Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

YW - I love the team photo - brilliant!

Good luck everyone!

Joey it was me that pinched your pick but then got her rejected anyway. Well done on the Brian Deane trophy! 3am UK time - respect.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, msc said:

Grim Up North – (Crider, Mack, Overton, Stiles, Goodwin, Shutts, Lynott, Miller L, Kumar, Hubbard, Anzaki)

Vs Yorkshire Banker (Cary DS, Camm, Bush B, Bracknell, Hardegen, Vervoort, James C, Overton P, DeKoven, Kit B )

Haha contrast of styles and death list beliefs collide.

I steer clear of old people unless they are ill - never know when they might die but undoubtedly old people do die.

Yorkshire Banker's team chock full of old people who as far as I know are just old. Barbara Bush the spring chicken of them at 92.

However no good reason why the next 28 days shouldn't be the time when they do die and carry YB into round 2.

Overton our only shared pick.

PS Charon if Hubbard should die apologies for stealing your unique - I didn't have him in my first 11 but 2 of my team didn't make the FFBI cut so I was scratching around a bit.

PPS msc - YB only seems to have a team of 10?

42 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

PPS msc - YB only seems to have a team of 10?

His sub for Patrick Cryne got lost down the back of a sofa, thanks for spotting it! Jean of Luxembourg takes his place.

Now, I hear that Mowzey Radio was a highly popular singer in Uganda. Now, he's a highly popular household name in Joey's house, as he gets off to a flier with a unique hit already. Well done. He had a string of successes in his homeland as part of the group Goodlyfe Crew, but is apparently the second member of the band to die in a bar fight in 3 years! Anyhow, the Cup starts with 4 points, and mention of one of those slightly obscure but interesting folk we all love.

1.  Charon (Unrepentant) vs Maryportfuncity (Inter Youngboys FC) 0-0

2.  Pedro (Trottingbum Hotsores) vs The Dead Cow 0-0

3.  Young Willz (Glasgow Ron Weasley Ed Sheeran Slash Fanfiction Thistle Wanderers United) vs The Engineer 0-0

4.  Grim Up North (Going Going GUN) vs Yorkshire Banker 0-0

5.  Msc vs Wormfarmer 0-0

6.  Spade Cooley (Great Railway Journeys with Hughie Gallacher and Robert Enke) vs Roverandout 0-0

7.  Joey Russ vs Garn  (Video Assistant Reaper)  4-0

8.  Bibliogryphon (Bye Bye Biblio) vs Phantom of the Midway (AKA Rad Guy) 0-0

9.  Sean (Shaun of the Dead’s Magical Funeral Parlour) vs Fixed Business  (Business Fixed) 0-0

10. Gcreptile (The eaten tide pods) vs John Key 0-0

11. Deathray (First In, First Out and Never Invited to an Orgy Again) vs Sir Creep  (The Month-to-Month Tenants) 0-0

12.  Captain Chorizo vs Book  (Never Heard of Soccer) 0-0

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, msc said:

His sub for Patrick Cryne got lost down the back of a sofa, thanks for spotting it! Jean of Luxembourg takes his place.

Haha - another oldie!

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

The above graphic shows my team as they take the field.

I've gone for a 4-4-2 formation (whatever that is). Pope in goal...Jesus Saves. Williams, Barker and Stiles in defence...nothing gets past them. Nifty midfield of Maren, Poitier, McCain and Bush...couldn't put both McCain and Bush on the right....hmmm.

Dodd and Greaves up front as most likely to score.

Get your shorts on, game on!

Actually although I loved your team photo you are a man short - Redstone I think? - so you've actually gone for a 3-4-2 formation! :P 

51 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Actually although I loved your team photo you are a man short - Redstone I think? - so you've actually gone for a 3-4-2 formation! :P 

Ah, Sumner you win....Sumner you lose....

I'll update the photobomb......

• Like 2

On 25/01/2018 at 08:32, msc said:

I have had another Fringes decision to make, and have accepted the choice on the following grounds

- They are close to a household name ie if you asked a bunch of strangers their name, at least 51% imo would go "Oh yeah, that's so and so, isn't it?"

- They would pass the "hit by a bus" test with flying colours.

- I have decided that if a person has been the subject of regular newspaper interviews and infrequent TV spots since before I was even born (that's going nearly 34 years plus), then it's a bit difficult to call them purely a "fringe" candidate, even if they look fringey at first glance.

On 26/01/2018 at 16:53, msc said:

tbh there might be a decent chance you've actually met the person at some point? I know my mum did at one point in, iirc, the early 80s.

