msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

An end-of-the-month hit for me. I had Michel Gauthier in the Deadpool. Awaiting confirmation of the scoring. At least one other person had him that I know of.

Claude Heater is the first time I've gotten a solo hit in this pool since 2016. Picked him entirely off watching Ben-Hur last year and looking up who from it was still alive.

Gerard Tierney got a solo with Ian Taylor. It’s really is an odd combo of hits he has, but hey, if he wins with that lineup that’s all that matters.

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Gerard Tierney got a solo with Ian Taylor. It’s really is an odd combo of hits he has, but hey, if he wins with that lineup that’s all that matters.

Wasn't he supposed to be in remission?

EDIT: nvm I see he died of pneumonia. I put this one in the Tom Long & Sam Lloyd basket.

7 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The carousel keeps turning...

Spanish actress Rosa Maria Sarda is a hit for me:

https://elpais.com/cultura/2020-06-11/muere-la-actriz-rosa-maria-sarda-a-los-78-anos.html

I could use a daily double... she was one of my best differential picks.

Not enough of a differential though. Turns out it’s a duo with Banana and you. 
In other news, Alt Obits is already at 100 hits this year...

I think I only have potential for 4 more bonus point picks now

Since no one's mentioned it yet, the current holder of the youngest hit is Lurker(numbers) with Droukdel, which is also his only hit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banana said:

Since no one's mentioned it yet, the current holder of the youngest hit is Lurker(numbers) with Droukdel, which is also his only hit.

At age 50, it may be a long shot for him to remain as such throughout the second half of the year. But, for now, it takes away any year-end advantage for the top players.

And Droukdel won’t be the youngest hit of the year. I had Marian Cisovsky on me. He was another replacement pick after so many names rejected, so it’ll be interesting times ahead...

EDIT: It’s a duet with WEP

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Firstly, congratulations to Joey and WEP for Marian Cisovsky. It's a name I've had on long lists but never seriously considered.

It's rare for me to play a hunch. Mostly I stick with the terminally ill and the occasional terrorist or stool-pigeon rapper. But I did play one this year. I had Benny Mardones in the Deadpool. He was sick (Parkinson's) but not acutely ill, at least not at the start of 2020.  However, since he'd spent time in hospital in 2019, I just felt this would be his year. I suppose the proper way to phrase it is that I believed he'd be going 'Into the Night'.

He's a solo, 13 points (8+5). Still much ground to make up, though.

• Thanks 1

I lost an easy hit with Hermes Binner, who was a late-year drop.

So far none of my picks who I dropped this year have died, but in last year’s competition dropping Jose Jose and Clive James was pretty annoying (I also dropped Stuart Fraser but he didn’t score last year, so not quite as annoying). Though even if both of them came back I still would’ve ended up 3 points short of the title anyways...

17 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Firstly, congratulations to Joey and WEP for Marian Cisovsky. It's a name I've had on long lists but never seriously considered.

It's rare for me to play a hunch. Mostly I stick with the terminally and the occasional terrorist or stool-pigeon rapper. But I did play one this year. I had Benny Mardones in the Deadpool. He was sick (Parkinson's) but not acutely ill, at least not at the start of 2020.  However, since he'd spent time in hospital in 2019, I just felt this would be his year. I suppose the proper way to phrase it is that I believed he'd be going 'Into the Night'.

He's a solo, 13 points (8+5). Still much ground to make up, though.

Mardones very nearly made my team in sub replacements

• Like 1

Things seem to be speeding up slightly again. I had Judy Dyble on me. Only 8 points, but a fascinating 8 pointer at that. Like Willie K and Marian Cisovsky before that, so the times will be interesting up ahead...

EDIT: A hit for 5 people, including the infamous Gerard Tierney...

Been a bit of a quiet month competitively, but that isn’t the case much longer. Alauddin Ali is a hit for me. He’s another replacement pick, which is doing far better than the replacement names last year...

