Wormfarmer

Five4Three2One Deadpool - 2018

What, huh, wha . . .  all this noisy partying just got me up out of a deep sleep.   I am still trying to even find a record of this Raya with two "Y"s person being alive in the first place.  No score on the AO, the DDP is still not up yet for 2018, and I don't see anything yet on the AP.  Even wikipedia has never heard of him.  Am I being bamboozled?  These do have to be people with some level of notoriety to get the QO's.  We'll have to wait and see . . . . 

Ahh . . . per People magazine, she's the girlfriend of an author.  Quite the resume.  How deep can we dig for these folks??  Time will tell.  

11 hours ago, Toast said:

This guy ( Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima )

142848-004-E63CC197.jpg

or this guy ( Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro)

Cristiano+Ronaldo+Portugal+v+Netherlands

The one that does need clarifying is

this guy Gerd Muller

Gerd_M%C3%BCller_2007.jpg

this guy Thomas Muller

3A93C7D200000578-3971646-image-m-32_1480084283924.jpg

or this guy known as Muller

foto35-1.jpg

10 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Wahey, that's 3 points to me too!

Though obviously it's a very sad occasion and R.I.P. and all. 

But still, wahey!

Sorry about that! Congratulations to you too! Don`t know how I missed your entry. 

• Haha 1

Two teams hit with Jessica Falkholt.  Just updated the scoring table, near the bottom of page 2.  I wanted to highlight the death in red, but underlining was the best I could figure out how to do.  Next month when Feb teams are all in I will list the teams in scoring order (alphabetically for ties).  A search of the AP for Rayya Elias obit yielded nothing.  Derby isn't up yet and it looks like she was missed in the AO pool.  So for now, "The partner of author Elizabeth Gilbert dies" is the best I can find for Rayya.  When your picks obit headline doesn't even refer to them by name, that is a hint that you are digging way too deep for your "celebrities".  You need to go out and get some sun. 

On 1/4/2018 at 00:28, Wormfarmer said:

That does it!  We have 20 complete and active lists for the inaugural version of the Five4three2one DP.  I have made a complete matrix  for Jan and will post it below.  I am amazed at the percentage of new names that come in even after I have been doing this for a few years. Truly a global competition.  That said, please use full names in the future on your teams, as I am not familiar with European footballers, and many others that are coming in (tho' the Python cast are certainly universal).  I am not aware of any hits yet, so it is all square as we embark on a new year of carnage.  I am going to take a stab at the winning score and say it will fall somewhere in the 33 - 35 range, and that will be impressive.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the ride.

JAN Teams 5 pts 4 pts 3 pts 2 pts 1 pt
theoldlady Leah Bracknell Kim Jong Un Walter Keonig Yoko Ono David Prowse
BOU1 Renee Simonot John McCain Don Lusk Nabi Tajima Billy Graham
Captain Chorizo Dilip Kumar Yamaguchi San Patrick Cryne Paul Alcock Little Richard
Sean Rayya Elias Alberto Fujimori Matt Capotelli Marieke Vervoot Fernando Ricksen
The Quim Reaper Patrick Cryne Leah Bracknell Rayya Elias Sal Sobral John McCain
Prophet John McCain Fernando Ricksen Leah Bracknell Rayya Elias Dean Francis
Joey Russ John Cleese Terry Gilliam Eric Idle Terry Jones Michael Palin
Fixed Business Valerie Harper Nobby Stiles Greg Gilbert Leah Bracknell George HW Bush
EXU Muller Michael E Smith Sansom Armfield Greaves
Mr. Whit Doris Day Queen Elizabeth II Chubby Checker Bob Dylan Bridget Bardot
Unknown Man Olivia Newton-John Javier Perez de Cuellar Tessa Jowell Isabel Peron Yasuhiro Nakasone
FujimoriNoMorey Alberto Fujimori Marieke Vervoot Bessie Camm Steve Bannon Nabi Tajima
gcreptile (4) Marieke Vervoot Jessica Falkholt Johnny Hubbard Bobby Zarin Lou Henson
Wormfarmer Charlotte Rae Lauren Wasser John McCain Stefan K Stefansson Roberta McCain
Bentrovato Shane McGowan Jilly Cooper Paul McCartney David Prowse Emperor Akihito
Yorkshire Banker (3) Reinhardt Hardegan Bobby Brown (fballer) Jessica Falkholt Barys Kit Bella Thorne
Deathray Norman Lloyd Stefan K Stefansson Val Kilmer Clive James Shane McGowan
Ericles Souza Isabel Peron Valery Giscard d'Estaing Susana Vieira Imelda Marcos Teofisto Guingoma Jr. 
Bibliogryphon Richard Overton Red Schoendienst Ennio Monicone Raymond Briggs Earl Cameron
Youwanticewiththat Clive James Chris Rea Frank Gehry Aretha Franklin Burt Reynolds

