msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

First time in 1st, hopefully can stick around. Also considered Voners for Cup this month, but didn't expect an English QO, seems I was right in assuming so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banana said:

First time in 1st, hopefully can stick around. Also considered Voners for Cup this month, but didn't expect an English QO, seems I was right in assuming so.

Ah, but it isn’t just English that counts.

Also Le Monde, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Die Zeit, El Pais and El Mundo”

So far looks like he hasn’t reached any of those sources, but if he does get there, you might want to rue your luck...

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, but it isn’t just English that counts.

Also Le Monde, Le Figaro, Der Spiegel, Die Zeit, El Pais and El Mundo”

So far looks like he hasn’t reached any of those sources, but if he does get there, you might want to rue your luck...

De Telegraaf would've been nice, alas

• Like 1

Congrats on the three folk who picked Nobuhiko Obayashi. I had him on my team in 2018, but dropped him in 2019 and didn’t bother to bring him back in 2020, so I believe that’s my first miss for 2020. And I suspect that it probably won’t be the last...

Peter Bonetti gives me some needed solo points (mail received, not yet on site).

• Like 1

Anyone else picked Johnny Harris? I submitted that Herald Scotland obit now, a solo hit would put me at 88pts, tied for 4th.

Still no daily double, sadly. Oh why didn't I pick Stirling Moss together with Peter Bonetti? That would be the lead now.

27 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Anyone else picked Johnny Harris? I submitted that Herald Scotland obit now, a solo hit would put me at 88pts, tied for 4th.

Still no daily double, sadly. Oh why didn't I pick Stirling Moss together with Peter Bonetti? That would be the lead now.

Yes.

After what seems like a long dry spell for me, I get a hit with Michael Robinson, the footballer-turned-broadcaster.

• Like 1

Back to the top baby

I've been all over the place with the pool the last few days. Aside from the Michael Sullivan hit, Jill Gascoine has been on my long list for years and came close to making it, but never did. Irrfan Khan was a strikeout. Had him last year and dropped him. However, I do get a hit with Sam Lloyd (here and in the DDP).

The remission news for Lloyd really threw me off. Now with miss after miss, I’m not even sure I’m in the top 10 any more...

• Like 1

The Sam Lloyd pick was a big gamble for me, but I got it, albeit sadly. Also got Jill Gascoine. I had Denis Goldberg on my list last year but cut him this year because I couldn't find anything new on him (although I did have him on my shadow list here, hmmm)

Jill Gascoine, Denis Goldberg AND Michael Robinson were all on previous AO teams of mine but not this year.

200.gif

7 hours ago, msc said:

Jill Gascoine, Denis Goldberg AND Michael Robinson were all on previous AO teams of mine but not this year.

200.gif

None of them really got close to my team tbh...

So far, Obayashi is the only miss for me this year 

While I don’t really take issue with any of the names that ended up being rejected this year, I will say it is a tad bit annoying that 8/15 rejected names for me has died thus far whereas only 7/40 names on my actual list became hits. (Although for Frierson, Genson, and Sutherland, not sure any of the obits would’ve counted for them anyways, the first two only seeming to stay as local news, the latter has his death articles read as FFBI for the most part).

After only one scorer since the end of of January I finally have another hit in this pool. I had Willie K on me. He also was a last minute carry over from 2019, making him the second successful replacement pick this year...

18 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

After only one scorer since the end of of January I finally have another hit in this pool. I had Willie K on me. He also was a last minute carry over from 2019, making him the second successful replacement pick this year...

Willie K was a strikeout for me. Had him last year and dropped him. I don't imagine too many others picked him, but I also don't know if he was a solo. Regardless, congrats.

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Willie K was a strikeout for me. Had him last year and dropped him. I don't imagine too many others picked him, but I also don't know if he was a solo. Regardless, congrats.

Turns out he was a solo. Thanks to everyone who removed him from your lists. Hehe...

Well done Joey.

I kind of assumed he would be relegated to local celebrity status. He never seriously crossed my mind in Alt Obits. (but was at least in orbit for the DDP)

Thanks. He was among those in my “hope they get in” strategy. Only while many ended up rejected this one was successfully let in. 
Also, that other Hawaiian musician from a few years back (Jimmy Borges I think) also was a hit, and pretty sure he is less famous than Willie K was. So that was certainly a benchmark for him getting in...

A rare solo for me with Gigi Simoni's death.

Trio hit for Mr. Tierney, Cpt Chorizo and me with Jerry Sloan.

Can we just say how odd this batch of hits are from Gerard Tierney: 

Sultan Qaboos of Oman, John Andretti, Asa Branca, Henry Gray, Henri RichardRonan O'Rahilly, Michael Robinson, Jerry Sloan

Not necessarily the most typical batch of hits, especially since he’s missing folk like Doleman and P-Orridge...

On 22/05/2020 at 16:07, Joey Russ said:

Can we just say how odd this batch of hits are from Gerard Tierney: 

Sultan Qaboos of Oman, John Andretti, Asa Branca, Henry Gray, Henri RichardRonan O'Rahilly, Michael Robinson, Jerry Sloan

Not necessarily the most typical batch of hits, especially since he’s missing folk like Doleman and P-Orridge...

What you mean to say death is random? *shock*

That wasn’t what I was implying at all, just noticeable certain names that most people picked aren’t there...