Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

8 hours ago, Deathray said:

Oh no, that one was deliberate spade couldn't be arsed adding a load of rando dementia sufferers to the database.

A little harsh that :( However rando dementia sufferers sounds a lot better than randy dementia sufferers.  Wrinkly old people trying to work out what goes in where like they were assembling Ikea furniture is a very unfortunate mental image.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not to be a bother, especially with how busy you must be with the 2019 entries, but I noticed a few minor issues.

1. DI's space theme team Decaying Orbit-uaries is at 0 points in the Theme Team League table, but it's actually at 39 points.

2. God bless ya for updating the scoreboard for Bill Slater and Penny Marshall already, but when you click on both their bios, there is no date of death. Dunno if you intentionally left that for later or not.

Before you ask, I've fuck all better to do during the holiday season. :P

I know exactly what the latter issue was, it was just me being lazy in updating the backend. The former god knows, will look at it this weekend.

• Thanks 1

Some banal trivia about the 2018 DDP:

All 366 days of the year were represented in the birthdays of this year's picks. The most popular birthday was December 7th  (17 picks, including hit Oliver Dragojevic). Least popular birthdays, with one celeb a piece, were November 16th (Frank Bruno) and January 25th (Robinho). 

The three most-picked jokers (Bracknell, Vervoort, Douglas) have all made it to December 25th at least. John McCain was the only person selected by more than 10 teams as a joker to die (so far). Jessica Falkholt was the most popular joker pick who didn't make the Drop 40. 

• Like 9

Still stunned Falkholt wasn't D40, though close.  But I get it, she was a 'researcher' type pick, vs big old common name DPer pick.  That said, when someone posts a Boxing Day head on collision where everyone has died except her, and she's in a coma on life support -- please pay attention people.  Could be something along those lines still to come this week.
SC

It's the year of the shit jokers. Me, DI, Joey, Rad, Deadsox, ZZL and others would be top with a successful joker.

3 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Still stunned Falkholt wasn't D40, though close.  But I get it, she was a 'researcher' type pick, vs big old common name DPer pick.  That said, when someone posts a Boxing Day head on collision where everyone has died except her, and she's in a coma on life support -- please pay attention people.  Could be something along those lines still to come this week.
SC

Late on last year I was tempted to make Falkholt my Joker. Was sorely tempted but in the end risk aversion (and the Holmlund thing) went against her. My own joker lives, Falkholt would have been 24 points and if you look at the current DDP table I am 15 points off the top! Feck. It's the single 1 pick decisions which are the difference between DDP winners and DDP also-rans.

With Sister Wendy Beckett's death, that makes 3 of my drops from 2017 to bite the dust this year, along with Mary Ellis and Burt Reynolds. Hmph!

As posted elsewhere, Sono Osato has died, a unique hit for Obituarynotice.

Awaiting QO

If Osato gets her obit (I don't think she will), that's only the 10th hit of December 2018. An incredibly quiet month - and December is usually one of the busiest months of the year!

On the other hand, this bodes well for January 2019 being a huge month and a rocket-fast start to the DDP, especially with how few shortlisters have died before the starting line.

1 hour ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

On the other hand, this bodes well for January 2019 being a huge month and a rocket-fast start to the DDP, especially with how few shortlisters have died before the starting line.

Now watch Ricksen,Ricketts, Rick Robey and Rory Calhoun III all kick the bucket in the next few days

Regarding the earlier conversation about how this has been such a dud year for jokers...

As it stands today, December 27th, only 3 teams in the top 10 have had a hit with their joker. This is the worst year as far as records go back (2003). The next worst years, 2004 and 2009, had 6 of the top 10 with dead jokers.

• Like 2

With Simon Ricketts now getting an obit, I’d say it’s almost certain at this point that Pity Da Foolz will get the win. Congrats man. :) 

• Like 2

If I did the math right, I now fall from 9th place to 13th place.

And I was so excited for my first top 10 finish, especially after I just missed out last year too at =11th! :(

Oh, well, still a good performance and I did smash my personal hits record. If only I had chosen a better joker.... whatever, onto 2019!

Looking like PDF, Ethnic Cleansing, and Deceased Hose will be the new podium? Deffo a kudos moment for deadsox, despite being a top player for so long he's never finished higher than 9th.

• Like 2

2 more sleeps.

Let's face it, nobody's asleep early hours of 2019. Now if my remaining picks for next year would be good enough to remain breathing until at least 2nd January, I'll be eternally grateful.

Just realised Nicked but not Dead have stolen the theme team league at the death.....

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Just realised Nicked but not Dead have stolen the theme team league at the death.....

Could still be beaten tomorrow....

I didn't realise that Simon Ricketts had died until I posted my Deathrace team. I have been following his twitter feed for a while and I found it most unexpected. Like Stefannsob this year and Grainger in years past, I have found his death a little difficult, I think I would have enjoyed a beer with him given the opportunity. 

It it is only Vervoort who can beat me now (and if that happened I would slip outside the top ten-now that would be a story). So the bottle hasn't been cracked but definitely on ice.  

It will be a win for shoddy research, cause as I have already posted, with more thorough research I would've fallen dmown the same Vervoort rabbit hole as most of the other contenders.There were a couple of bad misses, but being Australian helped with Falkholt (which was front page news) and Vanessa Goodwin being nailed on certs. 

I'll check back in early new tear's day to confirm the result.k

cheers Dr T

• Like 6

I didn't want to post this yesterday, as Spade was probably busy with all the 2019 Ricketts subs, but there is a little correction to be made.

Yesterday, when Ricketts died, his Guardian obit put his age as 48, and Spade awarded 13 points (including D40 bonus) accordingly.

Well, as it says in his DDP bio, he was actually born in 1968. Social media suggests May 17th, so he was 50.

Luckily, controversy will be avoided as the Guardian edited their obit to say he was 50.

So that'll be 12 points, actually. No big deal, but, y'know... for fairness sake.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

I didn't want to post this yesterday, as Spade was probably busy with all the 2019 Ricketts subs, but there is a little correction to be made.

Yesterday, when Ricketts died, his Guardian obit put his age as 48, and Spade awarded 13 points (including D40 bonus) accordingly.

Well, as it says in his DDP bio, he was actually born in 1968. Social media suggests May 17th, so he was 50.

Luckily, controversy will be avoided as the Guardian edited their obit to say he was 50.

So that'll be 12 points, actually. No big deal, but, y'know... for fairness sake.

Ricketts death jumps me up a little which now means me and Blight House are tied in 8th for best newbie I think?

Also after much complaining early doors about my two near identical teams and them potentially stealing a top ten slot from someone else it has all worked out quite tidily as with four teams in joint 8th it actually has made virtually no difference.

My teams are now in.  Best of luck and Happy New Year to all.  Thanks to Spade for all his work.

13 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's a pretty weak theme that they've gone for to be fair. I'd be surprised if there weren't other teams in the DDP who could claim the same theme.

Ah well.