Sean

George Alagiah

The BBC newsreader George Alagiah has been diagnosed with bowel cancer for a second time.He was first diagnosed with Stage 4 bowel cancer in April 2014 which had spread to his lymph nodes and liver.Due to the presence of 8 tumours in his liver a substantial part was removed.He underwent 3 operations and nearly 18 months of chemotherapy.No news on the stage of his cancer or whether it has spread again this time but given the seriousness of the last cancer diagnosis it looks grim.Alagiah is 62 and has worked for the BBC for 29 years initially as a foreign correspondent covering Rwanda Afghanistan and Somalia.For the last 15 years he has been the presenter of BBC News at 6 (Most recently 15/1/18).He has also interviewed Desmond Tutu Nelson Mandela Robert Mugabe and Kofi Annan.

Surely a possible future DL candidate if he lasts long enough ?

• Like 1

You know, I would have probably said yes that he could make the deathlist, but they didn't put Steve Hewlett on the list last year. But maybe he's bigger than Hewlett was, so I could be wrong...

• Like 1

Had Alagiah gone public with his cancer before the new year he would probably be on the list.

As for Steve Hewlett....he has nothing on George. He's a nobody.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

You know, I would have probably said yes that he could make the deathlist, but they didn't put Steve Hewlett on the list last year. But maybe he's bigger than Hewlett was, so I could be wrong...

He is much bigger than Steve Hewlett.Hewlett presented the media show on Radio 4 . Alagiah is the presenter of BBC News at 6 broadcast to millions.Different league.Alagiah is perhaps the British equivalent of people like Brian Williams and Anderson Cooper.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Windsor said:

Had Alagiah gone public with his cancer before the new year he would probably be on the list.

As for Steve Hewlett....he has nothing on George. He's a nobody.

He wasn`t exactly a noboby.He had a successful career but not that many people knew who he was before his cancer diaries.Alagiah on the other hand I bet would be recognized by well over 90% of British adults if they saw a picture.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

He wasn`t exactly a noboby.He had a successful career but not that many people knew who he was before his cancer diaries.Alagiah on the other hand I bet would be recognized by well over 90% of British adults if they saw a picture.

He was a nobody. In the grand scale of things. Anyone who gets famous for a cancer diary, is not properly famous...just sympathy famous. Not the same thing.

• Like 3

Yeah prime time newsreaders are in an entirely different league to radio presenters and producers.

• Like 1

I still don't know who Steve Hewlett is or was. 

I've known who George Alagiah is since he first appeared on TV as a news reporter many years ago.

• Like 2

Ah, so he definitely deathlisty then... 

Alagiah's definitely a shout for 2019, I'd say. And very deathlisty to anyone unfortunate enough to be aware of that TV programme known colloquially as 'The News'.

7 hours ago, Sean said:

I listen to radio 4 more than I watch BBC news.

Hewlett was a respected journalist and very good at his job. His cancer diaries were extremely moving. I agree he was not a household name but he was a significant figure in the UK media.

21 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, so he definitely deathlisty then... 

He's extremely deathlisty, to the point if he'd went public about is cancer weeks earlier he'd be on this years list. If he makes it to next year - which is possible - he'll be in top half of the list for sure. The only people who would consider question his deathlistyness are dirty foreigners invading our board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Certain Deathlist candidate if he lives long enough for contention.

Is he the lead story on six o clock news yet? 

He's presenting the Six O'clock News tonight, for the first time in over a year.

• Like 1

Bearded. New teeth.

He's no Victoria Derbyshire, except they are both alive.

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Bearded. New teeth.

He's no Victoria Derbyshire, except they are both alive.

More a name for 2020 imo but I could be wrong...

alagiah 23 jan 2019.png

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Cancer in a holding pattern whatever that means.

To me that sounds like it's incurable but under control for now.

Speaks of his guilt at having an invisible disability and using a disabled toilet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47979584

His disability is now more invisible - he no longer has to use a stoma after reversal treatment.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Speaks of his guilt at having an invisible disability and using a disabled toilet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47979584

His disability is now more invisible - he no longer has to use a stoma after reversal treatment.

Just as well

From a fashion point of view those bags are a nightmare - you can never get shoes to match!