msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

4 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Sorry to disappoint you Joey Russ.   Perhaps a duet with Manikan, if nobody has him besides us?

It’s a trio. You’ll never guess who the third person was...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

It’s a trio. You’ll never guess who the third person was...

Yes, I just read the notification e-mail.  Doesn't surprise me.  Well, the game is on. 

2 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Yes, I just read the notification e-mail.  Doesn't surprise me.  Well, the game is on. 

Yeah, I was kind of expecting him to have him too once you mentioned that Manikan was on your team as well. So we’re all joint second at the moment (the person who’s currently first was the one who soloed with Jerry Van Dyke), but it’s only early days right now...

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, I was kind of expecting him to have him too once you mentioned that Manikan was on your team as well. So we’re all joint second at the moment (the person who’s currently first was the one who soloed with Jerry Van Dyke), but it’s only early days right now...

Yes, it is.  What I've noticed is that some people tend to play old Hollywood and better known names.  Anyone who does can benefit from an early death, like a Jerry Van Dyke.  In time, it's those who've made the effort to put people on their list that've been diagnosed with a serious illness who emerge as pool leaders.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Yes, it is.  What I've noticed is that some people tend to play old Hollywood and better known names.  Anyone who does can benefit from an early death, like a Jerry Van Dyke.  In time, it's those who've made the effort to put people on their list that've been diagnosed with a serious illness who emerge as pool leaders.   

That's true of any dead pool nowadays. Imo, there are three main types of dead poolers in almost any pool. The first type is the casual type, which are people who just put in old actors or people they really want to die (with the latter being something I'm not a fan of at all). They tend to score low, but they don't really care if they lose or not cause they're just doing it for fun. The second type of dead poolers, which I think is a little absent in alt obits since they don't reveal any names until they're hits, are the ones that mix in picks that casual players choose along with some public ill names that received lots of coverage. They tend to score within the middle of the dead pooling table. Picks that I think the second type might pick this year include John McCain, Olivia Newton-John, Linda Nolan, and Leah Bracknell. Maybe Stefan Karl, Liam Miller, or Greg Gilbert, but that's about it. Then the third type are the competitors who try for gold. Those are the ones who do a lot of research for ill picks in order to pick out names in order to try and win gold, and they try to pick younger folk for the DDP in order to gain more points. It is this type of dead pooler that will almost always win any competition nowadays due to how the art of dead pooling evolve. It's just seeing which of the researchers in dead pooling that would win...

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

they don't really care if they lose or not cause they're just doing it as a hobby.

I think anybody who's not just doing it as a hobby needs to have a word with themselves.  :unsure:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think anybody who's not just doing it as a hobby needs to have a word with themselves.  :unsure:

Clearly phrased that wrong, but I’m not sure how else to word it. Maybe you can help me word it better...

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Clearly phrased that wrong, but I’m not sure how else to word it. Maybe you can help me word it better...

Oh wait, I think I know how. Sorry for anyone who thought that I meant that researchers don’t do it as a hobby. :unsure:

The 'casual type' of contestant are people who probably only think about deadpooling once or twice a year.

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

That's true of any dead pool nowadays. Imo, there are three main types of dead poolers in almost any pool. The first type is the casual type, which are people who just put in old actors or people they really want to die (with the latter being something I'm not a fan of at all). They tend to score low, but they don't really care if they lose or not cause they're just doing it for fun. The second type of dead poolers, which I think is a little absent in alt obits since they don't reveal any names until they're hits, are the ones that mix in picks that casual players choose along with some public ill names that received lots of coverage. They tend to score within the middle of the dead pooling table. Picks that I think the second type might pick this year include John McCain, Olivia Newton-John, Linda Nolan, and Leah Bracknell. Maybe Stefan Karl, Liam Miller, or Greg Gilbert, but that's about it. Then the third type are the competitors who try for gold. Those are the ones who do a lot of research for ill picks in order to pick out names in order to try and win gold, and they try to pick younger folk for the DDP in order to gain more points. It is this type of dead pooler that will almost always win any competition nowadays due to how the art of dead pooling evolve. It's just seeing which of the researchers in dead pooling that would win...

The AO Deadpool has one person who only picks despots.  They may get a couple of hits a year but I guess their conscience is clear with their selections.  Otherwise, yes, many people only pick old actors and other elderly sorts while a select few tend to mostly include people who've received a serious diagnosis.  Some probably do throw a couple of better-known personalities.  All the names you mentioned above are familiar to me and were considered for my 2018 list. Within the second group, there are those who make the extra effort to find the hidden ailing.  I've seen many hits for people who I'd never heard and who I didn't come across in my preparations...and I do make the effort.  These forums are both a blessing and a curse in that they can offer up good suggestions while lessening the likelihood of solos, as I found out in 2017.   I'm cool with the lists not being revealed.  I see that's the exception, not the rule, as far as deadpools go.          

