dead within 5 years. (5/10)

10. Alberto Fujimori (Blight) - Classic case of a criminal claiming to be iller than he actually is, and Catherine Nevin took the dying criminal who actually dies role this year. (1/10)

11. Greg Gilbert (Joey, TJS, drol, EC, Chorizo, deadsox, msc) - Preparing for a wedding, turning more and more into a Daisy Berkowitz figure. (2.5/10)

12. Denis Goldberg (drol) - Again, not sure how old guys with terminal lung cancer last as long as they do unless they go through a lot of treatment. (8/10)

13. Anne Hamilton-Byrne (PDF) - Since she spent years in palliative care, while her death wouldn't surprise me, her surviving another year would be less surprising. (5/10)

14. James Harris (EC) - Dead within 5 years, but this year is probably a bit too soon. (4/10)

15. Bill Heine (drol) - He always seemed more like a 2019 death to me. Probably a year too early, but I could be wrong. (5/10)

16. Carl Ikeme (Blight) - In remission, and is very young too so it'll probably be a few years at least before it relapses, if it happens. (1/10)

17. Clive James (Joey, EC) - Thought the silence would've lead to a scoring pick, but I doubt it's happening anymore. From the Guardian article a few weeks back, the drug is still working and another one can be used if the first drug quits working. Still, he does seem to be slowing down a little. (5/10)

18. Jose Jose (BoB, drol, Chorizo, deadsox) - One of these days a hospitalization will be the one where he dies at, but it could take another year before that happens. (6/10)

19. Dilip Kumar (BoB, Chorizo) - I don't get why so many people went for him. Yes he's frail, yes he has had multiple hospitalizations but so have the likes of Bush Sr and other even older men like Overton and that Sri Sri guy. His death wouldn't surprise me, but I feel that he may linger a few more years. (5/10)

20. Steffan Lewis (msc, Blight) - Nearly suffered liver failure many months back but now he's seems to be doing okay, but one must wonder how much longer he can last. (4/10)

21. Devin Lima (BoB, drol, EC, PDF, deadsox, msc, Blight) - The silence from his front does seem ominous. Right now I'm hoping that he sees 2019 so I don't fall behind even more, although his death wouldn't surprise me at this point. (6.5/10)

22. Peter Lorimer (drol, deadsox, Blight) - He has been completely silent since his cancer diagnosis, although we don't know how bad the tumor was in the first place. But, like Lima, his death wouldn't surprise me at all. (7/10) 

23. Philomena Lynott (msc) - That no treatment thing was bullshit, but one must wonder how long an 87 year old with terminal lung cancer can last even with the treatment. (6/10)

24. John McCain (Joey, BoB, TJS, drol, EC, Chorizo, PDF, deadsox, msc, Blight) - I thought he'd be dead by now, but maybe he can somehow see 2019. The fact that he's still tweets on a semi regular basis makes me think that he may still have a few months left at least. (9/10)

25. Linda Nolan (Joey, BoB, drol, EC, Chorizo, PDF) - Way too early in her cancer battle to die. She ain't dying this year and probably ain't dying next year either. (1/10)

26. Genesis P-Orridge (Blight) - Now here's an interesting case. She has cancelled all live performances she had scheduled, and she has been almost completely silence since then. Somehow I get the feeling that it won't be long now. (8/10)

27. Carl Piddington (msc) - He has been suffering from brain cancer for years, I honestly have no idea when he's going to die. (5/10)

28. Charlotte Rae (BoB, TJS, Blight) - One of those people that makes you wonder how they lasted for so long, but maybe she's not is as bad health as she seems. (7.5/10)

29. Simon Ricketts (EC, PDF, deadsox) - Cancer has returned with it being inoperable and being very weak. I do think he'll get a UK obit, but then again, I also thought that for Colin Butts. (9/10)

30. Fernando Ricksen (Joey, BoB, Chorizo, deadsox) - I thought he might've be more of a 2019 fatality, but he has been looking more frail recently and team mates are now asking for prayers. Gives me similar vibes that the Liam Miller prayer tweets did. (8.5/10)

