msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

Any person who has sat in both houses of parliament and served at cabinet rank under 2 prime ministers and is associated with the Olympic bid is worthy of inclusion on fame levels.Her death was the top news story on the two main channels.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Surprisingly, Gerard didn’t have her on his list...

That is a surprise.  Depending on how he does in the deadpool by year's end, he may be vindicated for not having chosen her or it may cost him a return trip to the top of standings following his 2nd place finish in 2017.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

The woman is beyond ignorant.  If she had done the most basic research (Wikipedia) she would have seen at once that TJ's notability long pre-dated her illness.  I have no problem with her being unfamiliar with TJ, but I do with her arrogant xenophobic attitude.

You have a point Toastie.  With some people it's "If I've never heard of him, he's not a celebrity".  That's why objective criteria like getting an obit in a significant news source is a good rule for pools like the DDP.  Of course, then we can argue over what's a significant news source.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

The old host asked this question: Were Allen Kirshner, Charlene, Deceased Hose, Ed V., Fisher, Joey Russ, Morlock, Pan Breed, TJS, and Toast familiar with the poor lady? 

Personally, I didn’t know her beforehand, but I’m sure a few posters on here do recognize her...

That would be Amelia Rosner.  The answer, in my case, is 'no'.  However, her fame isn't determined by knowledge or ignorance of the individual but by an inherent notability.  There is a subjective nature in determining whether a pick meets the AO Deadpool's benchmark threshold.  In Tessa Jowell's case, she was a former British Cabinet minister.  To me, that makes her a well enough known name to qualify, even if she may be mostly unknown outside the U.K.  Last year, one person had a hit with former Canadian Cabinet minister Mauril Belanger.  I knew of him because he was a prolific politician but I doubt too many outside of Canada were familiar with the man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kudos on your duo with Ray Wilson msc.

• Thanks 1

For the second year in a row, an AO Deadpool player has , themself, died.  In checking the updated standings list page, the subsequent breakdown of players and their individual hits has an 'R.I.P.' next to the name of B&T's Characters.  Last year, long-time player (and occasional alt.obituaries Google Group poster) King Daevid Mackenzie passed on.  

• Sad 2

That's very sad.  Was he obitable

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In looking over the lists posted here, I can see that deadsox / Deceased Hose had John Bain aka TotalBiscuit. As luck would have it, so did I.  He was also on my 2017 list, so not a last minute substitution for a rejected player or anything.  I've sent links to the cnet.com and the sun.co.uk obituaries.  Both are a little thin on information but the Sun obit indicates more is coming.   I don't foresee an issue (said with hopeful confidence).

• Like 1

If no one younger goes, he would get the end of the year bonus for the youngest pick that year...

EDIT: Congrats on going back into the lead as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

If no one younger goes, he would get the end of the year bonus for the youngest pick that year...

EDIT: Congrats on going back into the lead as well.

Thank you.  Yes, he'd bump Liam Miller as the youngest hit.  I will also say he's the youngest person I chose, so I have no response if a Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber etc. goes and they were someone's long shot pick. 

6 hours ago, FujimoriNoMorey said:

when does next years game start

It's a Jan-to-Dec pool

Alright, so I’m waiting for points for Fu Da-ren right now. The reason why I don’t have points for him is that I need an obit that’s a) from a big news source and b) one that’s not focused on his euthanasia. If any of you can help me on that front, it would be greatfully appreciated. 

36 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Alright, so I’m waiting for points for Fu Da-ren right now. The reason why I don’t have points for him is that I need an obit that’s a) from a big news source and b) one that’s not focused on his euthanasia. If any of you can help me on that front, it would be greatfully appreciated. 

Already started looking today because I don't want to see anyone lose a hit due to lack of a proper source.  Had it happen to me twice over the years. The BBC Chinese news site does have an article but it is focused on the euthanasia and not actually an obituary.  Will post any link that I think could be accepted.  I guess we can rule out the Focus Taiwan News Channel and Taipei Times obituaries.  

55 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The Taiwan Yahoo site has an obituary-like entry.  Debatable as to whether it fits into the Western world definition of an obituary. 

Here is the original Chinese site link

https://tw.news.yahoo.com/傅達仁瑞士安樂死-享壽85歲-230936888--nba.html

Here is the translated-to-English version link

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-TW&u=https://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%82%85%E9%81%94%E4%BB%81%E7%91%9E%E5%A3%AB%E5%AE%89%E6%A8%82%E6%AD%BB-%E4%BA%AB%E5%A3%BD85%E6%AD%B2-230936888--nba.html&prev=search

Sent that one along with another one that showed his life in pictures along with some other text. Will keep you updated if one of those two works as an obit...

• Like 1

I'm surprised DDD was a pick and Mary Wilson was a miss

8 minutes ago, FixedBusiness said:

I'm surprised DDD was a pick and Mary Wilson was a miss

Didn't think the Pan Breed favourite (RIP) would pass their candidate checks. Given some of my rejected names, pretty sure of it.

I would’ve guessed that she would’ve been able to go through since she is basically the UK’s equivalent to a First Lady...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I would’ve guessed that she would’ve been able to go through since she is basically the UK’s equivalent to a First Lady...

Given I've had winter Olympians, weathermen, reality tv stars, footballers, authors, British politicians, and boxers, among others, rejected for not being famous, you can see why I didn't.

The AODP strikeouts list has her as last picked in 2015, so she did previously pass the fame query. Which of course is secret until the name actually dies.

The foreign BBC has now released a fascinating obituary on Fu Da-ren's life: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fzhongwen%2Ftrad%2Fchinese-news-44422741&sandbox=1

I still haven't received a reply for any of the links that I've sent, so I'm starting to get a bit worried, but maybe he's just a bit busy right now...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

The foreign BBC has now released a fascinating obituary on Fu Da-ren's life: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fzhongwen%2Ftrad%2Fchinese-news-44422741&sandbox=1

I still haven't received a reply for any of the links that I've sent, so I'm starting to get a bit worried, but maybe he's just a bit busy right now...

The litmus test is whether anyone else gets added to either the 'hits' list or the 'Strikeouts' list beforehand.  Otherwise, do your best to remain patient and not think about it.  Since Hulka took over the AO Deadpool, I've not noticed any discernible pattern in when hits are scored. I guess most frequently I've noticed he will do morning updates...sometimes wee hour of the morning updates (Eastern Time).  I've not found a source better than the one you've listed here, but will refrain from saying anything else and let things play out.  Best of luck.

I will say that from what I read, he’s certainly one of the most fascinating people I picked in a dead pool, going from an orphan at age 4 to being a very influential sportscaster in Taiwan to his advocacy of euthanasia in the last few years and everything in between...

• Like 1

June has been quiet for the AO deadpool.  However, I do get to make a little noise.

I had Leon White / Big Van Vader in the deadpool.   I just sent an e-mail to the Deadpool staff with a link to the Sports Illustrated obituary.  An update should be forthcoming sometime soon.

• Like 1