The Dead of 2018

13 hours ago, Leon Brittan said:

Loris Karius 1993-2018.

Harsh, but fair...

Loan to Tranmere next season might just work out

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Harsh, but fair...

Loan to Tranmere next season might just work out

Hey, sad night for Liverpool, but I know a guy called Francis whose just became Karius's biggest fan...

9 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

Dick Quax, New Zealand runner and former world record holder in the 5,000 metres reportedly dead at 70... https://www.google.com/amp/www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2018/05/athletics-former-world-recordholder-dick-quax-dies.amp.html

He was on my longlist, but I’m not sure if I would’ve picked him anywhere apart from deathrace as I’m unsure of his obitality...

8 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

He was on my longlist, but I’m not sure if I would’ve picked him anywhere apart from deathrace as I’m unsure of his obitality...

What part of ‘former world record holder’ did you misread on your way to creating this anxiety-ridden concern about his QO chances?

seemed a cinch to me.  I guess maybe I’ll learn something new if it don’t happen.  

SC

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

What part of ‘former world record holder’ did you misread on your way to creating this anxiety-ridden concern about his QO chances?

seemed a cinch to me.  I guess maybe I’ll learn something new if it don’t happen.  

SC

Aye, and just being a New Zealander guaranteed him a Daily Mail Wires obit.

In 1976 he thought he'll win but Viren (of Finland) was faster. I think he never got over that. I watched that finale with my brother (RIP)

3 hours ago, The Dead Cow said:

Aye, and just being a New Zealander guaranteed him a Daily Mail Wires obit.

I thought that was only true for Australians, but maybe I’m wrong. Oh well, that does give some hope for a certain celebrity builder when he goes...

41 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I thought that was only true for Australians, but maybe I’m wrong. Oh well, that does give some hope for a certain celebrity builder when he goes...

Bob the Builder will deffo get an obit.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, John Robinson said:

I don't know where to put this, but actress Cornelia Frances of Home and Away is dead at 77...  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/home-and-away-star-cornelia-frances-dies-aged-77-20180529-p4zi48.html

She was on Home and Away, too?? That's the third one this year.

21 hours ago, bladan said:

In 1976 he thought he'll win but Viren (of Finland) was faster. I think he never got over that. I watched that finale with my brother (RIP)

Aye, always been mucho speculation about Viren's double/double (5000/10,000 metres in two successive Olympiads). Suspicion is he was availing himself of super-oxygenated blood which was being prepared from him in a lab ahead of the big races. He ran the last 1500 of one Olympic 5000 so fast he would have made the top eight in the 1500 with the time he clocked.

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:17, John Robinson said:

Dick Quax, New Zealand runner and former world record holder in the 5,000 metres reportedly dead at 70... https://www.google.com/amp/www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2018/05/athletics-former-world-recordholder-dick-quax-dies.amp.html

There was an interesting article on a NZ website about some unusual acoustic effects of the man in question many years ago. After some detailed experiments by spelunking enthusiasts in the Waitomo region, and after obtaining a vast amount of recorded material, it was concluded that Dick Quax don't echo.

I'll get my coat.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Heef said:

There was an interesting article on a NZ website about some unusual acoustic effects of the man in question many years ago. After some detailed experiments by spelunking enthusiasts in the Waitomo region, and after obtaining a vast amount of recorded material, it was concluded that Dick Quax don't echo.

I'll get my coat.

I won't add to the dive into old humour other than to say there were plenty innuedo style jokes in which Dick Quax name and the word smegma were combined to - ahem - comic effect

1)George H W Bush

2)John MCcain 

3) Ted Mack

4)Denis Goldberg

5)Lindy Remigino

Just now, Sean said:

1)George H W Bush

2)John MCcain 

3) Ted Mack

4)Denis Goldberg

5)Lindy Remigino

Wrong thread

• Haha 1

Rockabilly singer, Royce Porter, has passed away at the age of 79 just 2 days after he performed at the Nashville Boogie backed by The Planet Rockers (one of his favourite bands). 

Sir Desmond de Silva, one of Britain's most famous QCs, dead at 78. Defended Lee Bowyer and John Terry, helped prosecute Charles Taylor.

1 hour ago, markb4 said:

Fashion Designer, Kate Spade, found dead in apparent suicide at age of 55:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44374844

I’m sure you got a grace period for the first time you posted an obit (Bill Phipps) that was posted elsewhere HOURS earlier.  But this is twice.  Knock it off.  Investigate the various threads and use the search box.

SC

6 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I’m sure you got a grace period for the first time you posted an obit (Bill Phipps) that was posted elsewhere HOURS earlier.  But this is twice.  Knock it off.  Investigate the various threads and use the search box.

SC

I'm sorry; I didn't realize. I just thought all 2018 deaths were to be posted in this particular forum category.

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

There’s nothing wrong with posting the death in multiple threads. It’s only an issue when a person posts the same death in the same thread...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I'm sorry; I didn't realize. I just thought all 2018 deaths were to be posted in this particular forum category.

In an ideal world they would be.  It makes absolute sense for all deaths to be recorded in the annual thread, as well as in their own category thread(s).

This thread should be a useful catch-all reference for the year.  So you have done nothing wrong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, markb4 said:

Once you've been here a while you'll learn to ignore Sir Creep's lack of courtesy.  Post where you want and don't be a slave to search.

• Like 6