Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Tessa Jowell

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m not sure how the general public of the UK feels about her legacy, but at the very least, her role in securing the Summer Olympics for 2012 will always be significant...

She is known for the Olympics mostly but was also involved in Sure start children's centres and was known for brown nosing Tony Blair and  being an ally of Denis Healey when she was young.Growing up I always confused her with Harriet Harman. 

• Like 1

Legacy? Lol.

Olympics? Lol.

That was for engerland roey.

Bitch can burn. Hoor of a cunto.

Had her written off as the most banal, useless of second-tier Blair administration filled suits, but learning that's she'd nicknamed her tumour "Momentum" definitely the funniest thing I've heard in an obit this year.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sean said:

She is known for the Olympics mostly but was also involved in Sure start children's centres and was known for brown nosing Tony Blair and  being an ally of Denis Healey when she was young.Growing up I always confused her with Harriet Harman. 

Had The Reaper confused her with Harriet Harman I'd get the first hit in the By-Election Bingo 2017-22 DP.

"One less after Tess" - is that acceptable english? Or is it "fewer"?

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

"One less after Tess" - is that acceptable english? Or is it "fewer"?

If you can count 'em it's fewer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to confess there are few celebs deaths that reduce me to tears , and certainly not politicians, but Tessa Jowell is a rare exception. Just the way she fought her illness like a tiger to the very end has really touched me. Condolences to all her family and friends. 

I  hasten to add I am not a fan of Tony Blair or his policies !

• Like 3

Another one bites the dust.

I never heard of her. (I live in The United States)

Sorry to hear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cat O'Falk said:

That's the rule I heard. So I assume "fewer" is correct?

But I don't want to turn into Stannis Baratheon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The lessons weren't wasted on Ser Davos.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Had her written off as the most banal, useless of second-tier Blair administration filled suits, but learning that's she'd nicknamed her tumour "Momentum" definitely the funniest thing I've heard in an obit this year.

Apparently the character Nicola Murray out the Thick of it was based on her.

5 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I have to confess there are few celebs deaths that reduce me to tears , and certainly not politicians, but Tessa Jowell is a rare exception. Just the way she fought her illness like a tiger to the very end has really touched me. Condolences to all her family and friends. 

I  hasten to add I am not a fan of Tony Blair or his policies !

Yeah I am not a great fan of Labour especially Blair Brown or Campbell.She always seemed one of the least offending members of that dire New Labour project.I agree though that the way she handled herself the last few months showed guts and a level of determination that was commendable.I am glad she is no longer suffering as she was clearly struggling. At least the end was quick and she was still out and about until very recently.

I didn't realize she had died until I checked the news a few minutes ago.

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:20, Sean said:

McCain however hasn't been seen in public for several weeks so I reckon he will go before Tessa.

Just shows you can never tell .Maybe all her public appearances drained the life out of her ! 

On 5/13/2018 at 17:43, Cat O'Falk said:

No doubt 'fewer' will be used when they get around to Nick Hewer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never heard of her, sounds like a made-up person. Think the committee's got some 'splainin' to do.....

Nonetheless, may the old bowl cut lady rest in peace.

One point I think everyone has missed in her legacy is that the Olympics might have been a success but the Paralympics in London set new standards which have - near enough - obliged the rest of the world to get serious about them. They'd been a damp and largely under-attended postscript to previous games but the crowds in London - especially when Johnny Peacock and Oscar Pistorius were running - were exceptional and very loud. Clearly not all down to Dame Tessa but placing those games on a similar footing and getting behind them re publicity etc. made a difference.

• Like 5

Maybe a name I shouldn't have revealed, but Jessica Morris has written about Tessa Jowell in this Guardian article while confirming that she herself is suffering from brain cancer. She has created a non profit organization called OurBrainBank, in which the goal is to move glioblastoma from terminal to treatable, so a QO when she dies isn't implausible...