Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

6 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

He could pull a Pat Conroy, I'll give you that.  Hard to forget that 2 or 3 week 'fight' against cancer.
SC

Ah, the Charge of the Light Brigade of cancer battles. I think I've made that joke before tbh but no matter.

Just now, Sir Creep said:

He could pull a Pat Conroy, I'll give you that.  Hard to forget that 2 or 3 week 'fight' against cancer.  But Miller 1/2 the age and an athlete, not an obese author.  Anyway, according to y'all Miller a slam dunk for March; maybe we should all have 10 names and just insert Miller on all teams B)
SC

Miller is not a cert for February or March even but he is very ill and every indicator I.e statistics statements from colleagues and friends lack of public comment and the trip to the US for treatment.All ring alarm bells.

The forgotten man of the deathlist wilko johnson was a cert with pancreatic cancer  a few years ago.  Liam miller being half wilkos age aswell may help. Who knows he may have same type of cancer though only 5% of pancreatic cancers are the type wilko had. Miller still a better pick than most though for the cup in the coming months.

15 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Was that person picked by someone, or did no one else know about them? 

My guess is it was Eddie Shaw, but he died 29/1.

Cool. Just waiting for confirmation on Mr Kit and I'll update the two at once.

Oh, he is dead, but alas I didn't accept Belarussian obits. He'll get something imminent from anywhere given CV, I suspect.

Awaiting Barys Kit's qualifying obit, so Pedro and Yorkshire Banker need to hold on a few more hours (I'd assume), but I won't keep Gcreptile waiting for his 4 points. Johnnie Lindsey, bit of a poor sod, really. Convicted of a crime he never committed, given life imprisonment, DNA finally exonerates him after 25 years, and then he gets terminal cancer and dies young. The extenuating factors of exoneration from a life sentence after such a long time qualified him for the pool. Some folk just have no luck! But that's not Gcreptile with his early lead, although this is a very late lead going by his early rounds last year, which were usually settled by half past midnight on the 1st of the month!

1.  Charon (Unrepentant) vs Maryportfuncity (Inter Youngboys FC) 0-0

2.  Pedro (Trottingbum Hotsores) vs The Dead Cow 0-0

3.  Young Willz (Glasgow Ron Weasley Ed Sheeran Slash Fanfiction Thistle Wanderers United) vs The Engineer 0-0

4.  Grim Up North (Going Going GUN) vs Yorkshire Banker 0-0

5.  Msc vs Wormfarmer 0-0

6.  Spade Cooley (Great Railway Journeys with Hughie Gallacher and Robert Enke) vs Roverandout 0-0

7.  Joey Russ vs Garn  (Video Assistant Reaper)  4-0

8.  Bibliogryphon (Bye Bye Biblio) vs Phantom of the Midway (AKA Rad Guy) 0-0

9.  Sean (Shaun of the Dead’s Magical Funeral Parlour) vs Fixed Business  (Business Fixed) 0-0

10. Gcreptile (The eaten tide pods) vs John Key 4-0

11. Deathray (First In, First Out and Never Invited to an Orgy Again) vs Sir Creep  (The Month-to-Month Tenants) 0-0

12.  Captain Chorizo vs Book  (Never Heard of Soccer) 0-0

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Yes!

Barys Kit had a remarkable life. He was a highly respected mathematical genius, whose knowledge of maths (notes for the over 50s here - arithmetic B) ) and missiles came in use for the US Space Programme, for whom he helped develop their spacecrafts and routes. He lived to 108, which was bloody good going when you consider he was due to be executed as a partizan by the Nazis in his native Belarus way back in the 1940s! In later years, he spoke out in favour of Belarussian democracy, but Lukashenko outlives him, though Kit did admittedly have a massive head start there, age wise. Anyhow, after a long and interesting life, Kit's last act here is to give 3 points a piece to Pedro and Yorkshire Banker.

Now both of these results are very interesting. Pedro quite possibly upset the apple cart in Round 1 last season by demolishing the fancied Jireomon Kimura, who you might recall went on to win the Alt Obits Deadpool, no small feat. However, this time, he is taking on The Dead Cow, a hot tip for the DDP itself, and a deadpooler who took Death Impends to the very limit in the last 16 last year. Early days, but Pedro goes 3-0 up.

In the second tie, there has been a lot of talk about a second round show down between perennial rivals Grim Up North and Joey Russ. Mostly from Grim Up North and Joey Russ, of course. However, to get there, you do have to win your first round tie, and so, to paraphrase the analysis from earlier in the thread,  Grim's cancer suffers are 3-0 down to the Yorkshire Bankers old geezers!

