msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

Once official, Jana Bennett is my first hit and Rabbi Israel Dresner is my second.

• Like 2

I dropped Jana Bennett this year. Not intentionally, it happened accidentally and I only noticed yesterday. D'oh!

• Like 1

Congratulations to Banana, who is the official winner of the 2021 AO Deadpool.

• Like 3

I always wonder if there's an official announcement in this. But yeah, congratulations Banana! You did what I wanted to do in this pool but can't find the time with the DDP and such.

Lots of effort, great success, well done.

• Like 2

An amazing result, Banana! Congratulations!

• Like 2

Congrats @Banana

• Like 2

Russell Bishop is my third hit. I suspect he was picked by a number of teams.

• Like 1

After sitting on the sidelines for about a month and watching others reap the benefits of their picks, I'm back in the game. I had Jim Hagedorn. He's a trios hit.

• Like 1

Already a highly competitive year and we're barely into March. Jean-Pierre Pernaut wasn't just a name I landed on for the Deathlist Cup, I also had him in the Alt Obituaries Deadpool. I see at least one other person had him and I suspect others may have, as well.

Edit: Pernaut is a duet.

• Like 1

Not official yet, as I submitted a foreign language obituary (from Yahoo!) that may, or may not, be acceptable. However, I had Budi Tek. Have played him since 2019. Survived six years with end-stage pancreatic cancer.

Edit: The Yahoo! obit was a no-go. CNN published one March 21st that has now been submitted.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2022 at 18:58, alt obits guy said:

Not official yet, as I submitted a foreign language obituary (from Yahoo!) that may, or may not, be acceptable. However, I had Budi Tek. Have played him since 2019. Survived six years with end-stage pancreatic cancer.

Edit: The Yahoo! obit was a no-go. CNN published one March 21st that has now been submitted.

Yeah, so I wasn’t the only one to sneak Tek on since 2019. Bugger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tom Parker is a hit for me and many others. Shakes up the 'youngest hit' competition.

However, that's not who I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about Joyce Fairbairn. I have had this lady in the AO Deadpool since 2016, years before her name was ever mentioned here or anywhere else in deadpooling. In my SEVENTH year of marking her moniker down, she has passed. What has been spoken about her in these pages, I have known for years. Retired as a Senator in August 2012, months after some had become aware of her diagnosis. Her staff first noticed signs as far back as 2009. Terry Pratchett & she, the first couple of dementia. Kudos to Joyce Fairbairn for surviving as long as she did.

Parker is worth 20 points for me, Fairbairn (who was a solo) is worth 10.

• Like 1

I picked both Art Rupe and Liz Sheridan, so I believe this is my first ever Daily Double?

Sheridan a substitute too for a jumped-the-gun death, and I made a mental note weeks before to pick the Seinfeld moms somewhere but forgot until then. So this gave me room for one and tbf it would've gotten me points either way.

• Like 3

Meh, I thought I had Guy LaFleur... 

I did mail them about Mosharraf "Rubel" Hossain and got an immediate Email confirmation. The score update is strangely delayed though. I think the altobits team is currently privately busy.

Also, what do I think about my team right now? Well, I think I'll be leading the scoreboard end of next month, BUT, not picking Tom Parker has to be one of the dumbest decisions ever. The youngest hit bonus will kill my team.

• Like 2

Okay, I'll be leading the scoreboard once Mosharraf Hossain is scored, now that I also have unique (?) hit Jan Rot whose death I was expecting for a few days:

https://www.ad.nl/show/zanger-jan-rot-op-64-jarige-leeftijd-overleden~a83095c5/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.de%2F

Shame, could have been a daily double with Guy LaFleur.

Still, the youngest hit bonus means I need 2-3 more hits than all those who picked Tom Parker. I'm not sure my team has the potential. It's good, but probably not that good.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Okay, I'll be leading the scoreboard once Mosharraf Hossain is scored, now that I also have unique (?) hit Jan Rot whose death I was expecting for a few days:

https://www.ad.nl/show/zanger-jan-rot-op-64-jarige-leeftijd-overleden~a83095c5/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.de%2F

Shame, could have been a daily double with Guy LaFleur.

Still, the youngest hit bonus means I need 2-3 more hits than all those who picked Tom Parker. I'm not sure my team has the potential. It's good, but probably not that good.

I was thinking the same thing about Lafleur. Think he was one of the last few cuts to my team. 

• Like 1

Every now and then I get to shake the pool up a little. I had Marnie Schulenburg. She is a solo and, thus, a 25 point hit. (20+5)

• Like 1

Seems like original alt obits host Amelia has died. Definitely an end of an era for some people

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Seems like original alt obits host Amelia has died. Definitely an end of an era for some people

I submitted my first team for 2013, which ended up her last year running it. I mainly remember she really liked my Louis Zamperini pick. RIP.

• Like 5

Legit surprised Fritz Pleitgen is an extremely solo for me in this game.

• Like 3

On 14/09/2022 at 06:28, Joey Russ said:

Really sad to read that.   I corresponded with her lots a few years ago about various stuff and I know she'd been unwell for a long time.   She used to proof read and edit my amateur attempts at writing obits until they looked halfway alright.  

Bless her, that's a terrible loss for deadpooling. :(

Edit - one of my favourite obits; Amelia hurling abuse at me for picking a boring ex president of Lithuania.  A bit further up the page is my attempt to do justice to the Duke of Hamilton. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, msc said:

Legit surprised Fritz Pleitgen is an extremely solo for me in this game.

I deleted him from my list in the last moment, since he managed to survive that long.

I really regret that as well as all Toms (Yes, Weiskopf, Smith AND Parker).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Edit - one of my favourite obits; Amelia hurling abuse at me for picking a boring ex president of Lithuania.  A bit further up the page is my attempt to do justice to the Duke of Hamilton. 

I'm now reminded of your prestigious sendoff for Ruby Muhammad, which I always got a kick out of ^_^

• Like 3
  • Haha 1