Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

18 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Hm, my second round team apparently only has Anne Hamilton-Byrne left. Nesmo Marbina died in May 2017.

My first round team has three survivors, Benedict XVI (tactical pick, actually), M Karunanidhi (ripe for picking again, I guess), and Noel Conway.

My third round team (against DI) has Anne Hamilton-Byrne, Beat Richner (turns out the ill health was dementia or alzheimer's, not cancer) and M. Karunanidhi. I forgot who "Hodgkin" was.

But Manuel Noriega, Mohinder Kaur, Leo Cahill and Catherine Nevin have since died. Susan Stros already died back then but it could be she didn't obit or something... Anyway, I guess the team wasn't bad, just too slow.

I thought Karunanidhi had died. Must be mistaking him for someone else that had shown up on Wiki's Dead list last year.

Yer Hodgkin btw was Stuart Hodgkin, the terminally ill murderer. Someone I didn't pick in last years DDP due to the BBC local obits axing, and just as well, really: I can't see any news on him since 2016? Admittedly I spent 5 seconds looking on Google there, but anyhow...

2 hours ago, msc said:

Aye, it's not looking good for you, but who can tell - remember Fixed Business went 6 points down in the one day, so I'd guess another 6 point swing is entirely possibly.

Indeed but I'm also mindful of DL Cup's equivalent of goal difference which includes considering the age on death. Much of my line up are older than Charon's two stiffs. 

Billy Graham is dead! No, I'm serious. Don't look at me like I'm mad, he is actually dead. No, not the wrestling one, let's not get crazy here.

But he's dead, and I'm not crazy or mad, Rover is actually 6 points clear on Spade!!!

:o

Elsewhere, the Rev's demise means Book equalises against Cap'n Chorizo, though the DDP runnerup in 2016 holds advantage on the age difference. Also, we have a goal in the Deathray v Sir Creep tie, at long bloody last, and it goes to Cup newcomer Sir Creep! His uni presidents and obscure mayors may live on, but the Hand of God was on hand for the assist. Hehehe.

1.  Charon (Unrepentant) vs Maryportfuncity (Inter Youngboys FC) 6-0

2.  Pedro (Trottingbum Hotsores) vs The Dead Cow 3-13

3.  Young Willz (Glasgow Ron Weasley Ed Sheeran Slash Fanfiction Thistle Wanderers United) vs The Engineer 0-0

4.  Grim Up North (Going Going GUN) vs Yorkshire Banker 6-3

5.  Msc vs Wormfarmer 3-0

6.  Spade Cooley (Great Railway Journeys with Hughie Gallacher and Robert Enke) vs Roverandout 3-9

7.  Joey Russ vs Garn  (Video Assistant Reaper)  7-0

8.  Bibliogryphon (Bye Bye Biblio) vs Phantom of the Midway (AKA Rad Guy) 0-6

9.  Sean (Shaun of the Dead’s Magical Funeral Parlour) vs Fixed Business  (Business Fixed) 9-0

10. Gcreptile (The eaten tide pods) vs John Key 7-3

11. Deathray (First In, First Out and Never Invited to an Orgy Again) vs Sir Creep  (The Month-to-Month Tenants) 0-3

12.  Captain Chorizo vs Book  (Never Heard of Soccer) 3-3

• Like 5

Still Nil Nil in the battle of the titans though, I see....

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Still Nil Nil in the battle of the titans though, I see....

"Exciting matches all round, Gary."

"Engineer also played today, traveling to Firhill..."

tbh I thought Billy G was on your team! I was thinking of Benny. You know, two really old, religious, guys...or something.

• Like 1

I did think he'd go this year. He's on a few of my lists...just not this one. So, off to claim points....

Aye 

I'll lick my DL Cup wounds and console myself that Graham and Nevin are both on my DDP team

Great days for dead pooling these

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmmm - looking like a big ask with a week to go; Charon's playing a tactical blinder here

1.  Charon (Unrepentant) vs Maryportfuncity (Inter Youngboys FC) 6-0

Standard Cup tactic Mary , threatened to drop Nevin for the next round on 19/2 at 7pm, scores within hours on same day.

