msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Lorraine Warren, pick for @Book here is being reported as dead on Twitterboard.

No formal news source yet afaik.

Ignoring her carny methods for a moment, that's a huge name in popularising modern folklore gone.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Ignoring her carny methods for a moment, that's a huge name in popularising modern folklore gone.

One of your DDP picks too I believe msc.

Obviously sources awaited.

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Lorraine Warren, pick for @Book here is being reported as dead on Twitterboard.

No formal news source yet afaik.

And it’s a solo for Book. Congrats. :) 

• Thanks 1

They put Do Muoi's photo instead of Le Duc Anh's! Blasphemy! :flame2:

No hits to report, but a rejected replacement pick of mine, Charity Sunshine Tillemann-Dick, has now died.  Her death is also noted elsewhere in the Deathlist. 

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

No hits to report, but a rejected replacement pick of mine, Charity Sunshine Tillemann-Dick, has now died.  Her death is also noted elsewhere in the Deathlist. 

Absolute bollocks she was rejected.  

• Like 1

The Old Crem and I scored a duet with Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg. I for one thank the Deathlist. My 2019 alt.obituaries list is not at all competitive this year -- I don't care, as long as I get more hits than my friend in an on-running bet -- but Deathlist.net's regulars have signifcantly contributed to my top ten performances in another dead pool.

• Like 2

Very sad to report I got a solo hit with Peter Mayhew. R.I.P. miss you I will.

Cancerous Hatred jumps into 3rd after two solo hits for him...

Congratulations to all who've had recent hits.  Sprent Dabwido, Freddie Starr Doris Day and now Tommy Donbavand  & Tim Conway.  I had none of these people, so the race tightens.

(Edit: I'm guessing Donbavand doesn't yet have a QO.  If I see one, I'll post it.)

Denise Nickerson should be my first hit here in a few months

Nice hit! 

A part of my childhood died with her...

Ominous tightening at the top.

44 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ominous tightening at the top.

Well Sir Creep will have to take solace in having the most hits (10) as we scoot into July.  It’s a strong group of competitors and he will have to be happy with having that accomplishment.   That said, it’s his first foray into alt obits and whatever the scoring structure is, it doesn’t favour him.  It’s all good.  Live and learn (he has been living and learning long enough — 56 years — to know what he is encountering, and he even has a name or two for it).  

• Like 1

After nearly four months of no hits, I finally get another hit. I had Johnny Clegg, and I’m sure plenty of people also had him in Alt Obits too.

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

After nearly four months of no hits, I finally get another hit. I had Johnny Clegg, and I’m sure plenty of people also had him in Alt Obits too.

Yes, I had him, as well.  My first hit since Manohar Parrikar.  As for the rest of my team who remain alive, they now fit very neatly into two categories:  1) The long goodbye.  2) Healthier than when selected.  

As stated in on the previous post Sir Creep ALREADY HAD THE MOST HITS.  Throw in a Daily Double cuz he’s so awesome, if he isn’t running away with this DP the scoring system truly sucks balls.  (News flash: He’s not even in the top 3)

Enjoy your Pyrrhic victory to whoever wins.

SC

09A29744-8C0E-4224-A991-00960BEB712F.png

• Haha 2

Aye so I looked and am disgusted with this DP.  Rookie of the Year I’ll not be returning.

How the hell Banana with 7 hits 1 solo has more points than SirC with 12 hits 1 solo..... well, it’s fucked.

And there are a couple teams i couldn’t hope to catch, and they have 9 or 10 hits.  No chance of winning do I have.  I seriously couldn’t catch them if my entire team died.  

word of the day: Pyrrhic.

4 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Aye so I looked and am disgusted with this DP.  Rookie of the Year I’ll not be returning.

How the hell Banana with 7 hits 1 solo has more points than SirC with 12 hits 1 solo..... well, it’s fucked.

And there are a couple teams i couldn’t hope to catch, and they have 9 or 10 hits.  No chance of winning do I have.  I seriously couldn’t catch them if my entire team died.  

Maybe Banana has more points with less hits because you went for a bunch of people over 90. 

It really punishes you if you go for a bunch of old names, you need to focus on younger names to really be competitive. Sure, you can have a few old names here and there, but you can’t rely on doing well by having a bunch of old names on your list, and that’s what looks to be your problem

9 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Banana
7 hits
Chris Wilson (60s), Andrew McGahan (50s), Paul Dewar (50s), John Cocks (50s - daily double), Manohar Parrikar (60s), Denise Nickerson (60s, unique), Johnny Clegg (60s)
1 solo, 1 Daily Double

Sir Creep
12 hits
Carol Channing (90s), Andrew McGahan (50s), Paul Dewar (50s), Vinny Vella (70s, unique), Manohar Parrikar (60s), Tim Conway (80s), Herman Wouk (104), Bart Starr (80s), Dave Bartholomew (100), John McCririck (70s), Johnny Clegg (60s), John Paul Stevens (90s)
1 solo, 1 trio, 1 Daily Double

As seen below, you picked up 6 points from 4 picks! (Counting Conway and Starr, 16 points from 6). Alt Obits heavily skews against older picks.

Age at Death Points Awarded
0 to 19 25
20 to 29 22
30 to 39 20
40 to 49 18
50 to 59 14
60 to 69 11
70 to 79 8
80 to 89 5
90 to 99 2
100+ 1

Hey @msc you got time to comment you got time to Admin the goddamn DL Cup!!!

Miss Boudilicious another HIT.  She ‘should’ be in the lead but let Sleggs go final cut :unsure:

Anyway priorities, mate.  You can come back here and ridicule me only after updating Cup thread.

SC

Did you not read the scoring system beforehand? I’m pretty sure I only have a couple people in their 80s at most and the rest are younger. Try thinking of a better strategy next year. 

Yeah, last year I did well in the hit front with some old and easy pickings but in the overall score I was hopelessly behind. This pool punishes more for age than the Death By Numbers which punishes more for age than the DDP.

In this pool, a 20-29 year old person is worth 11 nonagenarians. (In DbN it's about 5 times, in the DDP just 2,4 times.)

More statistics: The birthday problem (check Wikipedia).

If you decide for an "old people strategy" you should REALLY know how to pick them. I would think that the chance of a daily double is about the same as the "birthday problem", i.e. how many people need to be in a room so that the chance of a matching birthday between two of them starts to exceed 50%?

The answer is 23.

Replace birthday with date of death and you need 23 hits to have at least 50% chance of getting a daily double.

A daily double is worth 10pts. So with a probability of 50% it's a statistical bonus of 5pts.

That's nothing in this game. You're far better of getting a few riskier but younger picks.

• Like 1

As with every deadpool, it's a learning curve to familiarize yourself with the particulars.  Witness my spectacular 46th place finish my first year playing it (out of 59 teams).  Thought I knew what I was doing but was mostly clueless.  Different scenario year two, but still not a  top ten finish.  The focus on younger picks is part of the strategy, but not all of it (at least not for me).  And a little luck never hurts, with Daily Doubles, birthday hits and bonus points for people who die during the last week of the calendar year.