Wormfarmer

Five4Three2One Deadpool - 2018

Note:  Entries are closed for 2018.  

Gonna try a new pool I've had turning in my head.  This one might take a bit more work throughout the year than some pools, kind of like managing a fantasy football team, something almost every guy in the US does these days, it seems.  This is a tournament of 12 months, with a cumulative score at the end determining the winner. 

The game:

Submit your TEAM - a list of 5 names.  Your top (first) name is worth 5 points if they die, your second name is worth 4 pts, and so on down to your bottom name which is worth 1 pt.  Get your list in at any time beginning now, but this first list will score points only if you get a hit (and subsequent QO) during the month of January (I will use Wikipedia for the dates of all deaths).  If you get a hit on the 31st (or last day of any month), you will double your points for that hit.  So a top name would score 10 or a bottom name scores 2.  Double points will also be awarded during the entire last week of December (Xmas through the 31st).  This is the only bonus of the game. 

At the close of January, all lists become null, all names become free agents, and new lists can be submitted that will be good for the month of February, etc.  You can only use a name once during the year at any given point position, and not in consecutive months.  (So a max of 5 times for any given name).  Also, once a name is posted at the top spot, no one else can use that name at the top spot for that month, same with the 4 spot, and so on.  So any given name can only be on 5 active lists in any given month.  But if a name is closed out in Jan, you will have another crack at it in Feb, and so on. 

If you get new intel about someone sick or injured, etc, you do not need to wait until the new month to post your new list.  If you choose, you can post your next months list early (an inactive list), following the rules above which specify no duplicates at a given slot and no playing a name in consecutive months.  NOTE: However, once you post your next months list, your active list is then void and you are unable to score for the rest of that month, (until your inactive list becomes active at the start of the next month).  Which means you forfeit your chance at the month end bonus.

I will post monthly standings, and try to police any illegal picks.  New entries will be welcome until Jan 30th, but I may close it sooner if I get 20 entries (21 entries for 2018 were received).  

QO's:  Any name scored by the Derby or AO Deadpools will be scored, or if they get a QO in the Associated Press. 

Last time I started a pool I caught some flak for putting my list out at the same time as the call for entries, so this time I will wait until the weekend to post my own team.  I am sure there will be plenty of spoils left for me by then.  I hope that covers it.  Good luck and I hope to see some January teams soon!  WF

Final Standings
1 gcreptile (27) playoff victor
2 Captain Chorizo (27)
3. Sean (18)
4 (tie) The Quim Reaper (17)
4 (tie) Joey Russ (17) 
6  Sir Creep (15)
7 (tie) Fixed Business (14)
7 (tie) Wormfarmer (14)
9  EXU (11)
10  theoldlady (9)
11 (tie)  Prophet (6)
11 (tie)  BOU1 (6) 
13 Youwanticewiththat (5)
14  Yorkshire Banker (3)
Bentrovato (0)
Bibliogryphon (0)

Edited by Wormfarmer
added end of year standings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Leah Bracknell

2. Kim Jong Un

3. Walter Koenig

4. Yoko Ono

5. David Prowse

1 Carmen Franco

2 John McCain

3 Don Lusk

4 Nabi Tajima

5 Billy Graham

Really like the concept of this Wormfarmer

1 Dilip Kumar

2Yamaguchi-San

3 Patrick Cryne

4Paul Alcock

5Carmen Franco

1)Rayya Elias

2)Alberto Fujimori

3)Matt Capotelli

4)Marieke Vervoot

5) Fernando Ricksen

• Thanks 1

1) Patrick Cryne

2) Leah Bracknell

3) Rayya Elias

4) Salvador Sobral

5) John McCain

Edited by The Quim Reaper
Beaten to 1st for Bracknell

1.) John McCain

2.) Fernando Ricksen

3.) Leah Bracknell

4.) Rayya Elias

5.) Dean Francis

Let’s start with a theme team:

1. John Cleese 

2. Terry Gilliam 

3. Eric Idle 

4. Terry Jones 

5. Michael Palin 

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Let’s start with a theme team:

1. John Cleese 

2. Terry Gilliam 

3. Eric Idle 

4. Terry Jones 

5. Michael Palin 

The theme is people who starred opposite the two Ronnies, right?

