Sign in to follow this  
Joey Russ

The Joker's Dead Pool 2018

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 23:15, Joey Russ said:

Nope. Although I did forget to put obit requirements. It's the same as the DDP obit requirements.

Beautifully specified in last year's competition.

Good job msc. You are missing a couple of points though:

Morgan Tsvangirai gets two more points for being a leader. While Mugabe technically led the country for his entire dictatorship, Tsvangirai's four years as prime minister (despite not really doing anything for those four years) is good enough for me. 

When I did the bonus for Spade's team, it's for any past year, so since Rev Graham was on his 2014 team, those who picked him gets another point or two if they jokered him. 

Dean Francis did not make the drop 40, so there's three points that shouldn't be there for them.

And I forgot to give you the extra points for each particular spot. Let me work on these few errors and I'll give you the current total of points (there's a few other things that I could change, but I'll let those slide)...

• Thanks 1

Alright, so I fixed the errors above. I also discovered that Patricia Morison points weren't given out, so three teams gain an extra point plus one more for falling off the map. Toast also gets the daily double points plus Goodwin since msc missed that she also picked her. So, here's the current status of the scores: 

1st - Torva Messor - 40 points

2nd - drol - 36 points

3rd= - CaptainChorizo - 34 points

3rd= - The Dead Cow - 34 points

3rd= - Death Impends - 34 points

3rd= - Toast - 34 points

7th - msc - 33 points

8th - CastAway - 31 points

9th - Heef - 29 points

10th - Pedro67 - 27 points

11th - RadGuy - 25 points

12th - The Unknown Man - 22 points

13th= - Bibliogryphon - 20 points

13th= - Book - 20 points

13th= - FixedBusiness - 20 points

16th - Gooseberry Crumble - 16 points

17th - YoungWilz - 14 points

Last place - Joey Russ - 10 points

Let me know if you think I missed something, and I'll go check on it and potentially add more points to your score. Despite these changes, Torva Messor still leads...

• Like 3

Move yourself into 17th...

"Vanessa Goodwin. 1 point for Book, Chorizo, Dead Cow, Drol, Heef, msc, RadGuy and Torva"

I see that Toast (to) has correctly been awarded a point for Goodwin. I do not have Vanessa Goodwin on my list, so I (tv) gather my 40 points tally doesn't include her, and are for Dodd, Fabray, Ford, Francis, Graham, Hawking, Miller, Nevin and Tsvangirai and assorted bonuses.

Thanks for the updated tally and ranking!

5 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

"Vanessa Goodwin. 1 point for Book, Chorizo, Dead Cow, Drol, Heef, msc, RadGuy and Torva"

I see that Toast (to) has correctly been awarded a point for Goodwin. I do not have Vanessa Goodwin on my list, so I (tv) gather my 40 points tally doesn't include her, and are for Dodd, Fabray, Ford, Francis, Graham, Hawking, Miller, Nevin and Tsvangirai and assorted bonuses.

Thanks for the updated tally and ranking!

I had a look at your list again, and I can't seem to find her on it. Maybe I missed something. Not like you should be complaining too much though, you're currently in the lead...

EDIT: Oh, I misread your post. The one point is taken away now, but your still leading...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

I had a look at your list again, and I can't seem to find her on it. Maybe I missed something. Not like you should be complaining too much though, you're currently in the lead...

You and I both see that I do not have Vanessa Goodwin on my list. I do edit my list, but only to strikeout and bold the hits gained. msc's update had a typo, I suspect, as to and tv are consecutive abbreviations, both Torva and Toast begin with To.... I am pointing out that in msc's update I had been incorrectly awarded a point that should have gone to Toast for Vanessa Goodwin; your update correctly awarded the point to Toast, so I should not have in my tally a point I didn't merit.

iirc your points are OK, but the preamble clearly wasn't edited, sorry. And yes, mixed up To and Tv but caught it mid-calculation.

I also spent too long wondering why I couldn't find Gcreptile on the scoreboard till I twigged Gc was Gooseberry!

• Haha 1

Mid table obscurity! Whoop!

