msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

I'm enjoying reading the archived obits.  The Ruby Muhammad one is a classic.  Now I need to find out what the hell a bean pie is.

I'm very rarely around this site, and I'm absolute shit at the game, but I sure do enjoy it.

My co-workers think I'm unbelievably morbid participating in and tracking the Deadpool, but honestly, Death comes for us all in the end.  Why not have some fun with it along the way?

• Like 7

On 01/01/2022 at 22:07, gcreptile said:

^^ lol, wow, you got Spiriman through? I guess Hulka just gave up at some point.

On 01/01/2022 at 22:29, Banana said:

Yea I had him last year too. I was pretty surprised that him and Miroslava Duma were accepted but not Ludmila Ferber.

On 01/01/2022 at 22:33, gcreptile said:

Interesting, seems Hulka emphasizes social media fame surprisingly much.

The Spanish doctor Jesús Candel, known as Spiriman, has died at the age of 46 after his battle against lung cancer:
https://www.elperiodico.com/es/sociedad/20221014/muere-spiriman-jesus-candel-medico-77235009

• Like 3

The death of Veli Seppa should bring me to 263 which becomes the 4th highest total in AO history (behind Gerard Tierney '16, Cancerous Hatred '17 & Accthorp '06). If Tom Parker holds as the youngest hit, the 25 pt bonus would take me to 298 which would only trail #1 all-time by 10 points. Looking at my remaining list, not looking likely, but possible.

• Like 3

Bernadette Meyer delivers a late Daily Double and probably secures 2nd place for me. It was all I could hope for, after stupidly not picking Tom Parker (and so giving away the "youngest hit" bonus").

I'm quite happy with the result though, actually, it's a personal best in all categories. I might have won in a different year, but obviously, Banana is in top form for this.

I think the winning margin might end up to be the two names Spiriman and Tom Parker. I already expressed my surprise at Spiriman getting through early in the year, but well, you only succeed if you try, and I guess I didn't try.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Has anyone already achieved the trifecta ? 

Don't think so? Banana, gcreptile, and msc could've done it last year had Floyd Little lived an extra day. Loki also came close in 2013, when Peter O'Toole died a day before Harold Camping and Joan Fontaine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Don't think so? Banana, gcreptile, and msc could've done it last year had Floyd Little lived an extra day. Loki also came close in 2013, when Peter O'Toole died a day before Harold Camping and Joan Fontaine.

thanks for these details, didn't know that O'Toole and Joan Fontaine died in the same week. A busy one it was. 

9 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Has anyone already achieved the trifecta ? 

No, it's never happened. I came close twice. In 2016, during the afternoon of March 2nd (Eastern Time) the deaths of both Martin Crowe & Sarah Tait came over the wire.  Given both died in Oceania, the official death date was March 3rd.  Joey Feek was in a coma by that time.  But she survived until the morning/early afternoon of March 4th. In 2018, I had Craig MacGregor and Liam Miller, who both died on February 9th. I then found out Marie Gruber had died February 8th.

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2022 at 18:28, Predictor said:
Decided to give this one a go. My main objective is to get as many 7-pointers as possible from an ancient group of people. Team name = Rotciderp (read backwards)

1. Ames, Ed (American singer and actor)
2. Ball, Vincent (British-Australian actor)
3. Birch, Patricia (American choreographer)
4. Brook, Peter (British director)
5. Burke Jr, Jack (American golfer)
6. Butler, Robert (American director)
7. Coates, Phyllis (American actress)
8. Collins, Cora Sue (American actress)
9. Cooper, Pat (American actor and comedian)
10. Craig, Michael (British actor)
11. Dooley, Paul (American actor)
12. Hoffman, Elizabeth (American actress)
13. Gallagher, Helen (American actress)
14. Greene, Shecky (American comedian)
15. Hayes, Bill (American actor and singer)
16. Hughes, Kathleen (American actress)
17. Janis, Conrad (American actor and jazz musician)
18. Jones, Dub (American NFL player)
19. Jones, L.Q. (American actor)
20. Knowlden, Marilyn (American actress)
21. Landgre, Inga (Swedish actress)
22. Legrand, Mirtha (Argentine actress)
23. Linn, Bambi (American dancer)
24. Miller, Mark (American actor)
25. Murayama, Tomiichi (Japanese former prime minister)
26. Nash, Noreen (American actress)
27. Page, Genevieve (French actress)
28. Patton, Virginia (American actress)
29. Pearlstein, Philip (American realism painter)
30. Pointer, Priscilla (American actress)
31. Raye, Carol (British-Australian actress)
32. Shane, Sara (American actress)
33. Shantz, Bobby (American baseball player)
34. Silva, Henry (American actor)
35. Silverstein, Elliot (American director)
36. Strougal, Lubomir (President of Czechoslovakia)
37. Taka, Miiko (American actress)
38. Turkel, Joe (American actor)
39. Wade, Abdoulaye (Senegalese former president)
40. White, Ted (American stuntman)