Double your points if you get a hit on the last day of the month.  All lists void beginning Feb 1, so submit new teams at that time to
avoid missed opportunities.  Remember you cannot use a name again in consecutive months.  Game On!  

Bobby Zarin died 13.January. 2 points Perhaps for greptile.

On 12/29/2017 at 22:25, gcreptile said:

1) Marieke Vervoort

2) Jessica Falkholt

3) Johnny Hubbard

4) Bobby Zarin

5) Lou Henson

Edit: January List...

Looks like you might get 2 points for Bobby Zarin AS well as the 4 points for Jessica Falkholt. Well Done!

• Like 1

Thanks to theoldlady for keeping a sharp eye out on the obscure death notices.  Grid on page 2 has been updated, including scores for Elias, who made the Top 40 in the Derby.  Also of dubious credibility is Bobby Zarin, who as a "husband of a 'Housewives of New York' cast member", yielded nothing with a search of the Assoc. Press, but again was made eligible by the DDP.   I guess you can always count on the DDP to score even the peasants.  So points have been awarded there.  Next month I am going to try a second cousin of a retired weatherman in Tulsa, OK, just to test the Derby's powers.  You guys are good!  Also, I have assumed for EXU's sake that "Armfield" is Jimmy Armfield, who wikipedia lists as just passed today, so credit given there.  Pony up if you intended another Armfield!  As I say, for all I know there is a whole family of footballers named Armfield!      Carry On!

11 minutes ago, Wormfarmer said:

Thanks to theoldlady for keeping a sharp eye out on the obscure death notices.  Grid on page 2 has been updated, including scores for Elias, who made the Top 40 in the Derby.  Also of dubious credibility is Bobby Zarin, who as a "husband of a 'Housewives of New York' cast member", yielded nothing with a search of the Assoc. Press, but again was made eligible by the DDP.   I guess you can always count on the DDP to score even the peasants.  So points have been awarded there.  Next month I am going to try a second cousin of a retired weatherman in Tulsa, OK, just to test the Derby's powers.

You know the Derby Dead Pool isn't itself a source of obituaries?  It has a clear list of acceptable obit sources which can be found on the rules and scoring page.

Nothing wrong with using it as a template for a deadpool - others have much less stringent QO standards (eg Death Race).

FYI here is the QO for Rayya Elias  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5238127/Eat-Pray-Love-author-mourns-death-partner.html

Yes, I was aware of that, and the rules I set were that anybody that the Derby scores will be accepted here.  Mostly I did that to remove QO debates from the game.  I am just making light of the inclusiveness of just about anybody with a hint of notoriety (like the "7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon")!  I am not familiar with most of the sources that the Derby uses for QO's, but I would guess some of them must be similar to our US rags such as the Enquirer and Globe, which search far and wide for the ill person related to the famous person.   In turn, I am sure that some of the names that qualify as "celebrities" in the states must seem like a reach for the Europeans in the game.  All's fair in life and death.  Keep 'em coming!

That's a lovely 5 more points for me, thank you!

