Sign in to follow this  
msc

The Deathlist Cup 2018

1 hour ago, The Dead Cow said:

Dr David Martin apparently died last night

Everyone seems more dismissive than I am presently about getting to brass tacks.  Google isn't being my friend, what is this cat's claim to fame for 'celeb' status? 
SC
(EDIT: OK looks like he authored a couple books on running (There's a comic that makes fun of such books, forget who it is).  I guess that's enough?  

Just now, Sir Creep said:

Everyone seems more dismissive than I am presently about getting to brass tacks.  Google isn't being my friend, what is this cat's claim to fame for 'celeb' status? 
SC

He wrote a bunch of books like this in the 1990s.

Every pick goes through quality control checks at Cup HQ.

• Haha 1

Tbf, my eyes feel quite tired today, so I don’t think I’m functioning as fully as I should...

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

(EDIT: OK looks like he authored a couple books on running (There's a comic that makes fun of such books, forget who it is).  I guess that's enough?  

*nods*

Because I find debates over levels of fame to be as fun as developing a case of ebola, the criteria is simple and easy to remember: any noteworthy activity BEFORE becoming ill. So writers of obscure books, random historians and athletic legends in New Zealand OK, cancer blogger's no. Grey areas still crop up, and by god, this lot have tried most of them so far... :D

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Tbf, my eyes feel quite tired today, so I don’t think I’m functioning as fully as I should...

Happens to the best of us.

Here it is.  Starts at 1:00, mocking the works of Dr. David E. Martin.  

Figures an expert on running would be a bit too fast for his own good, eh?

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

looks like he authored a couple books on running

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, Toast said:

looks like he authored a couple books on running

They were runaway best sellers.

(I'll get me coat....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Toast said:

It'll be ok.  You prefer 'wrote'?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Phew! Glad that one's put to bed. As, I'm sure, is msc.

Yep, and as someone who hates putting alphabetical masterlists together I am now very tempted to add a Hewlett Rule to next years Cup. B)

Rather than any analysis, just some thoughts on the popular 2018 deadpooling picks:

Anzaki - went from 4 teams in Round 1 to 5 in Round 2.

Bracknell - went from 14 teams in Round 1 to 4 in Round 2! Rover and some dashing chap called msc were the only 2 to keep faith with Brackers. Though an impressive 11/14 people to pick her in Round 1 went out!

Blanco - A Charon unique in Round 1, a Charon unique in Round 2.  Certainly a goner, maybe not this soon? Could be a very smart pick though.

The Bush Couple - Went from 2 teams to 1 team, but the team with each of them in Round 1 kept them. Only this time, Rover and YWillz have unique picks, due to their Round 1 competition leaving the Cup!

Cappotelli - Sean remains the only person so far backing the WWE man not to be tough enough.

De Koven - Went from 3 teams to 2 teams, and that's 5 different teams in total!

Ken Doddery - Still a YWillz solo pick.

Goodwin - Goes from 5 teams to 8 teams.

Hamilton-Byrne - With no Maryport (her champion in these parts), AHB goes from 3 teams in Round 1 to none at all in Round 2.

Jose Jose Jose Jose - Went from 8 teams to 11 of the 16. Is he ill or something?

Jowell - Went from 6 teams to 2, and curiously, was on a bunch of top contenders teams in Round 1, all of whom dropped her for Round 2. Instead, Sean and Chorizo, two entirely different top contenders, have nabbed her, when you'd assume she's a month closer to expiring of brain cancer?

Lynott - Went from 9 teams in Round 1 to only 3 in Round 2. A clear reaction to her looking well (for someone with incurable lung cancer) at a public event in mid-Feb.

McCain - 8 to 5, but with 6/8 eliminated in Round 1. Only me and Rad survived.

Moss - Went from 2 teams to 4. Surprisingly low number imo.

Rae - Went from 6 teams to being a unique pick for msc, somehow, incredibly.

Stefansson - Was on 3 teams in Round 1, all exited the Cup. On 3 teams again, which seems incredibly low given the outlook - would have been on my team if I'd been able to send in a later team!

Vervoort - Goes from 12/22 to 16/16. The most popular pick in Cup history. Going to be a LOL if she now survives the month and makes everyone look foolish!

