Joey Russ

33. Willie Nelson

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Get a bad feeling that he could be the first major vaccine casualty

And why is that you think he will

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

News coming out of Norway: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-15/norway-warns-of-vaccination-risks-for-sick-patients-over-80

Considering Willie is 87 and weighs less than his age I'd say he's at risk

Well only time will tell.

But what about Prince Philip then who is almost 100 now and had several health issues the last years

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Well only time will tell.

But what about Prince Philip then who is almost 100 now and had several Heath issues the last years

Fair point, wasn't aware Phil was vaccinated.  The picture of Willie getting the shot didn't fill me with confidence about his future.

Willie always was frail, but I’m not necessarily sure the vaccine will kill him. Still think he’s a better pick than other give him credit for mind.

On 28/02/2021 at 23:48, mollyafox said:

Reveals that his secret to his longevity is regular exercise. 

Seems very sharp, with more energy than me.

I think Willie will be the last Highwayman to die. Kris Kristofferson is in bad condition & would be a good pick for 2022 if he makes it that far.

Co-headling Farm Aid with the great Neil Young in September. Form spotting opportunity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arghton said:

Performing a couple of days ago

I'd take him off for 2022. Feels like he has at least 2-3 years left I would say. 

I think Willie will make it to 90.

Who is the man at around 2:10 (drum)? He doesn't look so great

They could replace Nelson with the other living Highwayman, Kris Kristofferson who is actually retired and apparently not in great health.

9 minutes ago, arghton said:

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2022/02/10/willie-nelson-releases-ill-love-you-till-the-day-i-die-the-lead-single-from-forthcoming-album-a-beautiful-time/

Announces new studio album A Beautiful Time with original songs and covers of the Beatles and Leonard Cohen to be released on his 89th in April.

Got a Johnny Cash ‘Hurt’ feeling to it.

Bobbie Nelson (wikidead at 91.

Country pianist and singer in her own right, but also the only sibling of Willie. A key member of his "Family" band. Willie is now one of the 2 surviving original members of the band. There were 6 original members.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

I wonder if it was sudden, she seemed to be in pretty good health on her 90th and played the piano in The Willie Nelson Family (November 2021 album)

Seems like Willie has (according to ticketmaster) cancelled all his concerts for this month and up to 420

Performing on the 17th of March. Doesn't look or sound so bad now, might make it to 90

• Like 1

Edit: Never mind, seems to have been an old video.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, arghton said:

89 today, here's an interview from 10 days ago. Honestly, sounds pretty okay and still very lucid:

Seems a bit yellow, but that could just be the lighting again. Of course he looks frail as he has for most of the last decade, but in much better condition than I thought he'd be, as far as I know he hasn't given many interviews during the past year

The yellowness just looks like lighting to me. Clearly he's still pretty sharp mentally and physically he's holding up reasonably. I think he'll be around for a while yet. 

Some kind of an update as it seems that April video was from April 2021 instead of April 2022. Performed at the Palomino Festival a week ago.

• Like 1

Big bit on Willie Nelson paywalled in the NYT.

But according to the gist, Willie Nelson is still recovering from being gravely ill with covid in May, to the point his family thought he was going to die. 

After returning to their ranch home in Spicewood, Texas, the couple brought a mobile medical unit to his ranch. “We turned the house into a hospital,” she said. “There were a couple of times when I wasn’t sure he was going to make it.” It took six days before Nelson was on the road to recovery.

“I had a pretty rough time with it,” the “On the Road Again” singer added. “COVID ain’t nothing to laugh at, that’s for sure.”

He's performed on stage since then, because he's Willie Nelson, of course.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Willie just won the Grammy for Best Country Album, and he did not attend the ceremony. No reason was given, and presenter Shania Twain accepted the award on his behalf. 

EDIT: Adding the video 

• Like 5

Willie Nelson will be celebrating a milestone birthday this weekend by rocking out.  The country music legend is turning 90 on Saturday.

In honor of the big day, he and some of his famous friends will be performing at the Hollywood Bowl Saturday and Sunday nights.

SC

• Like 1