If only it'll work on some of the other journeymen, still think I'll need another afore the end of the tie.

If Vervoort does indeed check out on the last day of the month, it makes things 'interesting' for a few ties, especially if there are a few more goals afore then.

Would nail Spade and FB right into the ground, but Gurn and YB be right back in the mix.

^ Either that, or she's on every single team in March!

Ma's birthday 27th, so either then or day after when plug pulled.....

Marieke and her mum never got along. She's going to kill herself as a birthday present.

Well she's in the clinic primed, either way.

She won't see march.

* not putting together next round team yet in case she bottles it.....

I have a rules change suggestion.  In the final only, if the two teams are tied and the first two tie breakers don't decide it, instead of going to a coin flip, why not try sudden death overtime?  This wouldn't work in other rounds because you need a winner to proceed but if it's the final, there's no rush and the next person to die off of somebody's list would be a better way to win or lose than a coin flip.

3 minutes ago, deadsox said:

I have a rules change suggestion.  In the final only, if the two teams are tied and the first two tie breakers don't decide it, instead of going to a coin flip, why not try sudden death overtime?  This wouldn't work in other rounds because you need a winner to proceed but if it's the final, there's no rush and the next person to die off of somebody's list would be a better way to win or lose than a coin flip.

This was suggested last year and I said we'd cross the bridge if it came up. However, you chose to win within the 30 days. :D

I do propose that a drawn final shall continue into July under the old golden goal rule. ie next death wins. Rubbish for football, good for deadpooling. Though, this will hopefully never need to happen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, msc said:

This was suggested last year and I said we'd cross the bridge if it came up. However, you chose to win within the 30 days. :D

I do propose that a drawn final shall continue into July under the old golden goal rule. ie next death wins. Rubbish for football, good for deadpooling. Though, this will hopefully never need to happen.

I just think it would be disappointing to make it all the way to the final only to lose (or win) on a coin flip.  My local Death League has had three sudden death overtimes in twenty-two years and they are exciting.  And "sudden death" overtime makes so much more sense for us than other sports.

• Like 2

I suggested going to the three 'alternates' and at least it would give them some meaning.  Just throwing it back out there to chew on.
Edit:  I"m sorry my suggestion was for all rounds other than the Finals, I like the sudden death proposal.  

• Like 1

Right, for some reason I've gone all optimistic and sent my March team to msc.

It's all terribly exciting down at the Thistle Wanderers United pitch, the only failures are the ability of each team to score and the floodlights. :P

Tbh, I don’t think that my team is going to be that good for round 2 when I finish preparing it. I have been quite busy for the past week doing things, and when I do have time to research, I got nothing thus far...

34 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Tbh, I don’t think that my team is going to be that good for round 2 when I finish preparing it. I have been quite busy for the past week doing things, and when I do have time to research, I got nothing thus far...

:D

On 1/31/2018 at 18:01, msc said:

Masterlist, Round One

3.       Christopher Ayres – Dead Cow

Well Dead Cow hasn't scored with Ayres, but I say he earns a tie-break if necess, seeing as Ayres decided to put down his cat (Nero) a few days ago before it outlived him.
SC

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Well Dead Cow hasn't scored with Ayres, but I say he earns a tie-break if necess, seeing as Ayres decided to put down his cat (Nero) a few days ago before it outlived him.
SC

Aye, though as he's 10 points ahead with 4 days left, it'd take a series of unexpected events for that to come into play for the Cow now!

Well that can be tie-break #2, if any celeb loses a pet during the month.
So far we have alternates #1-3 as first tie break, celeb pets as second lol.  

A little early, but I have submitted my team for the 2nd round now.

The "mystery person" I alluded to a couple of pages ago, is still alive and now picked by me. If I don't advance, I will reveal the name on the 1st.

I'll send in something for Rd2 by day's end.  Still researching names and the usual.  I've found a couple names that were chosen in round 1 by three + teams and I've no idea why no matter how hard I search.  
Somebody knows something, and I'm trying to figure out what lol.
SC