So Ali turned out to be a duet with Banana. 
I think this is probably my best chance of winning a dead pool this year. There’s still multiple folk on my team that I’m surprised that they are still alive, but then some of those folk I think is also on Banana’s team, which reduces my chance of getting into the lead. In general, the names that I don’t think Banana have are much more iffy than the names I do believe I share with Banana. And there’s a few differentials that I’m sure he have that could certainly expand his lead against me. 
I think Cisovsky being the youngest hit is probably among the most crucial in helping my chances of winning. Folk like Kieran O’Connor could’ve helped my chances of winning, but ah well, that’s the luck of rejected names...

And things look to be speeding up. I had Dale Hawerchuk. Unlike the past few hits he was a member of my original 40. No chance of a solo though as at least Cancerous Hatred picked him in this pool. Maybe I can get a duet or trio though. 

EDIT: it’s a trio. The first time I got a trifecta of solo, duet, and trio in one year too. 

Continuing the quick pace of hits, I unsurprisingly had Frankie Banali. Needless to say, I don’t think he will be providing bonus points for anyone unless someone gets a Daily Double...

Wow, I'm still alive in the AO Deadpool, so to speak. Among those who had Frankie Banali. Didn't think Dale Hawerchuk would go that quick and this was an 'off-year' for me for Kamala. Had him, dropped him, re-added him and dropped him after last year.

It's a bit creepy to be the only person in the top fifteen with a one-digit number of hits.

:unsure::(

Thought this would be a decent resource for the future. Went through this thread for a list of rejected picks from last year and compiled them all in one place. Every year I'll update it and (potentially) send the list to Hulka (if changes ever do happen) for changes. Feel free to add in more rejected picks that you're willing to reveal.

Asmussen, Don (comic artist)

Aucoin, Derek (baseball player & commentator)

Barkan, Ady (healthcare activist)

Bayh, Susan (First Lady of Indiana)

Bilton, Tim (TV chef)

Bovio, Marcela (metal singer, MaYaN)

Ducklo, TJ (press secretary for Joe Biden's Presidential Campaign)

Fiano Julian (reality TV "star", First Dates)

Funago, Yasuhiko (Japanese politician)

Holley, Levi (actor & competitive arm wrestler)

Holmlund, Anna (Olympic skier)

James, Deborah (BBC & The Sun journalist)

Marshall, Jeremy (CEO of C. Hoare & Co.)

MacPhail, Catherine (author)

Mentel, Bibian (decorated Paralympian)

Miller, Mike (President of the Maryland Senate)

Noble, Lee (boxer)

Nordland, Rod (NYT journalist, Pulitzer co-winner)

Parker, Kerri (Playboy model)

Sorenson, Brandon (American college wrestler)

Sultana, Sabrina (sportshooter)

Sykes, Belinda (folk singer)

Zoll, Rachel (religion writer, AP)

Picks that have died or are no longer viable (i.e. cured, healed, etc.) will be taken off as this is more-so gonna be used as a resource rather a time capsule.

Left off: Mark Allen, Memo del Bosque, Lloyd Klein, Anne Graham Lotz, & David Stypka due to this ruling.

Good idea, although Schjeldahl was accepted this year.

Also rejected and alive from my various lists

Anne Graham Lotz - evangelist and Billy Graham's daughter

Julian Fiano - First Dates contestant

Deborah James - BBC and Sun journo

Lloyd Klein - Fashion designer

Cathy MacPhail - Scottish author

Anna Holmlund - Winter Olympian

Geoff Fox - Weatherman

I think Klein and Fox are better, Holmlund is a long term case, MacPhail/James/Lotz still ill iirc...

If you aren’t including folk who were rejected but recovered, then Mark Allen should be removed from that list. Also Bilton was rejected, and although he’s stable at the moment he hasn’t really recovered (and never will now that we know what his immunotherapy is)

Pretty evident how shit of a job I did eh?