Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

Ah, but there is a silver lining for you - with Ricketts's age at death revised to 50, Nicked but not Dead loses a point, bringing them to a tie with your theme, and yours has one more hit!

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

Ah, but there is a silver lining for you - with Ricketts's age at death revised to 50, Nicked but not Dead loses a point, bringing them to a tie with your theme, and yours has one more hit!

Bloody hell. This truly is squeaky bum time.

To all the people who keep picking cancer mums.

The top 5 teams are all free of such shitty picks, so there's no need for it in the DDP.

Thomas Jefferson Survives lets the side down of a clean top 10 with Laura Barry. 

The point remains though, you don't need to pick dying cancer mums to do well in this in fact it seems you're better off not doing so. So can we do away with the cancer mums good and proper for 2019?

• Like 2

Nancy Roman died on the 26th according to NY Times. Still applies for Party Pooper?

46 minutes ago, drol said:

Nancy Roman died on the 26th according to NY Times. Still applies for Party Pooper?

No, take those points away, ha ha!

Looking like my main team will finish in the top 60, my Comedy team has done fairly well again and TOTP yet again gets one solitary hit.

Overall, I'm amazed.

• Like 2

Congrats to all for such solid performances this year :clap:

Next year, I think I want to make a pop punk/punk rockers theme team where I can add Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria just so I can see what the description writer will say about his hair or (maybe) his voice.

8 hours ago, Deathray said:

To all the people who keep picking cancer mums.

The top 5 teams are all free of such shitty picks, so there's no need for it in the DDP.

Thomas Jefferson Survives lets the side down of a clean top 10 with Laura Barry. 

The point remains though, you don't need to pick dying cancer mums to do well in this in fact it seems you're better off not doing so. So can we do away with the cancer mums good and proper for 2019?

I thnk it's a bit harsh to class Laura Barry in with the "cancer mums".  She was a jockey and she had ridden a bunch of winners, so would have had her name in the papers regularly outside of her illness.  She would have been known to a fair number of the general public.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I thnk it's a bit harsh to class Laura Barry in with the "cancer mums".  She was a jockey, and she had ridden a bunch of winners so would have had her name in the papers regularly outside of her illness.  She would have been known to a fair number of the general public.

I'll accept that ruling. Especially as it makes my point even more clear. You don't need you fucking cancer mums folks.

• Thanks 1

Ive unpinned this. If it needs repinning, give me (or any other mod/admin) a shout. 

Deadline for obits has passed so congrats to Pity Da Foolz on his victory. :clap:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Ive unpinned this. If it needs repinning, give me (or any other mod/admin) a shout. 

Could at least wait til the formal announcement of a winner. Fucking hell! 

Yeah, congratulations to PDF. :) 

Will admit I was a little bit dissapointed to fall out of the top 5 in the last week of the year,  but that’s life. Am definitely proud of my performance overall though...

• Like 1

I'll keep it temp pinned again until Spade posts the final 2018 update to the site...

Well done to Pity Da Foolz :) A reminder of just how important jokers are - and how sometimes your research missing a popular name can be amazing luck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations!!

And with quite the margin, too!

• Like 1

Congrats! A good underdog story.

Well done, Dr T!

Congratulations to PDF.  A fine win in an exciting race!

Congrats to all the Top 3.

There’s something slightly gutting about finishing 4th looking at the podium with the best view rather than any other place especially when you know you’d have taken second if Colin Butts had a bloody obit!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind messages.  There was certainly a good deal of luck involved primarily with avoiding Marieke Vervoort.  If I had seen one particular story I would've selected her as my joker with all the others. Being Australian was no disadvantage, the Jessica Falkholt tragedy was front page news in the lead-up to new year's and Vanessa Goodwin was a tap in.

Of course it was the selection of SKS as joker which gave me the advantage. At some times during the year I thought this was a master stroke at others a mistake, but come about April it looked like bad news for him. I was saddened by his death, he seemed like he had a lot of good in him. I was also surprised and saddened by the death of Simon Ricketts, his Twitter feed showed that his good humour lasted till the end. 

I never thought I was much of a chance of winning until Spade posted that he considered Pity Da Foolz favourite assuming Vervoort decided to live (and so it proved). Mrs T is busy bragging to her friends about her husband's achievement and only 95% of it is tongue in cheek. I have entered PDF again for 2019 but while I expect to be vaguely competitive I have included a couple of somewhat left field local picks which will give me a bit of difference to the other contenders. 

Thanks to Spade for all his hard work during the year (especially the very frequent updates). My mind boggles at how long it must take to keep it all running.  Perhaps I should also thank him for not entering DQSP which obviously makes it that much easier to win. 

Good luck to all for DDP2019.

Cheers Dr T

• Like 11

Well done Dr T, I didn't realise that was your team.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dr_T said:

Thanks for the kind messages.  There was certainly a good deal of luck involved primarily with avoiding Marieke Vervoort.  If I had seen one particular story I would've selected her as my joker with all the others. Being Australian was no disadvantage, the Jessica Falkholt tragedy was front page news in the lead-up to new year's and Vanessa Goodwin was a tap in.

Of course it was the selection of SKS as joker which gave me the advantage. At some times during the year I thought this was a master stroke at others a mistake, but come about April it looked like bad news for him. I was saddened by his death, he seemed like he had a lot of good in him. I was also surprised and saddened by the death of Simon Ricketts, his Twitter feed showed that his good humour lasted till the end. 

I never thought I was much of a chance of winning until Spade posted that he considered Pity Da Foolz favourite assuming Vervoort decided to live (and so it proved). Mrs T is busy bragging to her friends about her husband's achievement and only 95% of it is tongue in cheek. I have entered PDF again for 2019 but while I expect to be vaguely competitive I have included a couple of somewhat left field local picks which will give me a bit of difference to the other contenders. 

Thanks to Spade for all his hard work during the year (especially the very frequent updates). My mind boggles at how long it must take to keep it all running.  Perhaps I should also thank him for not entering DQSP which obviously makes it that much easier to win. 

Cheers Dr T

Well done, mate! What is your 2019 list?

Well done @Dr_T well done.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dr_T said:

Cheers Dr T

Well done Mate

A nice winning post too.

Good on ye :)

• Thanks 1