Scores on page 2 have again been updated for Patrick Cryne and Mark E. Smith.  I have to say - - you guys are good!!

• Thanks 1

Just to be clear someone could send their Feb team now,but if they did their points for the month are locked and they couldn't get anything if someone from their Jan squad dies?

On 1/25/2018 at 02:16, Wormfarmer said:

Scores on page 2 have again been updated for Patrick Cryne and Mark E. Smith.  I have to say - - you guys are good!!

And Prophet should have 2 points for Rayya Elias. Looking forward to the February lists! This is a nice Deadpool.

• Like 1

Good eye, oldlady!  Again, page 2 scores are updated. 

And let me take this opportunity (with Jan winding down) to restate some rules for the submission of Feb teams.  Cap and Quim had questions about submitting Feb teams early - yes, you can, but once posted, your Jan team is sent to the bench and no more scoring can occur, including the double points which would be awarded with a Jan 31st hit.  With Quim's outstanding 8 pt lead I can see where he might be willing to take the risk!  You will have no opportunity to score until Feb 1, but your new team is locked in and no one else can use your players at your same point position for Feb.  Note one other important rule - - you may not use a player in consecutive months!  So for Quim Reaper: Bracknell, Sobral and J. McCain must sit out until at least March. 

I would like to post a master grid by around the 3rd to the 5th of Feb, so I hope everyone can get their teams in by then.  If there is too much dawdling, I may have to set a deadline in later months, after which I will post the grid and no new teams will be accepted for that month.  But that may not even be a problem . . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wormfarmer said:

Good eye, oldlady!  Again, page 2 scores are updated. 

And let me take this opportunity (with Jan winding down) to restate some rules for the submission of Feb teams.  Cap and Quim had questions about submitting Feb teams early - yes, you can, but once posted, your Jan team is sent to the bench and no more scoring can occur, including the double points which would be awarded with a Jan 31st hit.  With Quim's outstanding 8 pt lead I can see where he might be willing to take the risk!  You will have no opportunity to score until Feb 1, but your new team is locked in and no one else can use your players at your same point position for Feb.  Note one other important rule - - you may not use a player in consecutive months!  So for Quim Reaper: Bracknell, Sobral and J. McCain must sit out until at least March. 

I would like to post a master grid by around the 3rd to the 5th of Feb, so I hope everyone can get their teams in by then.  If there is too much dawdling, I may have to set a deadline in later months, after which I will post the grid and no new teams will be accepted for that month.  But that may not even be a problem . . . .

Did not realise about the consecutive month rule.

Looks like my Feb team just became my March team

Wormfarmer this pool is along the lines of a semi-complicated but very easy one I've kicked around in my skull a while.  Sorry I didn't throw an entry your way.  
That said, with every new DP, it seems one small idea of mine pops up here and there and if I ever launch it'll appear I stole it all LOL.  I've posted my idea before but it's lost in antiquity a couple years ago.

GL with this DP, I'll definitely give it a go 2019.

SC

• Like 2

Leading by 2pts, 2 days to go...this is the bit where I take the risk and call Feb early, only for Sean to fuck me over with Fujimori.

1) Clive James

2) Tessa Jowell

3) Marieke Vervoort

4) Leslie Phillips

5) Billy Graham

• Like 1

Feb list:

1) Leah Bracknell

2) Clive James

3) Jacques Chirac

4)  Barbara Bush

5)  Tessa Jowell

February team:

1) Bob Dole

2) Philomena Lynott

3) Genesis P-Orridge

4) Tessa Jowell

5) Barry Crimmins

I doubt anyone will go in the next few days, so here's a more serious lineup for February:

1. Genesis P-Orridge
  2. Vanessa Goodwin
  3. Nobuhiko Obayashi
  4. Stirling Moss
  5. Philomena Lynott

February team:

1)Morgan Tsvangirai

2)Brickhouse Brown

3)Kamala

4)Mark Gastineau

5)Barry du Bois