msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

I've achieved an Alt Obit rarity. A List of the Lost-er. The game runner allowed Tahir Mughal who died with nowt but Cricket World noting his death.

• Like 2

Been a bit slow competitively in dead pooling in general, but hopefully things get back in the swing of things soon. Josh Evans might be the start of things to come, who I had on my Alt Obits team. Looks to be a trio at best though given two public teams have him

• Like 1

On 04/02/2021 at 16:17, msc said:

I've achieved an Alt Obit rarity. A List of the Lost-er. The game runner allowed Tahir Mughal who died with nowt but Cricket World noting his death.

It does happen, though it's hard to gauge how often, as there is no equivalent list that gets published. For what it's worth, you do have the rest of the year to submit a proper obit. If I ever come across one, I will post it. Have been where you are with past picks Barry Blaikie (2012) and Dennis Stamp (2017).

• Like 1

I didn’t participate in this DP., and won’t.  Shame on you for stroking the ego of a megalomaniac who says a Grammy winner isn’t a celebrity.  That’s the very definition.  
SC

On 04/02/2021 at 22:17, msc said:

Welcome to the club!

I have built up a small collection of these picks over the past few years: 

Latvian mathematician and chess player Elmārs Zemgalis (2014) - He received an obit written by his family.

Actress Anna Teluren (2018) - She did not even get an obit on major German news wires - The only one which came up after I infomed them was from a small tv station.

Former Sudanese Prime Minister Babiker Awadalla (2019) - He received Arabic obituaries from doubtful  source.

Some of my hits almost shared that fate, before an unexpected obit came up: 

Actress Hansi Knotek (2014) - Her death was publicly announced month after she died when an Austrian newspaper tried to interview her on occasion of her 100th birthday.

Painter Katherine Fryer (2017) - She lasted a few months long on the "list of theLost" before a minor obir came up.

The final risk, that an allowed pick does not receive a proper obit (in time) is for me also part of the game. Since some of my nominees are obscure choices, I got used to research several international sources - in some less known languages as well.
Following the nomination period (Who will be rejected?) and besiedes the normal expectation (Who will die?) I have always a third challenge: "Who will score?"

Crossing my fingers for you @msc that an obit will come up. It's February and you'll never know.

• Like 2

A number of us had Leon Spinks, but not everyone who made their choices public.  Will be interesting to see how the pool is affected.

1 minute ago, alt obits guy said:

A number of us had Leon Spinks, but not everyone who made their choices public.  Will be interesting to see how the pool is affected.

Yep I had him. With previously rejected Bayh and Spinks now going after Josh Evans, it seems like the gates are starting to open on the competitive side of things...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yep I had him. With previously rejected Bayh and Spinks now going after Josh Evans, it seems like the gates are starting to open on the competitive side of things...

He death date is being listed as February 5th, meaning Daily Double possibilities with anyone who had Christopher Plummer...but there were none as AO Deadpool has been updated.

I simply forgot about carrying over Spinks. My first real miss, I'd say. I keep the lead but Banana comes close again.

And the hits just seem to keep on coming. I had US representative Ron Wright on my team. Will be interesting to see who all also had him, although I don’t think he’ll be a solo.

Potential daily double points with Lewis and Wright 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

And the hits just seem to keep on coming. I had US representative Ron Wright on my team. Will be interesting to see who all also had him, although I don’t think he’ll be a solo.

I had Ron Wright, as did Cancerous Hatred and maybe others. I also had him last year.

Edit: Confirmed as a trio.

On 07/02/2021 at 02:24, gcreptile said:

I simply forgot about carrying over Spinks. My first real miss, I'd say. I keep the lead but Banana comes close again.

And he takes the lead! I wish Hulka had the tentative points for youngest hit listed in the standings as well, only a couple ahead of mr ao himself. 

• Thanks 1

Man, when will the hits stop? I had Dai Davies, but I’m sure a lot of us had him, so no bonus points here

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Man, when will the hits stop? I had Dai Davies, but I’m sure a lot of us had him, so no bonus points here

Well about mid-March Banana will run out of team members after 40 hits and then the rest of us are relying on bonuses...

• Like 1

Karen Lewis is named Karen Little in the hits by player section... ;)

Just now, Book said:

Karen Lewis is named Karen Little in the hits by player section... ;)

Didn’t you forget? You actually had Floyd Lewis as your first hit of the year rather than Floyd Little. :P 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Didn’t you forget? You actually had Floyd Lewis as your first hit of the year rather than Floyd Little. :P 

Ah, that's it! :lol:

Today is one of those prime candidates for another daily double. Early day death with Dai Davies, one of those we already knew would be a hit, but will there be anyone else? This is the time for your Pakistani singers and Croatian foreign secretaries.

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

This is the time for your Pakistani singers and Croatian foreign secretaries.

Sorry, we really need a German hit!!! :bat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Book said:

Sorry, we really need a German hit!!! :bat:

Well, maybe it's a daily pancreatic cancer double.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, I would take that one :lol:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Is it allowed to indicate preferences?

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Today is one of those prime candidates for another daily double. Early day death with Dai Davies, one of those we already knew would be a hit, but will there be anyone else? This is the time for your Pakistani singers and Croatian foreign secretaries.

The most like candidate, though, might be an American radio talk show host.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rush-limbaugh-fight-lung-cancer-staffers-pray-remission

(In case it hasn't been posted elsewhere.)

On 08/11/2020 at 15:38, alt obits guy said:

It's not, but it may be second. Patrick Swayze had 41 hits. Not sure if that's the most, but quite possibly. 

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.obituaries/c/dGDM1T-IUU4

Well, Rush Limbaugh beat Swayze as he got 43 hits. However, he was still a few hits below what Etta James got...

• Like 1