msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

2 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

Insane start to deadpools. I had Westphal and Little, but not McKevitt.  The AO Deadpool is up-to-date on the three hits.

Dont worry, Allen, at this current rate I'll run out of AO Deadpool picks by end of January... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may have taken the lead with Jan Blommaert

@Banana, am I to understand it's the 7th of January and you already have 4 hits?

That is AMAZING!!!  Congrats!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mischief Girl said:

@Banana, am I to understand it's the 7th of January and you already have 4 hits?

That is AMAZING!!!  Congrats!

To me even more specific: @Banana has EVERY current hit on his list!

Impressive.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2020 at 11:34, Banana said:

Rejected:

Derek Aucoin, Ady Barkan, Tom Belsø, Steve Blackmore, Memo del Bosque, David Hagen, Bibian Mentel, Mike Miller, David Stypka, Deane Sutherland

David Stypka dead

On 01/01/2021 at 09:07, msc said:

Mughal, Tahir (Pakistani cricketer)

Tahir Mughal dead

1 hour ago, Banana said:

Tahir Mughal dead

Quite frankly, a jammy jammy pick, but as he died a day ago and has only got a Stoke Sentinel and Cricket World obit, he may actually be that rare thing - an AO Deadpool non-QO hit.

It looks as if the quick start in Alt Obits has continued. I had Sylvain Sylvain, who was a carry over from my 2020 team. Won’t be a solo though

Hmm, Facebook isn't embedding on forum?

Anyhow, congrates to Joey who has just been announced as winner of the 2020 Alt Obits pool.

• Thanks 1

An excellent showing all round from the representatives of the DL Forum.  I am more than content to scrape into the top 20.

• Like 2

I wasn't sure how I would feel when the time eventually came where I won a major dead pool, but this really means a lot to me. The fact that my first legitimate dead pool win comes from a pool so high up on the totem pool of great pools makes it feel even more rewarding. So much better than the time I won a pool by a super randomized list which ended very quickly.

Winning a major dead pool was definitely something 15 year old me wanted to achieve, but if you told me that I would actually win a pool before I turned 20, I probably wouldn't have believed you. But here we are today, finally having years of work finally pay off into this win. 

This year was definitely a roller coaster ride in terms of how my Alt Obits team went. I started really strong with 6 hits by the end of January (including a daily double), but then really slowed down in the next few months after that. In fact, I was actually all the way down in 10th in mid May, and I thought that I would be heading for a super poor performance then. It wasn't until Marian Cisovsky that I thought I would get out of an embarrassing performance, and it wasn't until Dale Hawerchuk that I thought I even stood a chance of winning. And even then, a win never felt super secure the following months after. Indeed, had someone younger than Cisovsky ended up dying, I would've lost. 

No doubt the deaths of Patricio Frez, Tracey Smothers, Tabare Vazquez, and Ged Stokes made me super nervous in those final months. But in the end, I just had enough to win this pool. And I'm pretty satisfied with it. 

I definitely give my commiserations to drol, who would've ended up winning had someone younger than Cisovsky died. You definitely have a bright future ahead in dead pooling, and I'm sure one day you will win in Alt Obits. 

As for me, well, I'm just hoping for a solid follow up to this win. It has already been a quick start for me with 3 hits so far, but I feel I may struggle to keep up with some of the more researched teams this time. But hey, if I lose this time, it happens. 

Anyway, thanks to all of the amazing competitors in this pool, especially those on forum. We really did kick it out of the park this time. I am also grateful for the lives of those picks of mine who ended up dying in 2020. I'm sure most of them were great people. Except for Roger Scruton. He was a cunt. And of course, I am very grateful for Hulka running this pool every year, and him dealing with all of our lists each year. 

One last thing I'll say. The replacement picks of yours is just as important as your original 40. In 2019, I had a whopping 22 rejected picks, but only three of my replacement picks actually scored. Whereas this time I had 15 rejected picks, but 7/12 replacement names scored for me. 

Anyway, good luck to everyone in this years pool. :) 

• Like 6

Congratulations Joey!

Well earned!

• Thanks 1

congrats Joey

Brilliantly played,could see that point total being hard to top by anyone for a long time

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Joey, really well played!

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Joey!

• Thanks 1

Congrats, Joey!

• Thanks 1

Congrats to Joey!

Also, what's the name of the Facebook page, so I can lurk there, too? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

congrats Joey

Brilliantly played,could see that point total being hard to top by anyone for a long time

That actually isn’t the highest points total ever, as both Gerard Tierney in 2016 and Cancerous Hatred in 2017 got even higher scores than the one I ultimately got. 

2 hours ago, Mischief Girl said:

Congrats to Joey!

Also, what's the name of the Facebook page, so I can lurk there, too? 

Just search for AO Deadpool and your good to go. :) 

Thanks, Joey! I've asked to join the group.

Congrats @Joey Russ

• Thanks 1

It's been awhile since I managed to make a splash. That appears to have changed today. I had Luton Shelton in the AO Deadpool.  Also had him in the DDP.  I sent the Mirror obit in for acceptance.

Edit: Official and a duet. Gerard Tierney and me.

So one major downside of researching in multiple languages is not reading articles correctly.

So I have Roland Magdane on my team because of this article but after re-reading it I found out it's about his manager who died a month later. Oops.

Nearly happened with another pick of mine but I found and corrected it in time.