Still far too early in the month to talk of upsets, but it's a different start.

Elsewhere, Rover's men must be feeling slightly confident after keeping 0-0 with Spade in the nervy opening 5 minutes of the contest, whilst the "too close to call" games of Charon/Maryport and Young Willz/Engineer remain goalless, as do others in this early going.

1.  Charon (Unrepentant) vs Maryportfuncity (Inter Youngboys FC) 0-0

2.  Pedro (Trottingbum Hotsores) vs The Dead Cow 3-0

3.  Young Willz (Glasgow Ron Weasley Ed Sheeran Slash Fanfiction Thistle Wanderers United) vs The Engineer 0-0

4.  Grim Up North (Going Going GUN) vs Yorkshire Banker 0-3

5.  Msc vs Wormfarmer 0-0

6.  Spade Cooley (Great Railway Journeys with Hughie Gallacher and Robert Enke) vs Roverandout 0-0

7.  Joey Russ vs Garn  (Video Assistant Reaper)  4-0

8.  Bibliogryphon (Bye Bye Biblio) vs Phantom of the Midway (AKA Rad Guy) 0-0

9.  Sean (Shaun of the Dead’s Magical Funeral Parlour) vs Fixed Business  (Business Fixed) 0-0

10. Gcreptile (The eaten tide pods) vs John Key 4-0

11. Deathray (First In, First Out and Never Invited to an Orgy Again) vs Sir Creep  (The Month-to-Month Tenants) 0-0

12.  Captain Chorizo vs Book  (Never Heard of Soccer) 0-0

• Like 4

On 02/02/2018 at 06:20, charon said:

My guess is it was Eddie Shaw, but he died 29/1.

GC ... The curious bit of me still wondering if this was who you alluded to? Death reported a couple of days late, big blues dood.

1 hour ago, charon said:

GC ... The curious bit of me still wondering if this was who you alluded to? Death reported a couple of days late, big blues dood.

The person isn't dead yet. And actually very underwhelming. Doesn't have a wikipedia page in spite of regular coverage.

Coolio.

Aha!

*Adds Coolio (of Gangsters Paradise fame) to my shortlist

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You still have quite a strong team even with one man no longer eligible...

• Like 1

Oh that is bad luck, Mr Creptile! But good luck anyhow.

18 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Ahem, my pick Mike Watson died in January. Only found out now, too late:

https://www.singingnews.com/featured/mike-watson-passes-away/

Edit: Happened to me last year, too, in the first round.

If you thought that was bad, turns out my pick Robert Loughlin died in 2011!

I picked him on the basis of this tweet and Instagram post, which suggested he had weeks to live. I'm a fucking idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

I picked him on the basis of this tweet and Instagram post, which suggested he had weeks to live. I'm a fucking idiot.

:o

Well, that's a new one!

1 hour ago, The Dead Cow said:

Decency stopped me hitting the 'like' or 'thanks' button :-)

Although one of my Deathfenders might have knocked an early one in, still think with 10 men, your Man city to my Brentford.

3 hours ago, The Dead Cow said:

I was wondering why on Earth a search for that name only turned up someone who died years ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

I was wondering why on Earth a search for that name only turned up someone who died years ago.

Same. I thought it might’ve been someone else on social media who was somewhat famous, but I didn’t bother to check. That said, I honestly don’t know why the host didn’t bother to ask Cow if he meant someone else instead of the dead one...

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

I honestly don’t know why the host didn’t bother to ask Cow if he meant someone else instead of the dead one...

Team came in at mid day on deadline day. I see it mid afternoon. Do a quick Google search of the main names. See guy is a musician from a quick check, and there's multiple of them, so assume a top deadpooler is picking the living one (turns out same guy and there was just a lot of bad research showing up on Google). Lack time to do anything else of note as very busy with work on that day. Come back in, put masterlist together, post, go to sleep.

Had it been obvious he was dead, I'd have said, but while there is a reference to him dying on first page of google when I checked (and remember Google first page is different per person reliant on algorithms and shit), there's also a news story about a musician Robert Loughlin "having cancer" dated from 2015! I was led to believe there was a living Robert Loughlin who was not famous just for being ill. Turns out it's badly worded, but, you know, sometimes we're reliant on the actual competitors being more on the ball, and especially if they're leaving it to the last minute to send a team in. (Not a slight against the Cow, I hasten to add.)

• Like 1

Oh well, I still think I've got a reasonably strong team with Whitfield, Goodwin, Ayres and Crider among my differentials.

Another of my unique picks, Olisa Metuh, is most likely lying/exaggerating, so I reckon I've fucked up there as well