:P

• Haha 1

1) Leah Bracknell
2) Nobby Stiles
3) Valerie Harper
4) Greg Gilbert
5) George HW Bush

Footballers for me:

Muller

Stiles

Sansom

Armfield

Greaves

Here's mine.

1. Doris Day

2. Queen Elizabeth the 2nd 

3. Chubby Checker

4.Bob Dylan

5.Brigitte Bardot

And I did a theme too, people who were mentioned in we didn't start the fire song.

• Thanks 1

1. Leah Bracknell

2. John McCain

3. Olivia Newton-John

4. Valerie Harper

5. Javier Perez de Cuellar

Great to see there are 11 entries on the first day!  Thanks for giving it a try.  That said, I have a few list violations to report.   Quim, Fixed Business and Unknown Man - you all have Leah Bracknell at the top spot.  TheOldLady (first entry posted) beat you to it, so you are all in violation of the rule "once a name is posted at the top spot, no one else can use that name at the top spot for that month, same with the 4 spot, and so on.  Thus any given name can only be on 5 active lists in any given month."  There are still 3 slots left in January for Leah, though, so . . .  ready, set  . . . GO!  Unknown Man you are in violation of the same rule with John McCain in the 4 spot as Bou1 already has him there, and finally Exu is in violation of said rule with Nobby Stiles in the 4 slot (lost out to Fixed Business this month).  I will accept name replacements at any time, but your lists will not be active until they meet the guidelines, so try to fix them before Jan 1.  I will of course hold all your legal picks so they cannot be taken by another entry whilst you are in limbo.  Carry on!

Ahh i see, I didn't understand that rule at first, sorry bout that, let me try again.
1. Valerie Harper
2. Nobby Stiles
3. Greg Gilbert
4. Leah Bracknell
5. George HW Bush

1) Marieke Vervoort

2) Jessica Falkholt

3) Johnny Hubbard

4) Bobby Zarin

5) Lou Henson

Edit: January List...

Just so I get this right...

- I may pick people already picked by others, but not in the same slot

- However each slot is free again in a new month

- I may not pick people I've already picked in the previous month.

- However I may pick the same person in 5 of 12 months per year

- I may submit my monthly list at any time, but the picks only score in said month

1. Olivia Newton-John

2. Javier Perez de Cuellar

3. Tessa Jowell

4. Isabel Peron

5. Yasuhiro Nakasone

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Just so I get this right...

- I may pick people already picked by others, but not in the same slot

- However each slot is free again in a new month

- I may not pick people I've already picked in the previous month.

- However I may pick the same person in 5 of 12 months per year

- I may submit my monthly list at any time, but the picks only score in said month

All TRUE! 

May I elaborate on point #5:  You may submit your list prior to the end of the month, (maybe dire news breaks providing a name that you want to snatch up for your top spot before it is taken by someone else), but in doing so you void your current month's list and your shot at the double points should one of your current names die on the last day of the month.  Your list is locked in for the following month, but you cannot score with it until the new month starts.  So if someone goes on life support on May 4th, it may not be a wise decision to drop your May list and post your June list with that name.  But if it happens on the 27th . . .  it may be a worthwhile strategy. 

This is supposed to be a dynamic game, with 12 "teams" generated throughout the year, allowing folks to monitor the news and stay involved, as opposed to the games where you do all the work up front and then wait 12 months to see the results. 

Thirteen entries already!  I hope it lives up to the enthusiasm.  I do have to request that Bou1 and Cap Chorizo submit a replacement pick for Carmen Franco, who died today of cancer.  Sorry she couldn't wait long enough for you two to get her into scoring position.  Please leave your other 4 names as is and just fill in your empty spot.  Shifting names around has ramifications for some of the other lists already submitted.  Thanks, WF

I think I will replace one almost queen with another and have  Little Richard in the 5 spot

Wormfarmer's Jan list:

Charlotte Rae

Lauren Wasser

John McCain

StefánKarlStefánsson 

Roberta McCain

Edited by Wormfarmer
Death of my top pick before start

8 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

I think I will replace one almost queen with another and have  Little Richard in the 5 spot

Noted!  And by the 5 spot you are referring to the bottom (1 point) spot, just a point of clarification.