Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

Are they someone dying from cancer who then goes on to do something notable like climb Everest, write a novel, or just raise lots and lots of money for charity via marathons (Jane Tomlinson) or health reform (Granger)?

Apparently there autobiographical writing going viral doesn't count for the "going onto do something notable". Question what's this difference between that it being a column in a newspaper, which would be okay apparently? Not naming names in the vein hope the rule can be reversed.

Ah, Deathray, I refer you to Rule 6:

6.    If in doubt, submit a pick, but the decision of the ref (me) is final and is not open to any court of appeal. If you think it’s a dodgy pick, it probably is.

Which should be taken in conjunction with Rule 5 (prohibited peoples) and not as leeway. You might well think the person picked is allowed, but those exceptions to Rule 5 are remarkably rare cases (imo) and the ref's decision on this particular matter is final. Thank you. But to be specific, I meant if the person goes onto do some noteworthy ie that might show up on a cursory first page Google search other than "cancer mum Sun newspaper sob stories" and a "gofundme".

I'm not getting a team together yet.  I'm hoping for a bye and then the opportunity to steal picks from other teams.  (It worked last year).

• Like 1

Pardon some questions/comments, which may be due to my inexperience with this pool.  First, it appears some teams are already submitted via PM.   Has DR jumped the starting gun or do I not know where to find the results of the draw?  

Second, it seems to me that the only way to win this pool is to repeatedly score with a very small list in a very short time period, OR win a lot of coin tosses/have a cool name that kids might dig.  Certainly, the latter would not be much to brag about and the former seems like quite a tall order (perhaps I am exposing my rookie abilities here).  The "Lou Rawls/Etta James"  fruit are not seen very often, and even when they are, I would expect that often both sides will place them on their teams, also resulting in dreaded ties. 

So, a couple of ideas:   When teams are tied with hits (whether the hit is the same or different on each team), the team who placed a hit highest on their list wins the tie.  If still tied, go to the second hit, if there is one.  

When two teams end the month scoreless, ties are broken by their score from the previous match, and on back to previous months as needed until the tie is broken. 

When ties still exist in either case, go to the kid with the names, at least I have a decent chance with that.  Just trying to stay away from the dreaded coin flips.  With those my chances drop to about 40/60.   For what it's worth . . . .

Have a look through last year's Deathlist Cup thread. There weren't that many draws tbf and one team bagged six (I Think) hits in the month. Still a reasonable number of unique picks and hits too.

1 hour ago, Wormfarmer said:

Pardon some questions/comments, which may be due to my inexperience with this pool.  First, it appears some teams are already submitted via PM.   Has DR jumped the starting gun or do I not know where to find the results of the draw?  

Second, it seems to me that the only way to win this pool is to repeatedly score with a very small list in a very short time period, OR win a lot of coin tosses/have a cool name that kids might dig.  Certainly, the latter would not be much to brag about and the former seems like quite a tall order (perhaps I am exposing my rookie abilities here).  The "Lou Rawls/Etta James"  fruit are not seen very often, and even when they are, I would expect that often both sides will place them on their teams, also resulting in dreaded ties. 

So, a couple of ideas:   When teams are tied with hits (whether the hit is the same or different on each team), the team who placed a hit highest on their list wins the tie.  If still tied, go to the second hit, if there is one.  

When two teams end the month scoreless, ties are broken by their score from the previous match, and on back to previous months as needed until the tie is broken. 

When ties still exist in either case, go to the kid with the names, at least I have a decent chance with that.  Just trying to stay away from the dreaded coin flips.  With those my chances drop to about 40/60.   For what it's worth . . . .

DR has considerably jumped the gun, don't worry. First round is drawn on the 20th January and teams come in from then till end of the month.

There was 2 coin tosses last year, but in general, matches wound up decided by scorelines. When there was a score draw, average age came into consideration (so lowest average age won) - iirc, someone lost out because one of their scores came from Emma Morano, the super-centenarian!

The 4 and 3 scoring system *should* make the coin toss less likely too. Famous last words.

Question: Are the family of the famous held to the same standard as FFBI? IE, would someone like Tracy McGiffin or Tiffany Youngs be eligible for the Deathlist Cup, or is that the decision of the referee as well?

Ignoring those who have left the forum - Rocky, Switch, Chopped Liver and the Kid. There's 3 competitors from 2017 left to confirm or deny a spot in this years version: Jireomon, Garn and Charon!

And newcomers welcome! We already have 2!

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Question: Are the family of the famous held to the same standard as FFBI? IE, would someone like Tracy McGiffin or Tiffany Youngs be eligible for the Deathlist Cup, or is that the decision of the referee as well?

It would depend on the individual, really.

I don't know if Jiroemon is coming back to the forums. I didn't see Cancerous Hatred on the team list in the Alt Obits pool...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

DR has considerably jumped the gun, don't worry. First round is drawn on the 20th January and teams come in from then till end of the month.

