msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

41 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

June has been quiet for the AO deadpool.  However, I do get to make a little noise.

I had Leon White / Big Van Vader in the deadpool.   I just sent an e-mail to the Deadpool staff with a link to the Sports Illustrated obituary.  An update should be forthcoming sometime soon.

Hopefully that’ll come with some points for Fu Da-ren. I still don’t know if any of the obits I sent him counted or not...

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Hopefully that’ll come with some points for Fu Da-ren. I still don’t know if any of the obits I sent him counted or not...

Yes, I guess this will be the litmus test. Thought the one person who plays despots might've had Fazlullah but it seems not.  Haven't heard anything yet regarding Vader, so no points update as yet.

I think he may be taking a vacation or something, as there’s multiple people that I thought might’ve been picked by someone such as Reinhard Hardegen and Peter Thomson...

26 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think he may be taking a vacation or something, as there’s multiple people that I thought might’ve been picked by someone such as Reinhard Hardegen and Peter Thomson...

I would say you're probably right.  Hulka usually does take them once a year.  He sent out a e-mail to that effect in 2016 (his first year running the AO Deadpool) but not last year.  If (when) Joe Jackson dies, that'll be one more with which he'll have to deal as I see gcreptile has the Jacksons' patriarch on his list.

Turns out Hulka was ill for a while. Anyways, the BBC obit counted and he’s a solo for me. ^_^

Gerard Tierney had a Fazlullah solo while I congrats Kirshner on his trio with Vader.

45 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Turns out Hulka was ill for a while. Anyways, the BBC obit counted and he’s a solo for me. ^_^

Gerard Tierney had a Fazlullah solo while I congrats Kirshner on his trio with Vader.

Congratulations to you, as well.  I also did get Hulka's e-mail and was coming here to provide an update.  Once everything is calculated, we'll have a better idea where everyone stands.

This is the current state of the leaderboard. 19EDBD00-ACC8-46E5-A126-FFFEA3F5275D.thumb.png.cad4f127eef93588aedc0bf66f5174bd.png

So I’m currently in second place. Unless someone younger dies, I’m going to need 45 more points in order to be in the lead since Bain is currently the youngest hit and my youngest person (Steffan Lewis) is already 34. Being in 4th place with only 6 hits, you can see why Gerard Tierney is always a contender for the title...

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

This is the current state of the leaderboard. 19EDBD00-ACC8-46E5-A126-FFFEA3F5275D.thumb.png.cad4f127eef93588aedc0bf66f5174bd.png

So I’m currently in second place. Unless someone younger dies, I’m going to need 45 more points in order to be in the lead since Bain is currently the youngest hit and my youngest person (Steffan Lewis) is already 34. Being in 4th place with only 6 hits, you can see why Gerard Tierney is always a contender for the title...

Yet to be update on the website but I will take this as what it'll look like.  Yes, the efficiency of the points-per-hit is one measure for the deadpool.  It can be a combination of younger hits and a little good luck (daily doubles, birthday deaths).  Mr. Tierney's rate is just over 14 points per hit.  That's among the better totals for anyone with a minimum of 5 hits, let's say.  Additionally, the John Bain hit did exclude everyone whose youngest pick is older than him from potentially collecting that year-end bonus.  Now, I did mention in one post that Bain was my youngest pick in the deadpool and that anyone who may have Justin Bieber or Lindsay Lohan, for example, could best me with their deaths.  Anyone reading that post may have also caught on that I don't have Carl Ikeme, whom some people chose.  He was a shortlisted pick for me, but everything I read about him indicated he was on the road to recovery.  That still appears to be the case. In fact, there is news from about a day ago he's in complete remission. 

Carl Ikeme was never seriously considered for anything for me. He just seemed way too well his entire battle...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Carl Ikeme was never seriously considered for anything for me. He just seemed way too well his entire battle...

The term 'acute leukemia' was an attention grabber for me.  It has an ominous tone.  However, all that I read about him indicated he wasn't in any acute danger of dying.  Still, given his age, he was someone I considered when submitting my original list, as well as the revised one.  Ultimately, I left him off both times. 

No, I don't have another hit but I do have a peculiar circumstance and wonder if anyone else is similarly affected.  I noticed that in Mozilla Firefox (my usual browser) the AO Deadpool does not have the most recent scoring update.  When I check it in Internet Explorer (and also Google Chrome), the update appears.  Exact same URL, different results.  I've attached a copy of each.  Anybody else using Firefox?  

altobituaries1.png

altobituaries2.png

Have you tried refreshing the page? I had to do that on Safari a couple of times before I could see the update...

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Have you tried refreshing the page? I had to do that on Safari a couple of times before I could see the update...

Yes, I refreshed the page and even rebooted my computer.  No change.

Quite surprised that Joe Jackson is a solo for gcreptile. Congrats on picking him.

• Like 2

On 25/06/2018 at 19:06, alt obits guy said:

Yes, I refreshed the page and even rebooted my computer.  No change.

Edit:  The problem did correct itself on Wednesday.  The Firefox URL is up-to-date and includes today's Joe Jackson hit.

Congratulations indeed to gcreptile for the Joe Jackson solo and closing in on several other players.

Solo!

Very nice...

Matt Cappotelli, a hit for at least four people, and I suspect that he’s very likely to be on the teams of Allen Kirshner and Gerard Tierney...

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Matt Cappotelli, a hit for at least four people, and I suspect that he’s very likely to be on the teams of Allen Kirshner and Gerard Tierney...

Yes, I did have Matt Cappotelli.  Ironically only finding out about his death in the wee hours of Saturday morning because I was out at an indy wrestling show Friday night.  I'd been checking his wife's Instagram for a couple of weeks and had read the entry about home hospice care a few days ago.  Clearly a signal the end was near but his death still feels a little abrupt.  Not bothering to e-mail the AO Deadpool as I suspect someone has already done so.  Congratulations to Deceased Hose, Morlock, Pan Breed and to you, as well.

Yep Gerard did have Cappotelli. Ed V also had him as well (I think he won one of these a few years). Absolutely no change in the top 6, only a bigger gap between us and the (generally) more casual players...

Not officially a hit just yet, but I did have Henry Butler in the deadpool.  Have submitted the one current online obit, from the New Orleans Times-Picayune, for consideration.  Will let everyone know when I hear any news.

Edit: He's officially a hit.  A duet for Gerard Tierney and myself.

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

Not officially a hit just yet, but I did have Henry Butler in the deadpool.  Have submitted the one current online obit, from the New Orleans Times-Picayune, for consideration.  Will let everyone know when I hear any news.

Edit: He's officially a hit.  A duet for Gerard Tierney and myself.

There was a name that did show up in my research, but from what I read, he was still doing alright...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

There was a name that did show up in my research, but from what I read, he was still doing alright...

He was scheduled for a series of concerts in France in July.  Chose him because of his January 2017 stage IV colon cancer diagnosis.   I was burned in last year's deadpool after dropping Bryan Murray, who I'd had in 2016.  Of course, he was also done in by stage IV colon cancer.

http://henrybutler.com/shows/

Congrats on getting the Lindy Remigino trio to msc, gcreptile, and drol. 

• Like 3