Sean

Peter Lorimer

Peter Lorimer the Leeds United legend who gained 450 caps and scored over 150 goals for the team over 17 years as well as playing internationally for Scotland turns 71 today!:birthday:

A surprising milestone as 6 months ago he was said to be in hospital seriously ill with brain cancer.He has been scarcely heard of since then except for selling his memorabilia in September which may be an ominous sign.Definitely Deathlist worthy.

Right now he's a lock for my B-Team. But that may change depending on what happens on the forums in the future...

The only thing putting me off picking him is that his illness might not be well enough known for him to make the Drop 40.

But the DL are almost certain to pick him unless the lack of mainstream media coverage puts them off.

Who knows.. maybe the brain tumour is benign.

Well, the type of brain tumor it was never got announced, so I think you might be right. Though I don’t know why he has been silent for so long then...

Haven’t they got Lorimer and Hunter mixed up in the photos? Pretty sure Lorimer is the one with the longer and greyer hair. He doesn’t look obviously ill. 

Based on current evidence, there’s several big name players from the 1960s and 1970s in worse shape than Lorimer. Dennis Law, Jack Charlton, Jimmy Greaves and Nobby Stiles (how he’s lasted this long is a minor miracle) are clear examples. 

Maybe he’s not that ill after all. He never confirmed the fact that he had brain cancer, did he? Nor was there any articles announcing his diagnosis apart from one, and that one that did report his hospitalization leads to an error now...

7 hours ago, Deathrace said:

Haven’t they got Lorimer and Hunter mixed up in the photos? Pretty sure Lorimer is the one with the longer and greyer hair. He doesn’t look obviously ill. 

Aye, none of that trio look good dead pooling bets either, positively brimming with health compared to some of the other high profile tottering heroes of their generation. If anyone's seen The Damned United it's worth throwing in my opinion that Cloughie's assessment that they won by cheating is fairly accurate (filthy fuckers on the one occasion I saw the remnants of Don Revie's Leeds team play). Hunter - pictured - with the other two was one of the main assassins along with the ginger midget after whom they've named the square.

Somewhat surprising that no mention is made of ex-team mate Paul Madeley who died earlier in the week. 

Paul Reaney - 73 and still alive - gets few mentions these days either. He will -however - make an interesting obit as and when because he's what would be regarded these days as mixed race so the obit-writers will have to tackle the question of whether Reaney (in 1968) or the fully black Viv Anderson (in 1978) was England's first "black" player.

I was having a looking around private sources for any news on Lorimer. A few tweets in 2017 made Drol put him on his DDP team, after all, but news has been very quiet.

Anyhow, private sources (OK, the Leeds United History lot) have confirmed that Peter Lorimer DOES have brain cancer. The whispers around the Leeds fans are "life threatening" but I don't know the exact type. Just that its significantly cut down his public appearances to nearly sod all, and that the Express made reference to his poor health in the Summer.

So there you go, there is fire with the smoke, but I dunno how bad it is.

Reading persistent but as yet unsubstantiated reports that  Peter Lorimer is seriously unwell. Been a terrible 12 months for LUFC's old boys. 

Twitter says he’s in hospice care, so likely a goner in the next few weeks

This tweet disputes he's in hospice care but it still doesn't sound good. Fuck knows where they're all getting this info from though.

Blast from the past.

Lorimer was the man with the concrete football boot.

Probably only Bobby Charlton was able to hit a ball as hard and as sweetly as Lorimer.

Let's not forget, the ball was fucking heavier then.

17 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Lorimer was the man with the concrete football boot.

Probably only Bobby Charlton was able to hit a ball as hard and as sweetly as Lorimer.

Let's not forget, the ball was fucking heavier then.

Dickie on creating FA Cup history 44 years ago - News - AFC Wimbledon

He famously missed a penalty against non-league Wimbledon in the FA Cup. Saved by Dickie Guy (now there's an original name!)

5 minutes ago, Exu said:

Dickie on creating FA Cup history 44 years ago - News - AFC Wimbledon

He famously missed a penalty against non-league Wimbledon in the FA Cup. Saved by Dickie Guy (now there's an original name!)

I remember the games.

One commentator screamed 'He is not human!!!! ( or words to that effect) when Guy made yet another save as Leeds battered the shit out of Wimbledon.

Guy was a wanted man but turned all offers down to stay part time.

• Like 1