msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

Just noticed that my list is switching from random to alphabetical since Manikan. This means that Olivia Newton-John will probably be hit #7 then. ;) 

• Like 1

Marie Gruber, the most difficult name I managed to find for the AO Deadpool, has died.   There is some uncertainty as to whether the obituaries I provided are sufficient, as both are online German sites to what appear to be well known newspapers from that country.  At least one of last year's hits (Carsten Mohren) appeared to have been okayed with a German obit.  Gruber's death date on Wikipedia is listed as Thursday, February 8th, though her death is only being reported today (February 11th).  If it qualifies, I get another hit.  If the date is accurate...in Maxwell Smart voice, "Missed it by that much" (a vaunted trifecta, three deaths on one day). 

10 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Marie Gruber, the most difficult name I managed to find for the AO Deadpool, has died.   There is some uncertainty as to whether the obituaries I provided are sufficient, as both are online German sites to what appear to be well known newspapers from that country.  At least one of last year's hits (Carsten Mohren) appeared to have been okayed with a German obit.  Gruber's death date on Wikipedia is listed as Thursday, February 8th, though her death is only being reported today (February 11th).  If it qualifies, I get another hit.  If the date is accurate...in Maxwell Smart voice, "Missed it by that much" (a vaunted trifecta, three deaths on one day). 

It's in Der Spiegel, which Gcreptile should attest is one of the biggest newspapers/new magazines in Europe, so should be OK, I'd assume.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

It's in Der Spiegel, which Gcreptile should attest is one of the biggest newspapers/new magazines in Europe, so should be OK, I'd assume.

Good to hear.  Once I know for certain (unless an update comes first), I will confirm the hit here.

6 hits by the middle of February. A very decent performance by me so far. I reckon that it’ll slowly start to die down soon though...

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

6 hits by the middle of February. A very decent performance by me so far. I reckon that it’ll slowly start to die down soon though...

Only game I picked Morgan for, and he was a replacement for Steffan Lewis!

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

And congratulations on retaking the AO deadpool lead.  I've had Tsvangirai before, but not in any recent year. 

I did? That's nice to know. It does make me wonder how my 34 survivors are fairing at the moment, as I doubt Tsvangirai is the last one to go this month:

1. John Andretti - Was one of my replacement picks. All the secondary metastasis has been gone for a while now, but the main tumor it spread to is still there. I think he's doing way too well to be a hit this year though. 25%
  2. Kathleen Blanco - I saw the gravely ill reports. She does look like a likely bet to be a hit for this year, though I'm not sure if she's for spring or for summer. 85%
  3. Leah Bracknell - Well, if my gut feeling is right, her time should be coming up in about 3 weeks or so, similar to the same time frame as Martin Crowe or Sam Simon. Surely she can't last much longer. 95%
  4. Matt Cappotelli - If he goes this year, he'll go near the end of the year. But like I said before, I'm not quite sure if it's his year quite yet. I could see him making 2019. But the tumor is quite agressive. 70%
  5. Johnny Clegg - I saw the postponing of concerts till further notice. That can't be too good of a sign. But he was a replacement pick for me as I see him as more of a 2019 fatality than one for 2018. But then again, I had a similar vibe with Charles Bradley. 60%
  6. John Cocks - One for the end of the year. A near certain fatality, and unlike the DDP, he'll get the obit for this for sure. 90%
  7. Tim Curley - Think he's part of the fraud category,  but I felt like I needed a "dying" criminal as a part of my roster. And Rose west wasn't enough, as she wasn't as interesting for me. 30%
  8. Fu Da-Ren - Another replacement pick, I put him down solely as a test to see if he could make it through the filter. His death seems certain enough (and hopefully my solo chance is good enough as well). 95%
  9. Christy Dignam - I don't know what I was thinking with him. He's probably still the same exaggerator even after claiming to making his final album. 45%
  10. Oliver Dragojevic - His cancer is said to be in remission, but his original cancer was quite aggressive.  I have a feeling that it will return later this year more aggressively, but I'm not sure when in the year it will come back. 50%
  11. Aretha Franklin - Replacement pick again. That said, she has been awfully quiet in recent months, and I have a feeling that she's a goner this year. 70%
  12. Stuart Fraser - Another pick that has been awfully quiet. With him having lung cancer, it can''t be too good, though I'm not 100% sure what stage it is. 65%
  13. Greg Gilbert - The new metastasis is growing even though the old one is shrinking. And he's going through new experimental treatment. Hmm. 80%
  14. Steve Gleason - It should be his year on Joost's timeline, but he looks too healthy. Still, I thought he was too big of a risk to miss in case he does go this year. 50%
  15. Mazie Hirono - The final replacement pick for me. She seems way too active for her to go this year. But kidney cancer isn't the best kind of cancer you can have. 60%
  16. Clive James - His recent public mentions is looking more and more like a goodbye. I just have the feeling that he's a goner this year. 80%
  17. Jose Jose - If I had to make a guess on the next fatality for my team, my guess would be him. Hospitalization in the US for pancreatic cancer relapse and him looking like shit on the way there... It's a matter of when rather than if imo. 99%
  18. Tessa Jowell - Well, she looked terrible during her public appearance, and she was struggling to speak. I think she'll live for a bit, but she'll be gone by summer imo. 95%
  19. Steffan Lewis - A 50/50 youngster. I just picked him because he has stage 4 cancer, but his death could go either way imo. 50%
  20. Devin Lima - Another 50/50 youngster, though in this case, we know the cancer is quite rare. I still have a gut feeling he'll make 2019 however. 50%
  21. Peter Lorimer - Another one of those awfully quiet people. Surely he has to go very soon, no? 90%
  22. Ted Mack - Another awfully quiet one. Actually, he hasn't had an update since his diagnosis, but his death is sure to be reported. 95%
  23. Olivia Newton-John - One of those defensive picks here. It's very unlikely that anyone will ever reach 40 deaths (hell, I don't think anyone reached 25 for that matter), so I don't really feel guilty choosing her here. 30%
  24. Linda Nolan - Another defensive pick. Younger in points than Newton-John. Wasted pick right now, but maybe (and only maybe) her cancer will spread sooner than we think. 35%
  25. Nobuhiko Obayashi - He was given six months to live in August, surely he has to go soon. 95%
  26. Tommy Raudonikis - Cancer is back for third time, people say that he might not make it, gut feeling is that they're right. 85%
  27. Chris Rea - Had a major health scare in December. Might be safe for the year, but I'm not sure if he's safe for the year. 55%
  28. Fernando Ricksen - His most recent appearances definitely have the feel of a goodbye. He might not go this year, but I think he's more likely to go than not. 75%
  29. Holly Rowe - Her cancer seems to be in control. But the spread means that she isn't necessarily safe for the year. 30%
  30. Stefan Karl Stefansson - I think his cancer will return this year and get him this year, though he isn't a certainty by any means. 75%
  31. Nobby Stiles - Well, I think it's another case of when rather than if. Think he's going this year. 90%
  32. Bernard Tapie - His cancer has metastasized according to recent news, and he's looking more and more like a 2018 demise. 80%
  33. David Thomas - Apparently he isn't doing too well, but I think Mark E Smith already took the dying hard living musician for the year. 45%
  34. Rose West - Her health scares is probably a fraud. One of those pick I do actually regret. 20%

