Grim Reaper

Neil Simon

Solid choice.90 with advanced Alzheimers and one of the greatest playwrights of his generation.Worthy inclusion.

Horrible addition, but he’s terribly deathlisty so I understand why they were drawn to him.  He was only recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s so any inkling that the Big A will have anything to do with the demise of a human being 13 months after diagnosis is extremely misguided. To anyone's knowledge Simon is in otherwise decent health, and apart from being (91?) he has zero business being included over so many other more qualified candidates.

SC

His ex wife said in August he could no longer speak suggesting he was in the latter stages of the disease.Also he had a kidney transplant in 2004.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

His ex wife said in August he could no longer speak suggesting he was in the latter stages of the disease.Also he had a kidney transplant in 2004.

Do successful kidney transplants from 14 years ago that aren't related to his Alzheimer's indicate anything bad?

This may or may not be relevant but my Gran lost her marbles as a result of kidney failure - think it relates to the blood cleaning malfunctioning but I've no idea really.

1 minute ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Do successful kidney transplants from 14 years ago that aren't related to his Alzheimer's indicate anything bad?

Well it means he has one working kidney and transplants do not last forever and if he gets dementia related complications such as pneumonia and other infections could put an extra strain on his kidney.Plus if he gets multiple organ failure the one kidney could speed up the process.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Well it means he has one working kidney and transplants do not last forever and if he gets dementia related complications such as pneumonia and other infections could put an extra strain on his kidney.Plus if he gets multiple organ failure the one kidney could speed up the process.

Forgive me if I'm ignorant but if he had a kidney transplant wouldn't that mean he has 2 kidneys?

14 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Forgive me if I'm ignorant but if he had a kidney transplant wouldn't that mean he has 2 kidneys?

Tends to be 1. Can I guess be two from a dead donor in theory doubt it has ever been done though.In Simon's case though the donor was his publicist so  it was definitely just one as he survived the surgery too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

You won't get a new kidney if you have a functional one

Generally, humans can live normally with just one kidney, as one has more functioning renal tissue than is needed to survive. Only when the amount of functioning kidney tissue is greatly diminished does one develop chronic kidney disease

Only one donated kidney is needed to replace two failed kidneys, making living-donor kidney transplantation an option.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/kidney-transplant/about/pac-20384777

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the 6th hit of the year?

Nothing new in that report.

• Like 1

That doesn't mean much. For 90-year-old Alzheimer's patients, "near death" could mean anywhere from several weeks to several years (incapacitated for much of that time). Speaking from experience :(

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Sean said:

Nothing new in that report.

Agreed, other than the hyperbole headline

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Agreed, other than the hyperbole headline

I always knew he had Alzheimer’s, but I never once saw any reports about him being near death. I’ll keep these things in mind from now on

On 05/06/2018 at 07:28, ajlposh said:

I always knew he had Alzheimer’s, but I never once saw any reports about him being near death. I’ll keep these things in mind from now on

Alzheimer doens't kill you, it's the lung infections, dehydration and other related problems that does the trick.

His kidney failed.Called it in January.

That. Was. Quick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2