msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

That’s the thing though. If it’s not officialized there won’t be any points handed out for her. So, it’d be really annoying regardless

What constitutes an 'officialized' obituary for alt obituaries dead pool?

A celebrity on my list died, I submitted a URL of a news obituary but it didn't have a death date so it wasn't acknowledged, and i remain uncredited.

Now Wikipedia has updated with a DoD, and a newspaper has an obit with a DoD. I've been snapped at by the admin in the past for using Wikipedia and, oddly, alt.obituaries sources like film historian James Neibaur (death was a hoax, but neither Neibaur nor I was aware of that at the time) for death citations: where else would one find an acceptable obituary with date of death if not an online newspaper obituary sectionor Wikipedia?

I'm not certain about precedent for this.  Strictly speaking, there is nothing in the rules that I can see.  Deaths have occurred with a disputed date of when it took place, but I've not come across anything about a specific date not being provided being the causal factor for a denial of points.  One only needs a qualifying obituary and a guarantee the death didn't occur in a previous year (as would've been the case if anyone had Beth Howland, given her circumstances). Understandable if no bonus points were to be awarded. 

Only one hit in November...

• Like 1

On 24/11/2019 at 07:18, drol said:

Only one hit in November...

Now it’s two, although I didn’t have him...

Clive James is a hit for 17 people, including me.  Other top ten players who had him are Gerard Tierney and Deceased Hose. The only change in the top ten, standings-wise, is Deceased Hose breaking a tie for 10th. 

I dropped Stuart Fraser from my list. However, if no date of birth or age ever shows up, it might not matter anyways...

Mr. Admin gets 34 points off 2 90 year olds

image.png.f05874df02c320309561a0315946e49e.png

I'd say Kirshner's lead over me and Joey is about 2 hits or 1 hit that falls btwn Dec 25-31. Due to bonuses I still think anyone from 11 on up with a Beastmode Dec still has a punchers chance even if it looks like a repeat winner is in the cards

21 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I dropped Stuart Fraser from my list. However, if no date of birth or age ever shows up, it might not matter anyways...

Same here.  Seems like longer ago, but it was 2018.  Presumably someone still has him because he's not been added to the 'Strikeouts' list.  Meanwhile, I also miss with Shelley Morrison, who I had in 2010.

For those who haven’t played alt obits before, the submission period is now open. 

I should probably link the rule page, so here it is: http://www.aodeadpool.org/rules.html 

Also, make sure you alphabetize your list to something like this (although with whatever names you decide to play)

1. Carter, Jimmy - US president 

2. Douglas, Kirk - Hollywood actor

3. Lynn, Vera - Wartime singer

4. Philip, Prince - Duke of Edinburgh 

5. Trebek, Alex - Jeopardy Host

Should be something like that

Oh, and don’t be surprised if some of your picks are rejected. This happens to a lot of us, especially if you are the more competitive player. 

• Like 1

Just sent my list.  I'm virtually certain several of my picks will be rejected and replaced so I don't really mind sending early.  Good luck!

• Like 1

What happens when several players share the youngest hit, say...cough...6ix9ine?

They all getthe bonus, or it's split, or none gets it?

Everyone gets it. No split is there.

• Like 1

Ah nice, anyone placed above me has him, too?

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ah nice, anyone placed above me has him, too?

Chorizo publicly revealed his team, and 6ix9ine is on there. So... 

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Chorizo publicly revealed his team, and 6ix9ine is on there. So... 

Aah, okay, so I must hope that my final very likely death (apart from 6ix9ine) happens in the final week of the year. 

My 2020 list is in. I play for money against a pal per hit so I doubt I will rise above 22nd place.

So, after all the wondering about Leah’s point, it has finally arrived. And yes, I was one of the many who picked her this time, although I don’t think she was in my original 40...

• Like 1

My team for 2020 is in! Good luck to everyone else.

Unlike last years massacre, this time I only needed to make 4 replacements, the names of which I'll reveal once the new year has arrived.

It would have been 3, but I chanced my arm at a really low quality pick just in case it was accepted. It wasn't! :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, msc said:

My team for 2020 is in! Good luck to everyone else.

Unlike last years massacre, this time I only needed to make 4 replacements, the names of which I'll reveal once the new year has arrived.

It would have been 3, but I chanced my arm at a really low quality pick just in case it was accepted. It wasn't! :D

4 for me too. Plus, a pick I thought was very low quality was accepted.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, drol said:

4 for me too. Plus, a pick I thought was very low quality was accepted.

Three of my picks (Brandon Sorensen, Jay Allen and Cullan Brown)  were rejected and I had to replace them

Can’t say I’m doing as well at the moment. 12 rejected names in round 1. Fun times...