31. Stefan Karl Stefansson (Joey, TJS, PDF, deadsox, msc) - Looks pretty healthy for someone with no treatment options. I think he could see 2019, but I wouldn't rule out a turn for the worse late in the year. (7/10)

32. Nobby Stiles (TJS, EC, PDF) - I do feel that it is his year to die and will probably be the hit that bites back at me the most. IMO, it's a matter of when rather than if. (9/10)

33. Bernard Tapie (drol) - He could last another year, but having two types of cancers (both of which don't have good survival rates) doesn't boast his chances of surviving to 2019 well. (8/10)

34. Marieke Vervoort (Joey, BoB, TJS, drol, Chorizo, deadsox, Blight) - Still not entirely convinced that she'll see 2019 due to the very long hospitalization, but I certainly feel less certain of her chances of dying this year then I was 6 months ago. (6/10)

35. Mike Willesee (PDF) - He seems to be doing extremely well on immunotherapy, and despite looking bad, I don't think his cancer was that advanced to begin with. (4/10)

36. Yusuke Yamaguchi (Chorizo) - Was hospitalized for a stroke last year, but he seemed to have recovered. (2/10)

37. Tiffany Youngs (TJS) - In remission now. I think that she's probably a safe bet to see the year out. (1/10)

So with an updated scoreboard, here is what it looks like if we take the score of everyone with an 8 or above and say that they become a hit:

Spoiler
  1. Ethnic Cleansing - 148
  2. Day In The Death - 138
  3. Bucket of Blood - 137
  4. Deceased Hose - 133
  5. Pity Da Foolz - 132
  6. Thomas Jefferson Survives - 132
  7. Drollercoaster - 131
  8. Pan Breed - 127
  9. Heading Nowhere - 124
  10. The Blight House - 123

Hm, so it looks like Ethnic Cleansing is the new favorite to win the DDP and with good reason, they were one of the only teams who didn't go for Vervoort at all besides Pity Da Foolz, but his joker isn't a near guarantee like Cleansing and the Butts nonobit hurts him. However, I would keep a close eye on those with a score of 7, 6, and even some of the 5's. I feel that anyone who I put a score of at least 5 have potential of being game changing, which would help or hurt someone chances of winning the title. For example, I feel that Devin Lima would eliminate me from winning the title while Marieke Vervoort would likely be a KO for Ethnic Cleansing and Pity Da Foolz. 

So, you can tell me how wrong some of analysis may be, but this is how I feel where each of these picks for those near the top stand at this point...

• Like 2

Here's a particularly tragic story.  Nothing to do with DDP except for the fact that I wish she was my joker.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/upandcoming-snowboarder-dies-on-her-18th-birthday/news-story/89770f0ddf32d5e936850180db5c7a48

Let's tot it up.  Assuming that this is not a natural death......

12 points for being 18

3 points for being unique

3 points for unnatural causes

5 points for the party pooper bonus.

Multiplied by 2 for being the joker.

46 big DDP points.  Might be handy hereabouts.

9 hours ago, Dr_T said:

Here's a particularly tragic story.  Nothing to do with DDP except for the fact that I wish she was my joker.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/upandcoming-snowboarder-dies-on-her-18th-birthday/news-story/89770f0ddf32d5e936850180db5c7a48

Let's tot it up.  Assuming that this is not a natural death......

12 points for being 18

3 points for being unique

3 points for unnatural causes

5 points for the party pooper bonus.

Multiplied by 2 for being the joker.

46 big DDP points.  Might be handy hereabouts.

Though I wonder if she had been eligible, as she wasn't 18 at the time of picking. That also kept me from picking Malala Yousafzai one year.

The snowboarder has received several QOs now.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Ever see the date on an obit for a fringes figure like that and think "that was 5 years ago? FFS".

Pretty sure he would’ve been a very popular joker if he was 18...

Dana Scatton was my 17-yr going on 18 year old, but glad not, it’s all I can do to find an update (she’s alive fwiw, according to brother’s FB).  QO 1% now but had she died in childbirth it was 90% sob story.  Just another cancer mum now 

SC