gcreptile

The Dead of 2018

You people are fast....

Just now, gcreptile said:

You people are fast....

YW a bit faster than me today. :vulture:

did anyone post the death of Sir Roger Bannister in under 4 minutes though ?  :P   

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

YW a bit faster than me today. :vulture:

You are my Chris Chataway, PB. ;)

• Haha 1

Mickey Foote, soundman and producer of The Clash's first album.

David Ogden Stiers the American actor famous for playing British characters has died at the age of 75. Most famous for M*A*S*H and for his voice acting work in Beauty and the Beast.

On 04/03/2018 at 11:33, gcreptile said:

You people are fast....

Leon Brittan is faster.

• Haha 2

The death of inventor Trevor Baylis has just been announced on the news ... unless it's a wind-up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The death of inventor Trevor Baylis has just been announced on the news ... unless it's a wind-up.

I expect numerous reports will be posted like clockwork.

One more letter and the England cricket team would have unexpectedly found themselves short of a coach.

Alan Gershwin, who is supposedly the lost son of George Gershwin, is dead at 91.

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Alan Gershwin, who is supposedly the lost son of George Gershwin, is dead at 91.

As for Alan’s claim, ‘it ain’t necessarily so’.

SC

• Haha 1

One of Hawaii's biggest surfing legends, George Downing, died early Monday morning at his home in East Oahu.  He was 87.

Downing quickly became known for immersing himself in all facets of surfing including studying swell formation, building boards, coaching other surfers and competing himself.

He won the Makaha International surfing competition in 1954, 1961 and 1965, and coached the Hawaiian team in its 1968 World Surfing Championship victory.  In 1951, Downing became known for changing the game when he created the world's first surfboard with a removable fin. 

SC

Had no idea where to put this but...

nmeaugust11th1979thumb-227x332.jpg

RIP to the NME (at least its print edition). Final issue out on Friday...

3 minutes ago, themaninblack said:

Had no idea where to put this but...

nmeaugust11th1979thumb-227x332.jpg

RIP to the NME (at least its print edition). Final issue out on Friday...

Was in The Thread Formerly Known as Crashing Companies, now better known as The Unofficial All Things Deathray Thread.

Yeah I was looking for a mention but all I could see was posts about Deathray going bananas or something.

I'm always one step behind MPFC/Spade when it comes to the hipstery stuff anyway!

1 minute ago, themaninblack said:

Yeah I was looking for a mention but all I could see was posts about Deathray going bananas or something.

I'm always one step behind MPFC when it comes to the hipster stuff anyway!

It was actually Spade who posted that, but I understand why you confused him with Maryport. For some reason, the site has it when you link a post from elsewhere, you have a big photo of the creator of the thread whereas the person who wrote the post is just small at the very top part. I have no idea why it’s structured like that...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

It was actually Spade who posted that, but I understand why you confused him with Maryport. For some reason, the site has it when you link a post from elsewhere, you have a big photo of the creator of the thread whereas the person who wrote the post is just small at the very top part. I have no idea why it’s structured like that...

Yeah hence the editing!

24 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Aye, indeed - I'd distance myself from any claim the NME was perpetual shit because for a great deal of time it wasn't. And - whilst we're on that tack - everyone forgets Sounds which was superb at its best and had a tendency to stay realistic when the others got pretentious and starting citing long dead German philosophers as role models.

43 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, indeed - I'd distance myself from any claim the NME was perpetual shit because for a great deal of time it wasn't. And - whilst we're on that tack - everyone forgets Sounds which was superb at its best and had a tendency to stay realistic when the others got pretentious and starting citing long dead German philosophers as role models.

Not everyone!

8 hours ago, time said:

I was never a NME reader, Sounds was the music paper of choice during my youth. Folded in 1991 (no pun intended).

How is it we don’t have an Asians thread?

Tang Hsiang-chien, one of Hong Kong’s pre-eminent industrialists and father to former chief secretary Henry Tang Ying-yen, died on Saturday morning. He was 95.

SC

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

How is it we don’t have an Asians thread?

Cos there are billions of them. 

• Like 1