msc

Alt Obituaries Deadpool

EDIT: Points given, good sense shown.

Surprisingly, Benjamin LaGuer was an acceptable pick as I had him in 2019. Not sure if anyone carried him into 2020, though.

9 hours ago, Banana said:

Surprisingly, Benjamin LaGuer was an acceptable pick as I had him in 2019. Not sure if anyone carried him into 2020, though.

He's on the strike-out list.

Very surprising that he got accepted. He got a Boston Globe obit, and it doesn't seem like there is a lot more coming.

59 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

He's on the strike-out list.

Very surprising that he got accepted. He got a Boston Globe obit, and it doesn't seem like there is a lot more coming.

3-time Paralympic gold medal-winner? No. 
Guy who may have raped old lady? Yes. 

idk either 

Is 39 the most picks off of a single hit? That surely has to be up there (and yes, I was among those who picked Alex Trebek in alt obits)

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Is 39 the most picks off of a single hit? That surely has to be up there (and yes, I was among those who picked Alex Trebek in alt obits)

It's not, but it may be second. Patrick Swayze had 41 hits. Not sure if that's the most, but quite possibly. 

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.obituaries/c/dGDM1T-IUU4

Howie Meeker's death today meant two people had Daily Doubles...with Alex Trebek. Seems a propos.

2 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

It's not, but it may be second. Patrick Swayze had 41 hits. Not sure if that's the most, but quite possibly. 

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.obituaries/c/dGDM1T-IUU4

I asked Hulka about it earlier today. Apparently the record is Etta James with a whopping 47 hits! :o 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I asked Hulka about it earlier today. Apparently the record is Etta James with a whopping 47 hits! :o 

"At last"...I find out Etta James had the most hits.  

And the hits seem to keep on coming. I had Doug Supernaw on my team, and once again I don’t expect any bonus points to happen with his death...

Kudos to Lafaucheuse and TomTomKeletom for getting the daily double with a serial killer and a star of a bad music genre. 

• Thanks 1

I'm really getting hammered down by all these picks that I probably should've had but didn't for various reasons (Supernaw's cancer was supposed to be under control and receding and I just assumed Sutcliffe was all rumors regardless of if he died from COVID)

Stokes another lucky unique, but i feel it is not enough.

Help may come from Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, currently in ICU.

Even though Drol leads currently due to Stokes if nothing else happens competitively and Cisovsky remains the youngest hit of the year, I would still win with a 24 point lead. This would remain true even if Drol’s pick score as well. However, I felt for a while I still need one last good differential to really secure my chances. And while I have options, time is running out for those hits to score as well...

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Even though Drol leads currently due to Stokes if nothing else happens competitively and Cisovsky remains the youngest hit of the year, I would still win with a 24 point lead. This would remain true even if Drol’s pick score as well. However, I felt for a while I still need one last good differential to really secure my chances. And while I have options, time is running out for those hits to score as well...

Yes, forgot it. 24 points is really much.

Just now, drol said:

Yes, forgot it. 24 points is really much.

I definitely wouldn’t give up on it, especially if someone younger ends up scoring. That’s still definitely possible

So Alt Obits entries has officially opened now. There were a few things in the email though that new players would not be able to see since they didn’t play before that I think are important, so I will post those things Hulka said in the email:

1. DEAD PEOPLE: Last year someone sent me a list with a pick on it who's been dead since two months after I was born, and I'm not young. Don't be that person (unless you are that person, in which case don't do it again). Before you send in a list, please make sure everyone on it is alive, as far as you can tell.

2. A FEW MORE WORDS ABOUT THE FAMOUS-FOR-CAUSE-OF-DEATH RULE (expanding on what's on the rules page): There are (for example) thousands of retired athletes who played a few games in the pros, thousands of former beauty-pageant winners, thousands of reality-TV people. The vast majority of them are not going to get news obits when they die. If the main thing that distinguishes your pick from the others of their ilk - what makes them more newsworthy - is that they have a terminal illness (or that they're relatively young and have a terminal illness), rather than whatever they did in their career before they got sick, then they're not famous for being a [pro athlete, beauty-pageant winner, reality-TV idiot, whatever]; they're famous for being a [whatever] with a terminal illness, and they don't work as a pick in this pool. I know you can do better.

3. LIST FORMATTING: Every year I cut more corners on reminding people about how to format their lists, and every year the lists are messier and more of a chore to deal with. So I'm done being chill about this. If you don't send me a correctly formatted list I'm going to make you do it again until it's correct. The list formatting instructions are on the rules page (http://www.aodeadpool.org/rules.html). 

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

3. LIST FORMATTING: Every year I cut more corners on reminding people about how to format their lists, and every year the lists are messier and more of a chore to deal with. So I'm done being chill about this. If you don't send me a correctly formatted list I'm going to make you do it again until it's correct. The list formatting instructions are on the rules page (http://www.aodeadpool.org/rules.html). 

Interesting - the burst of entries in the DDP by excel spreadsheet has dried up and so we're back to an almighty botch up of lots of different formats and extra information mainly in the body of an email.

Wonder what he will do with all the 31st entries - send them back so they can resubmit after the deadline? 

Usually I would say, submit a few days before.. yes, you might miss out on the one late addition, but that one hit matters less in the AO pool than in the DDP, because it's 40 names here, and 20 names there.

But then this year, the difference of the top 3 is basically within one name (bar bonus).

Knowing Aucoin was rejected definitely ease up my nerves a bit for Alt obits as had he been accepted he would’ve gotten 24/25 points depending on whether he was a trio or regular hit plus the 10 end of the year bonus points.

Alright, I’ve sent in my alt obits team for 2021. Only 6 rejections in the end. Could be I’m lagging a bit behind on research or that I didn’t throw in as many risky picks as I did in the past. 
Good luck everyone. :) 

My team is in, only 5 subs needed in the end.

1 minute ago, msc said:

My team is in, only 5 subs needed in the end.

I sent my team too. I was so distracted I forgot (at least) two obvious picks. Luckily 5 names were rejected so I could add them later. D'oh.