5 hours ago, Toast said:

I still don't understand their problem with Marieke Vervoort.  They exclude (and I quote)

* People who are only noteworthy for their cause of (impending) death. Read: no cancer-bloggers, no local weathermen with brain tumors, no Paralympians with degenerative muscle diseases, etc

But MV is not "only noteworthy for (her) cause of (impending) death".  Or do they not consider gold medal winning Paralympians "noteworthy"? 

Surely they are no less worthy than their Olympian equivalents?  If she hadn't won anything, I'd understand why she's not accepted.  But she has.

Inherently, I've found there's a certain amount of subjectivity with the decisions as to who hits the acceptance threshold for the AO Deadpool.  I guess it's unavoidable.  There is an argument to be made for Vervoort because she was a gold medal Paralympian but, given the distinctly lesser popularity of the Paralympics vs the Olympics, it was decided she didn't meet that threshold.  Even being an Olympian is actually no guarantee.  One of the 2018 picks I submitted and that was rejected, Ian Lariba, was an Olympic table tennis player from the Philippines.  She was at the 2016 games.  Just not famous enough.   

• Thanks 1

Well, obviously the likelihood of solos will decrease especially starting next year cause I suspect more forumites will participate in this next year. As for potential solos from my own team, here's what I think the likelihood is from picks not chosen by anyone else that publicly stated their teams (as well as some thoughts on their current health for some of them):

1. John Cocks - I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's a solo. There might be a chance because his case goes a while back, but I doubt it since research is something I presume some people do all year round. 
  2. Tim Curley - Might be a solo. Probably a fraud though, so it probably doesn't matter anyways with him.
  3. Fu Da-Ren - I do hope he's a solo, but of course, I'm not 100 percent certain on that.
  4. Christy Dignam - No chance. Probably too much of an overexagerator anyways, though he did say his most recent album would be his final one. 
  5. Oliver Dragojevic - I'll be pleased if this cultural icon from another country that usually isn't mentioned a lot is a solo. Currently doing well against cancer, but there's always the chance of relapse
  6. Stuart Fraser - I don't expect him to be a solo, but will be pleased if he turns out to be a solo. Interesting name as well
  7. Steffan Lewis - Well, it didn't go through for msc but it did for me, so I'm confused over his solo chance. Though if gcreptile is right about him not going through as a blessing in disguise, it would have been a wasted pick. 
  8. Nobuhiko Obayashi - Very interesting name. He might be a solo, though I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a solo.
  9. Tommy Raudonikis - No chance imo. I suspect a few other people picked him since he was easy to find.
  10. Holly Rowe - I think it's likely, but once again, no guarantee. Doing alright in her battle with cancer as well, but that probably means nothing this early on.
  11. Mark E Smith - No chance. I suspect he'll be picked on 4 - 5 teams.
  12. David Thomas - A bit undergroundish, so it could be likely. Once again, no guarantee.
  13. Rose West - No chance. Probably a fraud as well, though I wouldn't be mad if she's a hit.

21 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, obviously the likelihood of solos will decrease especially starting next year cause I suspect more forumites will participate in this next year. As for potential solos from my own team, here's what I think the likelihood is from picks not chosen by anyone else that publicly stated their teams (as well as some thoughts on their current health for some of them):

1. John Cocks - I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's a solo. There might be a chance because his case goes a while back, but I doubt it since research is something I presume some people do all year round. 
  2. Tim Curley - Might be a solo. Probably a fraud though, so it probably doesn't matter anyways with him.
  3. Fu Da-Ren - I do hope he's a solo, but of course, I'm not 100 percent certain on that.
  4. Christy Dignam - No chance. Probably too much of an overexagerator anyways, though he did say his most recent album would be his final one. 
  5. Oliver Dragojevic - I'll be pleased if this cultural icon from another country that usually isn't mentioned a lot is a solo. Currently doing well against cancer, but there's always the chance of relapse
  6. Stuart Fraser - I don't expect him to be a solo, but will be pleased if he turns out to be a solo. Interesting name as well
  7. Steffan Lewis - Well, it didn't go through for msc but it did for me, so I'm confused over his solo chance. Though if gcreptile is right about him not going through as a blessing in disguise, it would have been a wasted pick. 
  8. Nobuhiko Obayashi - Very interesting name. He might be a solo, though I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't a solo.
  9. Tommy Raudonikis - No chance imo. I suspect a few other people picked him since he was easy to find.
  10. Holly Rowe - I think it's likely, but once again, no guarantee. Doing alright in her battle with cancer as well, but that probably means nothing this early on.
  11. Mark E Smith - No chance. I suspect he'll be picked on 4 - 5 teams.
  12. David Thomas - A bit undergroundish, so it could be likely. Once again, no guarantee.
  13. Rose West - No chance. Probably a fraud as well, though I wouldn't be mad if she's a hit.