Also: yes. Mind you, I always think my clues are bloody obvious. Another two clues then. The person has at least one song by a (imo) pretty major band sung about them, and they have their own Wiki page. You can see the evidence that built for them to become an acceptable pick.

I am showing my ignorance here, but who is it?

Philomena Lynott. Fringey, but counts imo:

- They are close to a household name ie if you asked a bunch of strangers their name, at least 51% imo would go "Oh yeah, that's so and so, isn't it?" - "Oh yeah, Phils mum?"

- I have decided that if a person has been the subject of regular newspaper interviews and infrequent TV spots since before I was even born (that's going nearly 34 years plus), then it's a bit difficult to call them purely a "fringe" candidate, even if they look fringey at first glance. - As executor of his estate, plus she wrote his biography and was the go to for Phil Lynott anecdotes/or if Donald Trump uses Thin Lizzy music without permission, several interviews in the likes of the Daily Record going back...as long as I can remember, and I've known about her since I were at school age.

Thin Lizzy did a song about her in the 1970s, I think they count as a fairly major rock band. And she does have her own Wiki page, and has for years.

Apparently I'd mentioned her before this, but you know, long hours, crap memory, etc etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh, right.  I thought it must be someone else as Rad Guy guessed her and you didn't confirm. 

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

Oh, right.  I thought it must be someone else as Rad Guy guessed her and you didn't confirm. 

I didn't want to confirm it for fear of invoking a mass lot of Lynotts on my hands, trying not to distort the competition with insider knowledge as it were.. Of course, sods law, nearly everyone playing guessed, and about 60% of the teams still to come in after that point had her on their team! :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I think I was wrong in forgetting/ignoring Liam Miller.

What are you and Joey on about?  He was just diagnosed a month ago, he is an athlete, he ain't dropping dead less than 8 weeks after his initial diagnosis.  I looked for whatever Joey was referring to but 'Google is your friend' turned out untrue.  I didn't see a thing indicating he is on his way out, and he's a Creep DDP pick, mind.

SC

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

What are you and Joey on about?  He was just diagnosed a month ago, he is an athlete, he ain't dropping dead less than 8 weeks after his initial diagnosis.  I looked for whatever Joey was referring to but 'Google is your friend' turned out untrue.  I didn't see a thing indicating he is on his way out, and he's a Creep DDP pick, mind.

SC

There has been a lot of please pray for Miller, he’s not doing too well updates on Twitter, which has us both believing he’s seriously ill...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

I think he's got a bit to go yet, but key difference: they ANNOUNCED his diagnosis in November, he wasn't diagnosed then. BBC interviewed his former manager Martin O'Neill the weekend the news broke about it, and he looked close to tears (this is a usually fairly stoic man), and said until he saw Liam he "didn't realise how bad it was" - hints at it being somewhat further along.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Ugh... found out about a perfect pick I could have known before submitting....

Ah well, the grass is always greener (or bluer?) on the other side.

Was that person picked by someone, or did no one else know about them? 

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Haha - thinking about the next round already Joey?

Last year 13 of the 113 picks were corpses by time round two started so homework on the list will only start for me in a couple of weeks (by which time it might be a bit half-hearted if YB is leading the slaughter). At a similar hit rate 15 of the 133 aren't going to make it.

Miller is fucked, I know this SC.

Congrats to Zoey on an astonishingly early hit.

Just as well C'o'F is back with the Flight Radar pictures of an Air Uganden plane landing at Milton Keynes, with some cunt alighting holding a pillow :sherlock:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Unpicked, but I bet Death Impends knew about him/her. It just amazes me how some search results appear long after the fact. (a week in this case) I will let you know once the person dies, just a matter of days.

Well done Joey on that amazing hit.

Sean's team looks very good, good luck Sean.

YW, I love that team photo, CHEERS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FixedBusiness said:

Well done Joey on that amazing hit.

Sean's team looks very good, good luck Sean.

YW, I love that team photo, CHEERS!

Many thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

There has been a lot of please pray for Miller, he’s not doing too well updates on Twitter, which has us both believing he’s seriously ill...

Me as well.The only good news was the denial he was in a hospice in November. 

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Me as well.The only good news was the denial he was in a hospice in November. 

He could pull a Pat Conroy, I'll give you that.  Hard to forget that 2 or 3 week 'fight' against cancer.  But Miller 1/2 the age and an athlete, not an obese author.  Anyway, according to y'all Miller a slam dunk for March; maybe we should all have 10 names and just insert Miller on all teams B)
SC