Thanks for the updates though. Crazy stuff.

Small update for Jens C Skou, who has finally received a late QO. One point for all the teams who picked him apart from our defending champ, who had him in spot #5 and therefore gets a second point, as he moves to share 2nd place with drol. 

Here are the current scores:

1st - Torva Messor - 40 points

2nd= - Death Impends - 36 points

2nd= - drol - 36 points

3rd= - CaptainChorizo - 34 points

3rd= - The Dead Cow - 34 points

3rd= - Toast - 34 points

7th - msc - 33 points

8th - CastAway - 32 points

9th - Heef - 29 points

10th - Pedro67 - 27 points

11th - RadGuy - 26 points

12th - The Unknown Man - 22 points

13th= - Bibliogryphon - 20 points

13th= - Book - 20 points

13th= - FixedBusiness - 20 points

16th - Gooseberry Crumble - 17 points

Also, this is a reminder that I'm retiring after this year, so if anyone wants to take over, tell me. I think the concept is great, but the execution while I'm host was poor...

• Like 1

Here's a brief update for Matt Cappotelli, in which a total of 13 out of the 18 teams thought he wasn't tough enough to last out this year. Only points for him is a regular point and a bonus point for those who put him on one of the secret spots, and these teams did find a spot in which they get an extra point: FixedBusiness, RadGuy, Pedro, Book, and Toast, with the last one in that list breaking the 4th= joint pack (error says 3rd= last time, my apologies) and gets to an exciting position as the deficit between her and the pair at 2nd= is only one point, but the others stuck at 5th= is also only one point from her. 

Here are the scores!

1st - Torva Messor - 41 points

2nd= - Death Impends - 37 points

2nd= - drol - 37 points

4th - Toast - 36 points

5th= - CaptainChorizo - 35 points

5th= - The Dead Cow - 35 points

7th - msc - 34 points

8th - CastAway - 32 points

9th - Heef - 30 points

10th - Pedro67 - 29 points

11th - RadGuy - 28 points

12th - The Unknown Man - 23 points

13th= - Book - 22 points

13th= - FixedBusiness - 22 points

15th - Bibliogryphon - 20 points

16th - Gooseberry Crumble - 17 points

Torva Messor leads at halftime, but will they still be leading in the end? Only time will tell...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me too.

• Like 1

Here's the update due for the deaths of Lord Peter Carrington and Clive King. Carrington was once again one of those people who only receive one point in total unless they hit one of the spots where an extra point was allowed. Those who did find the extra spot include me and Bibliogryphon, and as such, the changes on his front were minor apart from Death Impends breaking the joint 2nd lock with drol, and he could be on the way to winning his second title in this...

On the other hand, Clive King has more impact in this since he starts out with a base point and 3 unique points for being a DDP unique pick. Bibliogryphon gets a joker as well as finding a secret spot bringing him a whopping 10 points, while msc is now joint 2nd= with Death Impends due to his demise, but can one of them outscore Torva Messor in the end? We'll see...

Here are the scores!

1st - Torva Messor - 41 points

2nd= - Death Impends - 38 points

2nd= - msc - 38 points

4th= - drol - 37 points

4th= - Toast - 37 points

6th= - CaptainChorizo - 35 points

6th= - The Dead Cow - 35 points

8th= - Bibliogryphon - 32 points

8th= - CastAway - 32 points

10th= - Heef - 30 points

10th= - Pedro67 - 30 points

12th - RadGuy - 29 points

13th - The Unknown Man - 24 points

14th= - Book - 22 points

14th= - FixedBusiness - 22 points

16th - Gooseberry Crumble - 21 points

17th - YoungWilz - 15 points

Last place - Joey Russ - 12 points

Congrats to Bibliogryphon for jumping all the way from 15th place to 8th=. Definitely one of the highest place jumpers there...

• Like 3

12th strike for me. As a DJ might say of Aretha, "the hits just keep on coming."