In this case, many of these names are familiar to me, but a few were off my radar.  I will say at least one made my final list, a carryover from last year.  Others...maybe, maybe not.  B)  As for my own possibility of solos, one is Canadian and just not much in the news.  Another will likely require a foreign language obituary.  Most of the rest on my list have probably been selected by a few people, but there may be a couple who slipped in unnoticed.  Suffice it to say, John McCain will not score any bonus points.

I actually didn't pick McCain for that reason. I thought the five points with no bonus chance wasn't worth it. I wanted to try and aim for higher points, so that was goodbye to McCain, Rae, and a few others. I also didn't pick anyone over 90 cause I didn't want to risk getting only 2 points even if they had bonus potential, so that was goodbye to T Boone Pickens. As for the potential carryover, I think I can pare it down to two names, but I'll leave it at that...

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I actually didn't pick McCain for that reason. I thought the five points with no bonus chance wasn't worth it. I wanted to try and aim for higher points, so that was goodbye to McCain, Rae, and a few others. I also didn't pick anyone over 90 cause I didn't want to risk getting only 2 points even if they had bonus potential, so that was goodbye to T Boone Pickens. As for the potential carryover, I think I can pare it down to two names, but I'll leave it at that...

Understandable.  My oldest in the 2018 pool is 89 and I do tend to avoid nonagenarians & centenarians.  Before superlatives (oldest, tallest, etc.) were disqualified as picks, I'd frequently choose the oldest living person at the time. Gave me a solo at the beginning of one year, where I led the Deadpool with 1 point (no bonus points for supercentenarians then) for a couple of days.    I made an exception last year for Mario Soares, given his comatose state.  

Any chance you chose Kevin Carr? I knew about him but his articles looked way too FFBI-esque, so I didn’t want to risk him...

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Any chance you chose Kevin Carr? I knew about him but his articles looked way too FFBI-esque, so I didn’t want to risk him...

No, I don't have him.  Can't say he came across my research last year.

Alright, I'm sure a lot of people are planning on playing in 2019, and I'm sure a lot of you are wondering what people could potentially be eligible picks. Well, I have gathered every pick that Gerard Tierney have successfully scored in the list down below, so that might help you get a better idea on who might be good picks in the future (obviously no one on the list would be a good pick since they're dead, but more on what type of picks might be good). So here's the long list:

Spoiler
  1. Jose Alencar
  2. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi
  3. John Andretti 
  4. Rene Angelil
  5. Frankie Banali
  6. Frank Bender
  7. Bob Benmosche
  8. Jana Bennett
  9. Daisy Berkowitz
  10. Nusrat Bhutto
  11. Tom Billington 
  12. Russell Bishop
  13. Jeff Blackshear 
  14. Kathleen Blanco
  15. Rebecca Blank
  16. Jack Body
  17. Stefano Borgonovo
  18. Pat Bowlen
  19. Leah Bracknell
  20. Charles Bradley
  21. Ian Brady
  22. Asa Branca 
  23. Bonnie Brown
  24. Henry Butler
  25. Steve Byrnes
  26. Matt Cappotelli 
  27. Henry Cecil
  28. Nick Charles
  29. Hugo Chavez
  30. Claude Choules
  31. Errol Christie
  32. Van Cliburn
  33. John Cocks
  34. Jonathan Coleman
  35. Ray Columbus
  36. Martin Crowe
  37. Michael Cullen
  38. Peter Maxwell Davies
  39. Tom Davis
  40. Gary DeCarlo
  41. Clive Derby-Lewis
  42. Paul Dewar
  43. Tony Dipardo
  44. Jenny Diski
  45. Jean Dore
  46. Gord Downie
  47. Randy Duncan
  48. Judy Dyble
  49. Robert G Edwards
  50. Bob Ellis
  51. LeRoy Ellis
  52. Peter Esterhazy
  53. Chuck Fairbanks
  54. Sally Farmiloe
  55. Maulana Fazlullah 
  56. Joey Feek
  57. Lewis Feild
  58. Denny Fitch
  59. Kim Fowley
  60. Bonnie Franklin
  61. Menachem Froman
  62. Phil Gartside
  63. Shankar Ghosh
  64. Robin Gibb
  65. Ahmad (Real) Givens
  66. Goose Gonsoulin
  67. Henry Gray 
  68. Dale “Buffin” Griffin
  69. Michael Gross
  70. Goran Hadzic
  71. Mark Hatfield
  72. Philip Hannan
  73. Damon Harris
  74. Smith Hart
  75. Bob Hawke
  76. Genaro Hernandez
  77. Nick Hitchon
  78. Fred Ho
  79. Harley Hotchkiss
  80. Geoffrey Hughes
  81. Dmitri Hvorostovsky
  82. Johnnie Irwin
  83. Clive James
  84. Etta James
  85. Bill Janklow
  86. Sandy Jardine
  87. Mose Jefferson
  88. Rebecca Jones
  89. Jose Jose
  90. Arfa Karim (why was she allowed?)
  91. Max Keeping
  92. Helen Kelly
  93. Lee Kerslake
  94. Rashid Khan
  95. Ralph Klein
  96. Sasha Lakovic
  97. Bruce Langhorne
  98. Steve LaTourette
  99. Scott LeDoux
  100. Devin Lima
  101. Joan Lind
  102. Floyd Little
  103. Charlie Louvin
  104. Eric Lubbock
  105. Ted Mack
  106. Spanky Manikan
  107. Roy Marble
  108. Howard Marks
  109. Hugh Masekela 
  110. Inez McCormack
  111. Sandy McDonald
  112. Frank McGarvey
  113. Michael McKevitt
  114. Liam Miller
  115. Nolan Miller
  116. Karen Muir
  117. Bryan Murray
  118. Doc Neeson
  119. Catherine Nevin
  120. Bernie Nolan
  121. Wubbo Ockels 
  122. Ronan O’Rahily
  123. Jack Pardee
  124. Tom Parker
  125. Manohar Parrikar
  126. J.P. Patches
  127. George Perez
  128. LG Petrov
  129. Larry Pickering 
  130. Mark Pilgrim
  131. Louise Plowright
  132. Mike Porcaro
  133. Gregory Powell
  134. Reg Presley
  135. Ray Price
  136. Ted Prior
  137. Jack Ramsay
  138. Julia Reichert
  139. Paul Revere
  140. Albert Reynolds
  141. Henri Richard 
  142. Fernando Ricksen 
  143. Fred Rister 
  144. Michael Robinson
  145. Lorena Rojas
  146. Johnny Ruffo
  147. Qaboos bin Said al Said
  148. Frank Sanders
  149. Yoo Sang-chul
  150. Malam Bacai Sanha
  151. William Donald Schaefer
  152. Edith Schaeffer
  153. Jock Scot
  154. Stuart Scott
  155. Mutulu Shakur
  156. Yitzhak Shamir
  157. Luton Shelton
  158. Tony Sheridan
  159. Sam Simon
  160. Peter Skellern
  161. Jerry Sloan
  162. Howard Smith
  163. Steve Smith
  164. Tom Smith
  165. Jimmy Snuka
  166. Michael Soles
  167. Stefan Karl Stefansson
  168. Dave Strader
  169. Jim Stynes
  170. Steve Sumner
  171. Doug Supernaw
  172. Ian Taylor
  173. Roy Taylor
  174. Orlando Thomas
  175. Peter Tobin
  176. Isabel Torres
  177. Morgan Tsvangirai 
  178. Jean-Claude Turcotte
  179. Bill Turnbull
  180. Steve Van Buren
  181. Joost van der Westhuizen
  182. Gianluca Vialli
  183. Roger Vinson
  184. Dwayne Washington
  185. Carl Webb
  186. Michael Weiner
  187. Doddie Weir
  188. Kevin White
  189. William White
  190. Mike Willesee 
  191. Michael Winner
  192. Franz Wright
  193. Rayfield Wright
  194. Robert Yates
  195. Mae Young
  196. Malcolm Young
  197. Zhuang Zedong

There's one pick that's questionable (and if you look them up, you'll see why), but they are very much a rarity. But anyhow, I thought I would share this with you guys who might want some ideas for this pool in 2019...

On 1/14/2018 at 07:51, drol said:

I has Dennis Stamp. An IBTimes obit was not enough apparently and that made me a bit angry. Anyway welcome to this forum, mr. Kirshner.

Thank you for the welcome.  Yes, I also sent the IBTimes obituary and ones from canoe.com, the Fight Network, various newspapers and even one from a Japanese website.  Some were full length obits, others shortened.  No combination proved sufficient to be the qualifying obituary.  In literally less than a minute from my posting this, the 2017 year will officially be closed.  

Aye, I think we can officially congratulate @JiroemonKimura for ending the five year streak of Gerard Tierney. Bit of a shame he’s not competing this year though...

Yes, well done Jiroemon!

Congratulations to Jiroemon Kimura / Cancerous Hatred for his 2017 win.

Yes, well done Jiroemon  :champagne:

Hope to see you back soon.

A lot of us probably had Cryne. No bonus for anyone, but I think me, Kirshner, and Gerard will be joint first now...

• Like 1