Vento - From 1 team to 4. As you'd imagine for a centenarian with pancreatic cancer!

Hannigan - The only pick to jump from nowhere. No picks in Round 1. Eleven picks in Round 2. Curious as I've been monitoring her case on and off for years now - almost part of the furniture round these parts like a Vivian Campbell or Daisy Berkow...oh yeah, he died.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, msc said:

Rather than any analysis, just some thoughts on the popular 2018 deadpooling picks:

The Bush Couple - Went from 2 teams to 1 team, but the team with each of them in Round 1 kept them. Only this time, Rover and YWillz have unique picks, due to their Round 1 competition leaving the Cup!

McCain - 8 to 5, but with 6/8 eliminated in Round 1. Only me and Rad survived.

Vervoort - Goes from 12/22 to 16/16. The most popular pick in Cup history. Going to be a LOL if she now survives the month and makes everyone look foolish!

My suspicion is there'll be a big American political death this month - I tried to cover all the bases by having McCain, Bush Sr. and Dole all included (toyed with removing each of them but instead had them all). Also kept faith with Momma McCain, in the hope of a double salvo when death of son is too much for mum, Debbie Reynolds-style.

My thinking on Vervoort is everyone's covering their behinds: no one wants to be the one to miss her, so she'll be on every team from now to the final if necessary. And as a result, everyone is basically playing with ten men. :D

50 minutes ago, msc said:

De Koven - Went from 3 teams to 2 teams, and that's 5 different teams in total!

Obayashi is a similar case, as he went from two to three, also on five different teams. Moss actually has four as he was Death Impends sub btw...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Obayashi is a similar case, as he went from two to three, also on five different teams. Moss actually has four as he was Death Impends sub btw...

What's that, Lassie? msc forgot to add DI's Moss pick to his paper masterlist he checks to hand out points from? What a silly old man.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, msc said:

Jose Jose Jose Jose - Went from 8 teams to 11 of the 16. Is he ill or something?

And Sir Creep DROPPED him from the roster, mind, however that factors in.

Awaiting:

14.    Qualifying obits? Every single English language newspaper or magazine (ie Bleeding Cool for example) in the universe. Also Le Monde, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Die Zeit, El Pais and El Mundo. If you still can’t get a QO, well, really…

For Carlo Ripa di Meana.

No need to hurry yourselves, though.

• Like 1

The thumping begins...

Death Impends vs Heef 0-0

Gcreptile vs Sir Creep 0-0

Joey Russ vs Grim Up North 0-0

Phantom of the Midway vs The Dead Cow 0-0

Sean vs Charon 0-0

Roverandout vs DDT 0-0

Captain Chorizo vs Young Willz 0-0

msc vs Deadsox 0-4

• Like 2

English version of foreign language papers counts?  Hell all you gotta do is click 'translate' to get an obit?  That's an Itialian site, nothing English about it except for the '/English/' pffft
Pure hogwash.  I'm sure the peasant will obit properly, but straining the intent of the rules to make it so is .... pure hogwash?
SC

No idea what THIS is but it's certainly more acceptable.  Like I said 100s will come now but let's wait for English By Nature.
(Edit: Of course this secondary source is citing Ansa.it. LOL)
Another pitiful but English language source lol (Actually this is clearly a google translate from Italian, so frankly that is garbage too)

In the universe, yes. And indeed, if I find that the aliens in another universe start an English obit internet newspaper, I'll consider it too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Whoa this is news to me!   I thought he was my worst pick.  Huh.

Jenkins (48) is one of if not THEE youngest name in the master list too, that’s not good news for gcreptile if we tie.

SC

(Edit: I did find it odd that the link to Jenkins’ personal FB page that I posted on my FB wall was dead yesterday (https://www.facebook.com/100000988332684, — note all posts are now blocked or deleted).  So I thought maybe something happened.  But I found his other page (https://www.facebook.com/brandon.jenkins.7315/) and it had the somewhat positive Feb 27 news still posted with no update so I figured he was stable.  (Now even those ‘updates’ by the family are gone.))

8 count em Vanessa Goodwin hits.  That’s half the teams, but myself and my opponent aren’t involved cuz we are dolts.  Well done to the half that had her.

SC