Three hits for this next update, Charlotte Rae, Aretha Franklin, and Stefan Karl Stefansson. Rae is one that will only get the basic point unless they are in one of the secret spots, and these people did find a secret spot for her: Fixed Business, Unknown Man, msc (who gets double points for jokering her), Book, Death Impends, and The Dead Cow. Aretha Franklin also gets one basic point, but she gets an extra point for being on DQSBP lineup all the way back in 2011. Chorizo and RadGuy get an extra point for finding a secret spot for her. The last hit for today is Stefan Karl Stefansson, and he get's a hefty bunch points for everyone who picked him, 1 basic point, 3 points for making the drop 40, and 1 point for making DQSBP's lineup in 2017. Book, Torva, and CastAway gets an extra point for picking Stefansson in a secret number spot, and therefore there's a shakeup in the standing as a few of the contenders near the top of the leaderboard last time didn't pick him. Torva, however, still leads the pack. Will they be exclaiming that they are number 1 at the end of the year?

Here are the scores!

1st - Torva Messor - 50 points

2nd - msc - 47 points

3rd - CaptainChorizo - 43 points

4th - The Dead Cow - 42 points

5th - Death Impends - 40 points

6th= - CastAway - 38 points

6th= - drol - 38 points

6th= - RadGuy - 38 points

6th= - Toast - 38 points

10th= - Bibliogryphon - 37 points

10th= - Pedro67 - 37 points

12th - Heef - 35 points

13th - The Unknown Man - 33 points

14th - Book - 30 points

15th - Gooseberry Crumble - 25 points

16th- FixedBusiness - 24 points

17th - YoungWilz - 16 points

Last place - Joey Russ - 14 points

RadGuy gets most improved this update, going all the way from 12th place to placing in the top 6 (even if it's shared with a few others)...

• Thanks 1

I withdrew from this pool on June 7.

Doves fly from my sleeves....whoosh....:24087468:

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I withdrew from this pool on June 7.

Doves fly from my sleeves....whoosh....:24087468:

Look, I noticed that you withdrew from this pool when I had a look at your team a while back, but you’re entry is still in the masterlist and will stay in the masterlist because a) there was no public acknowledgement that you withdrew until today, b) you didn’t withdraw until June, when the competition was already on for a few months, and c) your removal may have an impact on potential end of the year bonuses. Look, you don’t have to enter this again next year if this pool is running again and you don’t even have to keep track of your team at this point (I will do that for you), but your team will not be removed, and my word here is final. 

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Look, I noticed that you withdrew from this pool when I had a look at your team a while back, but you’re entry is still in the masterlist and will stay in the masterlist because a) there was no public acknowledgement that you withdrew until today, b) you didn’t withdraw until June, when the competition was already on for a few months, and c) your removal may have an impact on potential end of the year bonuses. Look, you don’t have to enter this again next year if this pool is running again and you don’t even have to keep track of your team at this point (I will do that for you), but your team will not be removed, and my word here is final. 

Really? Really.. :lol:

Mad as a box of frogs....come one come all to the show without end...I'm a prisoner in the Joker's Pool! :pop:

The magic cabinet is making its way onto the stage, will a lovely member of the audience please volunteer to step inside? :24087468:

Ahem, so as you can, there hasn’t been an update for a while. On the one hand, there has only been two joker deaths since I last did an update: John McCain and Montserrat Caballé. However, that’s not the reason why I haven’t done an update for a while. Without going into detail, there has been some aspects of my personal life that needs to be taken care of instead of this pool at this point and time. And, as you all know, I’m running both the Advent Avalanche and taking over the Crowdsource List starting this November, and when that time comes, I’m going to put a lot of focus on those pools instead of this one. So, there’s a good chance that there won’t be another update until after the new year. I will make sure that I close this pool before the first DDP update of the year though. And as such, this will be the final call for anyone willing to take over this pool, otherwise, this will slowly sink into the dead pool abyss... 

• Like 1

Tis understandable since you are running 2 other things especially the Crowdsource List which must be a lot of work adding up the scores.

I really like this pool and do hope someone takes it over. I already have three pools and I won't have the time particularly in the New Year to devote to it.

Thanks Joey for all your work on it but your health must come first.