Grim Reaper

Mark E Smith

Interesting addition for sure. Certainly has been somewhat ill for sure. 

Good call

I like it. Certainly better than average odds.

• Like 1

Something clearly very wrong with him.Plus he won't make a grand old age for sure.

Well, I suppose he could always have a fall. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw him live in 2016. Couldn't make out a word that he was singing, as usual.

He looked more like an escapee from a care home than a rock star - and looked closer to 80 than 60. I've got no doubt he's treated his body like shit for decades with booze and fags and god knows what else, so there's always the possibility he could croak it this year.

That being said, I still think he'll see 2019 more likely than not.

51 minutes ago, Weebl said:

I saw him live in 2016. Couldn't make out a word that he was singing, as usual.

He looked more like an escapee from a care home than a rock star - and looked closer to 80 than 60. I've got no doubt he's treated his body like shit for decades with booze and fags and god knows what else, so there's always the possibility he could croak it this year.

That being said, I still think he'll see 2019 more likely than not.

As for the actual health problems, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse in late 2017. Some of the statements from the band and the management (Vander):

Pamela Vander said:

[The problems resulting in  the cancellation were] 'connected to his throat, mouth/dental & respiratory system.'

(...)

'Despite the incredible progress Mark has made after a pretty rough year health-wise, he has now been rendered unfit to fly due to further dental/respiratory problems.

(...)

'mix of bizarre and rare (true to form) medical issues that Mark is currently being treated for'

And the cancelled dates included those in February, so evidence points atsome pretty nasty disease (possibly oral/throat/nasopharyngeal cancer?):

Then, in October, Smith returned to the stage in the U.K., strapped to a wheelchair... By November, (...) Smith's health was again an issue following a reported major surgery...

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2017/12/22/the-fall-cancel-brooklyn-residency/

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/mark-e-smith-ill-fall-13976013

• Like 1

Will-uh the-uh obit-uh on-uh the main page be done in a Mark E Smith impression?

• Haha 1

Still waiting for it to be updated in 2025 at that rate.

2 hours ago, GossipGabe said:

As for the actual health problems, things seem to have taken a turn for the worse in late 2017. Some of the statements from the band and the management (Vander):

Maybe he's in a worse state than I'd thought. We will just have to see.

I was thinking about including him on my own shadow list but dropped him as I honestly didn't consider him to be a serious pick. Considered him to be more of a joke pick than anything else, but with health problems like he has, who's laughing now?

Oh well, if he does croak then he'll have done his bit to contribute to the wonderful and frightening world of the deathlist!

I'd never heard of him until today but I'm very happy to be educated and prompted to research new people and names by this forum. We learn something new everyday in life or at least we should! 

Great pick! The Fall is one of the best bands in the world (even though their last album(s) sound rubbish. And I mean bad rubbish, not the earlier sounds-rubbish-bit-is-actually-brilliant-rubbish), but Mark looked awful the last couple of months, performing in a wheelchair, with a bloated face and very weird lumps. 

I still hope he survives of course, cause that means one album a year and at least a promise of a return to form..

And Gooseberry... last thing you might know him of is his guest vocals on the 3rd gorillaz album: 

Silly pick, not really famous enough for Deathlist, I know we have rules, but I have asked 5 people today and none of them have heard of him. 

Tbf, I'm not sure if The Fall has ever toured in Zimbabwe, so I'm not surprised Mugabe doesn't know him...

9 minutes ago, RobertMugabe said:

Silly pick, not really famous enough for Deathlist, I know we have rules, but I have asked 5 people today and none of them have heard of him. 

He seems to be a not-so-mainstream British institution. Granted, he might not be a household name, but his death would still get covered by the British media. (But yeah, it's unlikely that the Zimbabwean or American media would follow suit.)

I have actually heard of The Fall before the forum as I enjoy digging deeper into the music scene, and I have enjoyed what I heard from him. 

Yeah he is a British phenomenon and only I guess known in Britain for the most part.

Anyone remember when the BBC Tweeted he died instead of wishing him a happy birthday?

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2018 at 16:41, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I'd never heard of him until today but I'm very happy to be educated and prompted to research new people and names by this forum. We learn something new everyday in life or at least we should! 

You haven't lived!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sean said:

:pop:

the-fall.jpg

Holy fuck, he looks awful. I saw him in 2016 and he looked bad but nowhere near that bad!

23 hours ago, RobertMugabe said:

MES up yours.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 5