So, if I get everyone that I rated over 80% without any solos, duos, or trios (Blanco, Bracknell, Cocks, Da-Ren, Gilbert, James, Jose, Jowell, Lorimer, Mack, Obayashi. Raudonikis, Stiles, and Tapie), I would be at 20 hits with a score of 204. That would almost certainly be one of the best debuts in any dead pool, and I could easily get more with the unknown bonuses yet to come...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

It does make me wonder how my 34 survivors are fairing at the moment,

Slipping through the wind of change quite well.

Gerard Tierney thought that Morgan Tsvangirai was going to die, as he also picked him along the five people on the forums who chose him (me, msc, drol, gcreptile, and Fixed Business). Can’t say I’m that surprised...

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Gerard Tierney thought that Morgan Tsvangirai was going to die, as he also picked him along the five people on the forums who chose him (me, msc, drol, gcreptile, and Fixed Business). Can’t say I’m that surprised...

I am more surprised when someone dies of cancer and Tierney misses them tbh.

• Like 1

When me and Deceased Hose have the same two hits :wub:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

When me and Deceased Hose have the same two hits :wub:

Great minds think alike I guess.

Joey, your analysis and research a couple of posts above this are impressive.  No wonder you're leading the Alt Obituaries.

Catherine Nevin is a duo for two people. Deceased Hose and...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Catherine Nevin is a duo for two people. Deceased Hose and...

Our nemesis Gerard Tierney.

Congrats on your trio with Roger Bannister Toast. :) 

• Thanks 1

Cheers, that's a surprise.  Thought he'd be a more popular pick.

Congrats on your solo with Sir Ken Dodd FixedBusiness. :) 

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Congrats on your solo with Sir Ken Dodd FixedBusiness. :) 

Thanks a lot, Joey! I definitely felt he was a goner this year after seeing recent pictures of him. 

Interesting he died only hours after he canceled his tour dates.

On 1/3/2018 at 06:03, msc said:

Miller, Zell (US politician)

He has died.

EDIT: Congrats on the solo.

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

He has died.

EDIT: Congrats on the solo.

That's a surprise. I thought he was known to be in a bad way in the US?

Not picked in the Cup either, mind you.

I appear to be standing still, as some of the expected deaths haven't come to pass, so to speak.  Congratulations to those who've had Deadpool hits in March.  The closest I can come is that I (and maybe others) had Mike MacDonald in 2013.  He's the latest addition to Strikeouts.

I get the feeling of a calm before the storm feeling with March. There's definitely a lot of people that make me wonder how they lasted so long, so I suspect April will have a couple of major deadpooling deaths...

• Like 1