Grim Reaper

Mark E Smith

So sad I never got to see him alive.A great musician who had a unique style.Well done to the committee for picking him.I left him out of my DDP and Shadow list so am looking rather foolish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Didn't really buy into it, now it looks like I should have.

RIP

Check out his music when you have a spare couple of hours.You won`t be disappointed.

2 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

My first hit of the year. Shane MacGowan next?

Interesting you say that.When his 60th Birthday bash was held a week ago there seemed a sense it was a farewell night more than a birthday party.Also he broke his pelvis quite a while ago so perhaps his use of a wheelchair is due to something more.That being said as he was drinking on the night maybe it was a precautionary measure.

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

So sad I never got to see him alive.A great musician who had a unique style.Well done to the committee for picking him.I left him out of my DDP and Shadow list so am looking rather foolish.

I don't think you should feel so foolish. I think I'm the only one who is considered a major contender for 2018 to pick him in fact...

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I don't think you should feel so foolish. I think I'm the only one who is considered a major contender for 2018 to pick him in fact...

For me it was the uncertainty.Yes he was ill but we didn`t know what.This year I went with primarily ALS sufferers advanced cancer sufferers and Gazza .with Smith yeah I guessed he was seriously ill but could not be sure.

The only picks I feel on my DDP main team that are dodgy are Gazza and Ami Brown.Gazza I figured would be on the Drop 40 (which he is) and at his age I could justify keeping him on that basis.Ami is a strange case.Yes it looks from the outside like a clear hoax but the footage and pictures of her during her cancer treatment convinced me that she was seriously ill.You cannot fake that level of deterioration in terms of weight loss and complexion.Also the Brown`s are weird and strike me as not being overly trusting of Doctors.The only pick that I reluctantly dropped was Hawking but at his age and the fact he is such an outlier meant I did not think he had either enough points or likelihood of dying to justify him a place.

Love the fact that his tag says fallen.Nice touch.

2 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

I'm getting to be a grumpy old bastard. Can't say I've heard of him. 

You could have argued youth as your defence, I'd only heard of him because of his cancellation of tour dates making the news and a random article about him in a newspaper music section a while ago. I don't want to speak ill of the dead but from what I've ever heard of his music, he only seems to have been good at producing large quantities rather than making consistently good music. That said, he was obviously successful, so credit to him for that and I'll put it down to me not getting it.

Nice overview of his life for those unfamiliar with him.

• Like 1

The Fall`s last ever show.Very hard to watch.Had I seen this last year he would have been on all my lists.

• Sad 1

Whilst I cannot say I'm familiar with his work, I'm well aware of him. He was the kind of guy who popped up on things to be a bit of a "bad boy", but seems to have "fallen" out of favour by the media when more commercially successful bad boys like Shaun Ryder came along.

I didn't listen to John Peel, though plenty of my uni pals as it transpired shunned the charts in favour of his kind of stuff.

Notwithstanding, I really have no intention of listening to The Fall - ever. 60 is no age to go though, and I am truly saddened by his decline and death.

• Like 1

Just realised Mark has a striking similarity to ReviewBrah (especially when mark was young)

Screenshot_2018-01-25-08-53-36-1.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Also, John Wetton of 2018 comment turned out to be very accurate to the extent of the same month as well...

Who said that like?

I said that myself back in October...

On 10/21/2017 at 08:25, Joey Russ said:

The John Wetton Of 2018?

18 hours ago, themaninblack said:

Wetton might have been better known Worldwide but Mark E Smith is the more "deathlisty" name. A great choice IMO...

Both Wetton and Smith would have been great picks for the Deathlist and both are definitely well known enough to qualify.

The two things that they definitely had in common is that they were both heavy drinkers at least for a significant part of their lives and they both died in their 60s. Apart from that they played completely different styles of music. Wetton has more in common with guys like Greg Lake and Chris Squire, whereas Smith has more in common with the post-punk movement of the late '70s and early '80s.

Oh and I have had the privilege to have seen both in concert as well!

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

I said that myself back in October...

Oh right!

Well anyway, here's my feelings...

Sad? Yeah, I used to listen to The Fall a lot in my student days (early noughties), and saw him in concert around that time and again in 2016. How time flies. Legends like him will never be replaced

Surprised? No, not really surprised at all. He looked like shit in recent photos, probably even worse than Wetton did during his wedding and Christmas photos in late 2016 shortly before he died.

Kicking myself for not putting him on my own shadow list? You bet.

16 hours ago, Sean said:

The Fall`s last ever show.Very hard to watch.Had I seen this last year he would have been on all my lists.

He looks like shit. I saw him in October 2016 and he was bad, but nowhere near THAT bad.

A lifetime of booze and fags has obviously taken its toll!

16 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Whilst I cannot say I'm familiar with his work, I'm well aware of him. He was the kind of guy who popped up on things to be a bit of a "bad boy", but seems to have "fallen" out of favour by the media when more commercially successful bad boys like Shaun Ryder came along.

I didn't listen to John Peel, though plenty of my uni pals as it transpired shunned the charts in favour of his kind of stuff.

Notwithstanding, I really have no intention of listening to The Fall - ever. 60 is no age to go though, and I am truly saddened by his decline and death.

Bar his guesting on other band's tracks (Insprials, Elastica etc) the only Fall track I've come across that I'm inclined to listen to off my own back is Wings - which funnily enough is a B-side.

The Graun did a compendium of tracks here https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jun/11/the-fall-10-of-the-best

23 hours ago, NotTheNagsHeadReading said:

The similarity between him and Stephen Hawking became uncanny towards the end

ScreenHunter_192 Jan. 24 22.47.jpg

stream_img.jpg

He also looks a little bit like Michel Houellebecq on his bad days, although Michel might outlive him by decades (although I don't think that he'd become a centenarian):

houellebecq.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

DUWlgzOW0AAXDCI.jpg:large

There should be DL comics: next in the series is how to discuss football with Saint and Greavsie!

DUVJXUbXkAAUOb4?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

And of course, one of my favourite covers from back in the day.... Sister Sledge Lol.

• Like 2