Rejected names:

Ryan, Eileen (American actress)
Stroock, Gloria (American actress)

Picking 95+ was risky because you never know which ones will give you bonuses. In the end, I am happy with 5 solos and 6 duos and no non-bonus hit. 25th place (so far) with 65 points is decent for what I set out to do. Although I feel kinda robbed because Eileen Ryan ended up getting obits from major newspapers. Both of my replacements are still alive...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Team just sent. 6 rejected. Am I allowed to tell which one ? 

It's entirely up to you. C'est ton/votre choix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alt obits guy said:

It's entirely up to you. C'est ton/votre choix.

Do I look THAT french ? :D 

the rejected were Eugenia Cooney, french hip hop artist Pone (they were both last year but I assumed maybe they would be accepted today), Baroness Jane Campbell, Nathalie Kwadrans, Kerri Parker and Chris Stone. Glad I could put some if my drops in eventually ! 

• Haha 1

Team submitted yesterday. Seven rejected picks. One further rejection among the seven proposed replacements. I will reveal the rejected picks January 1st, or shortly thereafter.

(Edit: a replacement also submitted due to the death of Pele.)

(Edit 2: a replacement also submitted due to the death of Don West.)

(Edit 3: a replacement also submitted due to the death of Benedict XVI)

(Edit 4: a replacement also submitted due to the death of Jeremiah Green,  who had been my replacement pick for Pele)

(Edit 5: a replacement also submitted to replace the rejected replacement due to the death of Jeremiah Green, who had been my replacement pick for Pele.... who swallowed a dog to catch the cat,  who swallowed a cat to catch the mouse, who swallowed a mouse to catch the fly. I don't know why she swallowed the fly...Perhaps she'll die... as long as she dies in 2023 and not 2022, so I don't need a sub for the old lady, too. :P)

Rehman Gaarder would’ve been a nice pick to have. Gonna ask Hulka whether she would’ve been acceptable. 

15 rejections, I'm pretty shocked. Some of them I totally disagree with. One of them, for example, is Jango Edwards.

I will be arguing with them.

• Like 1

And with the death of Don West I have officially reached the highest point total in AO history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banana said:

And with the death of Don West I have officially reached the highest point total in AO history.

Congratulations on the accomplishment! For context, this was the 18th year the pool has been run. It's been essentially the same format (40 picks) going back at least as far as 2008, and probably longer.

• Like 1

I think my 265 points are the 4th highest ever, lol.

Here are my rejects.... more than I expected... I just couldn't get them to accept Tim Lobinger. Some were doomed from the start though...

Tim Lobinger
Biagio Conte
Jan Bloukaas
Elin Kjos
Joe Doering
Natalie Fornassier
Jango Edwards
Chris Snow
Naonobu Fujii
Elena Huelva
Haris Ibrahim
Rocket Norton
EC Stilson
Mike Sertich
Jean-Luc Brouillon

In my 11th year of playing, I had my first ever rejection with character actor Bob Dishy. Given (alas) we've seen how more background actors often struggle to obit, might end up a blessing in disguise.

12 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

In my 11th year of playing, I had my first ever rejection with character actor Bob Dishy. Given (alas) we've seen how more background actors often struggle to obit, might end up a blessing in disguise.

He was great as Lawrence Weaver on Law & Order.

I am back for my 16th year. Here are all the rejected picks for me, for 2023:

Seven rejections from original list submission:

Natalie Fornasier

Tim Lobinger

Ryan Minor

Rocket Norton

Brian O'Donovan (the WGBH Boston radio personality, not the RTE reporter)

Christina Strutt (died December 28, 2022)

Catherine Wreford (re-submitted for consideration in 2023 because she won the Amazing Race Canada in 2022)

Rejection from the batch of seven substitutes:

Stephen Darby (English soccer player)

Rejection of the submitted substitute pick due to the death of Jeremiah Green (who'd been an accepted substitute pick after the death of Pele):

Phil Gordon (ex-Phoenix mayor)

3rd place despite the massive margin I trailed 1st and 2nd place teams is a losing Semifinalist who goes out 6-3- 6-0 6-1 in a Federer/Nadal Aughts Final Vibe

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Surprised he’d be rejected. He had a pretty major role in the 1980’s film version of Brighton Beach Memoirs.

My 3 rejections

1. Ryan Minor

2. Henry Dickerson

3. Jim Ward (voice actor)

Will post actual team when I remember where I put it...

• Like 1