There was 2 coin tosses last year, but in general, matches wound up decided by scorelines. When there was a score draw, average age came into consideration (so lowest average age won) - iirc, someone lost out because one of their scores came from Emma Morano, the super-centenarian!

The 4 and 3 scoring system *should* make the coin toss less likely too. Famous last words.

Good enough and thanks for listening!   Looking forward to my first shove out into the octogon . . . . 

1 hour ago, Heef said:

Have a look through last year's Deathlist Cup thread. There weren't that many draws tbf and one team bagged six (I Think) hits in the month. Still a reasonable number of unique picks and hits too.

I should have done that.  Intuitively, I was thinking that if the deathlist can only get 17 hits from 50 names over the course of a whole year (in a record setting year), it would be very tough to get one or more hits from a list of 11 in one/twelfth of the time.  And doing it month after month seemed very unlikely.  But regrettably I underestimate the skills of the users of this forum!  

DL names have to have a higher level of fame though, whereas here you can go for people in very specific niches. Some of the names I scored with last year were a onetime T Rex tour manager, a singer for the Crickets post Buddy Holly, and a bunch of US football names. Most of the aforementioned only got local press but they counted.

9 hours ago, Death Impends said:

DL names have to have a higher level of fame though, whereas here you can go for people in very specific niches. Some of the names I scored with last year were a onetime T Rex tour manager, a singer for the Crickets post Buddy Holly, and a bunch of US football names. Most of the aforementioned only got local press but they counted.

And all of them hit the fame criteria, because they were known by folk pre-illness. Even if you were, for example, a really obscure Trinidadian historian, you were still known by others within that field or discipline pre illness.

I wouldn't pick a Trinidadian historian since they live much longer then Tobagan historians.

• Like 1

As a bit of "history", here are the results from the 2017 Cup, for easy reference:

Deathlist Cup

Round 1
1. Young Willz 0-4 Captain Chorizo
2. Maryportfuncity 2-8 Morbid Kid
Maryportfuncity wins by DQ.
3. Grim Up North 8-4 Joey Russ
4. Deathray 2-8 Heef
5. Chopped Liver 2-9 Garn
6. Shaun of the Dead 2-4 RadGuy
7. Charon 2-9 The Dead Cow
8. Switch 4-2 Rockhopperpenguin
9. Pedro67 7-2 Jiroemon Kimura
10. msc 4-7 gcreptile

Round 2
1. RadGuy 1-0 Bibliogryphon
2. The Dead Cow 8-9 Death Impends
3. Heef 4-3 Garn
4. Maryportfuncity 0-3 Spade Cooley
5. Captain Chorizo 1-1 Grim Up North,
Grim Up North won on penalties
6. Switch 0-2 DDT
7. Deadsox 0-0 Pedro67,
Deadsox won on penalties
8. Roverandout 2-8 gcreptile

Quarterfinals
1. DDT 3-1 RadGuy
2. gcreptile 2-16 Death Impends
3. Spade Cooley 2-4 Deadsox
4. Grim Up North 6-6 Heef,
Heef advances on "away goals".

Semifinals
1. DDT 0-2 Deadsox
2. Death Impends 11-8 Heef

Final
1. Deadsox 5-2 Death Impends

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haha - I'd forgotten waiting up late at night for the penalty shoot out coin toss whilst Mrs msc phoned the mental institute!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Haha - I'd forgotten waiting up late at night for the penalty shoot out coin toss whilst Mrs msc phoned the mental institute!

Oh yes, apparently I "looked like a loon" doing the coin toss. And then her response last week when I told her my DDP team for 2018? "I've heard of over half of them, are you going mainstream now?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'll have another go, didn't do as badly as I remembered.

• Like 1

Sign me up please!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Girish Karnad looks like such a typical-me dud pick:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/653809/girish-karnad-braves-ill-health.html

Whats that, Mr G Creptile? You want me to find 8 more Cup players ASAP and rig the draw so you can face Death Impends again? It's a tough ask!

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Whats that, Mr G Creptile? You want me to find 8 more Cup players ASAP and rig the draw so you can face Death Impends again? It's a tough ask!

:D

That certainly wouldn't be the only draw you'd rig this time around. :D 

Jokes aside, I am interested to see if we get any "rematches" and if we do, I still wouldn't be able to call them: no way a 16-2 happens again between two top deadpoolers. Also, some improved players got terrible luck of the draw, maybe they'll be luckier this time - or just draw DDT ASAP, who knows.

Oh another thing, I'm not making my team public before the round starts. I feel its good graces for the host to bow out ASAP in these circumstances, but even then, I was as good as a de facto BYE  last year, so this year YWillz has kindly agreed to be PM'd my team.

And if I bloody draw him in Round 1, I'll swear. Hah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1