msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

Well, this was a test run. Now I know how low the fame level can go....

• Like 1

Indeed, congratulations to those who've chosen the three latest hits to solo, McCann, Lambie & Shore.  Meanwhile, I've been spinning my wheels for two months.   My picks seem to undergo major surgery before heading out on the road to recovery.  (Three so far in calendar 2018 about which I know).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Indeed, congratulations to those who've chosen the three latest hits to solo, McCann, Lambie & Shore.  Meanwhile, I've been spinning my wheels for two months.   My picks seem to undergo major surgery before heading out on the road to recovery.  (Three so far in calendar 2018 about which I know).  

Hang in there ao.  It's a marathon not a sprint.

• Like 1

Think Babs is the first time I learned of a death via the AODP email.

• Like 1

I get a hit with singer Lara St. Paul.

42 minutes ago, drol said:

I get a hit with singer Lara St. Paul.

Think you’re in the lead now.

Yep, just like I expected, you’re leading with 82 points. Congrats drol. 

Yes, congratulations to the new pool leader.  Still mostly quiet at the top.

On 1/13/2018 at 22:05, alt obits guy said:

1) Satoru Anzaki, 2) Ray Bitar, 3) Ami Brown, 4) Dean Francis, 5) Vanessa Goodwin, 6) Ian Lariba, 7) Abdelhak Nouri, 8) Carl Perkins (not the Blue Suede Shoes guy), 9) Joe Redner, 10) Will Rogers (not the man who liked everyone he met) 11) Dingko Singh and 12) Marieke Vervoort

The Carl Perkins I assumed that you were talking about has died.

Tessa Jowell is a hit for many of us. If I had to guess, Kirshner probably chose her as well.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Tessa Jowell is a hit for many of us. If I had to guess, Kirshner probably chose her as well.

You are correct, I had her too.  I bet Gerard Tierney also included her on his list. 

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

You are correct, I had her too.  I bet Gerard Tierney also included her on his list. 

Surprisingly, Gerard didn’t have her on his list...

• Like 2

I’m in the Alt Obits Facebook group, and the person who ran it before the current host said she would’ve excluded her if she was running this. I would’ve shocked if she was excluded tbh, more shocked than I was when Francis and Goodwin were excluded... 

The old host asked this question: Were Allen Kirshner, Charlene, Deceased Hose, Ed V., Fisher, Joey Russ, Morlock, Pan Breed, TJS, and Toast familiar with the poor lady? 

Personally, I didn’t know her beforehand, but I’m sure a few posters on here do recognize her...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The old host asked this question: Were Allen Kirshner, Charlene, Deceased Hose, Ed V., Fisher, Joey Russ, Morlock, Pan Breed, TJS, and Toast familiar with the poor lady? 

Personally, I didn’t know her beforehand, but I’m sure a few posters on here do recognize her...

I only became aware of her when she became ill but she was a significant pol in the UK.  The alt obit DP is a bit quirky as to who they allow or disallow.  I've been surprised at some who were disallowed (I have a few every year) as well as surprised at who has been let in.  It's a case of "your pool-your rules" so I don't squawk (much). 

• Like 1

She wasn't familiar to me pre-illness, no. I'm sure if I lived in the UK I would've been well familiar with her as I understand from the UK posters here she's a household name over there. It's a valid point but I still make sure to read up on the lives of people I pick regardless of how I first learned of them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

No, I wasn't aware of her pre-illness but she seemed to have played a big part in the Olympics in the UK, etc. (Correct me if I'm wrong though). I only occassionaly look at British politics, and it's honestly mostly through here that I get my knowledge. I live in North America so we get either news on Cuckdeau or Trump

Deadpooling has made me much more cosmopolitan.  I know about old and sick people all over the world that I would never have heard of otherwise.  The old host at Alt Obit's used to say to me "You only want him/her because he's/she's got pancreatic cancer" and I used to say "Yes, isn't that the point - picking people who are going to die?  Should I be picking all young healthy people?"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I’m in the Alt Obits Facebook group, and the person who ran it before the current host said she would’ve excluded her if she was running this.

That's just plain ignorance.  She was a very prominent politician here, a Cabinet Minister, whether they'd heard of her or not. 

If I haven't heard of her US equivalent, I'd regard that as a gap in my knowledge.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

That's just plain ignorance.  She was a very prominent politician here, a Cabinet Minister, whether they'd heard of her or not. 

If I haven't heard of her US equivalent, I'd regard that as a gap in my knowledge.

Current US equivalent would, I guess, be someone like Betsy DeVos (their Education Sec) who still shows up enough in the news to be a name I'm aware of, even if if I couldn't pick her out of a crowd.

She argued that most of her fame was because of Jowell’s cancer fundraising. While I can kind of see why she thought that, if I saw a person like that, I would do research on the person before deciding if they were well known or not. Jowell definitely seemed notable in the UK at least (and she even got some major American obituaries)...

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

She argued that most of her fame was because of Jowell’s cancer fundraising. While I can kind of see why she thought that, if I saw a person like that, I would do research on the person before deciding if they were well known or not. Jowell definitely seemed notable in the UK at least (and she even got some major American obituaries)...

Note - the "fundraising" began in 2018.

I know you know that, Joey! Just saying.

Rest assured every pick sent to the Deathlist Cup I went and looked up in detail before turning them down (or not).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The woman is beyond ignorant.  If she had done the most basic research (Wikipedia) she would have seen at once that TJ's notability long pre-dated her illness.  I have no problem with her being unfamiliar with TJ, but I do with her arrogant xenophobic attitude.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, msc said:

Current US equivalent would, I guess, be someone like Betsy DeVos (their Education Sec) who still shows up enough in the news to be a name I'm aware of, even if if I couldn't pick her out of a crowd.

Right, I have heard the name but wouldn't be able to say who she was.  On hearing that she was Education Secretary, I would immediately be satisfied with her level of fame.

• Like 1