Sign in to follow this  
Deathray

Songs that would never be made today?

Is it cheating to go back to the early 50s? Not a time known for good lyricism/taste.

https://youtu.be/rm4mh5DEwBo

"Here's a story you'll never forget"

smack smack smack

"Ouch! My tail's all red"

I remember when
I was five and you were ten, boy
You knew that I was shy
So you teased and made me cry
But I loved you

From I'm still waiting by Diana Ross, an ode to a lover double her age when she was five, would surely lead to newspaper questions about inappropriate age gaps in childrens relationships in modern PC Britain long before it became a number one....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

From I'm still standing by Diana Ross, an ode to a lover double her age when she was five, would surely lead to newspaper questions about inappropriate age gaps in childrens relationships in modern PC Britain long before it became a number one....

And he was abusive, you left that out :lol:

• Haha 1

fwiw the Diana Ross song  was I'm still waiting.

How about 'Young girl' by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. Big nunber 1 of the 60s, basically an ode to an under age girl ('beneath your perfume and make up, you're just  a baby in disguise'). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

fwiw the Diana Ross song  was I'm still waiting.

How about 'Young girl' by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. Big nunber 1 of the 60s, basically an ode to an under age girl ('beneath your perfume and make up, you're just  a baby in disguise'). 

Oh don't start me off on that one.  The poor lad has just found out that his girlfriend is not as old as she looks, and has lied to him about her age. 

You led me to believe you're old enough to give me love
And now it hurts to know the truth

He's horrified to find out that she's jailbait, and is basically dumping her.  People never seem to listen to the whole thing. 

It's a thing that happens all the time, and I feel sorry for all the young lads that find themselves in this situation.  It's a hundred times worse than it was when I was a teenager because everyone's so puritanical now.  When I was at school half the girls in my class were shagging older guys before they were 16.  It's just nature.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sewermaintenance said:

It wouldn't be made today cause no-one makes a Christmas song in the middle of May.

• Like 1

So in 1980, Benny Mardones was 33 years old and the girl was 16:

52 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

So in 1980, Benny Mardones was 33 years old and the girl was 16:

Legal in Europe, even if he did do more than take her for a ride on a magic carpet :P

I'd never heard of him, nor the song.   I don't think his age is a factor really,  the singer is just the interpreter, like an actor. 

Interesting background to the song though!

Benny Mardones tells us that the 16-year-old girl he's singing about was named Heidi, and she lived in his apartment in Spanish Harlem. Their relationship was purely platonic, however, as Benny looked after Heidi and her family after her father left. Benny would pay her $50 a week to walk his basset hound, Zanky. Mardones wrote this song with Robert Tepper, who would later write the song "No Easy Way Out" for the movie Rocky IV. Benny told us: "One night Robert Tepper and I were up writing songs. It was about a week before we were leaving for Miami to cut the first big album, which was Never Run, Never Hide. We thought that we already had the hit song, so did Polydor Records. It was a song called 'Might Have Been Love.' But at the last minute we're sitting there one night at my apartment trying to write. Bobby kept playing the chord changes and we tried 18 melodies and 30 kinds of lyrics and all of a sudden the key in the door turned and I said, 'Oh my God, it's daylight.' Because we liked to keep the blinds down.

And in she walks, 16 years old, dressed for school in a miniskirt, little stacked heels, adorable, 16-going-on-21. She said, 'You've been up all night?' and of course it was obvious. I said, 'Yeah, we have.' She says, 'Okay, come on, Zanky,' and she walks the dog out. When she leaves and goes out the door, my partner goes, 'Oh, my God.' I said, 'Hey, Bob. She's just 16 years old, leave her alone.' And literally five minutes later I said, 'Play that lick again, Bobby.' So he played the lick and I went (singing), 'she's just 16 years old, leave her alone, they say.' Then I thought about her dad and what he had done, and that's where I got (singing), 'Separated by fools who don't know what love is yet.' The chorus was, 'you're too young for me, but if I could fly, I'd pick you up and take you into the night and show you love like you've never seen.' Then the verse 'It's like having it all and letting it show. It's like having a dream where nobody has a heart. It's like having it all and watching it fall apart.' Because his success was not the family's success; it was just his. 'I can't measure my love there's nothing compared to it' - it was all about the abandonment of this family and this 16-year-old girl."

While the song has stuck like glue to radio playlists, when it first came out, radio stations had some concerns. Benny explains: "When it first was released, R&B stations all over America thought I was black. Then they found out I was white and they dropped the record. White radio was afraid to touch it because they thought it was about me dating a 16-year-old girl at my age. So Polydor Records sent out like 3,000 letters to radio stations across the country explaining what the song was really about. And the song got added and almost instantly started playing all over America."

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Legal in Europe, even if he did do more than take her for a ride on a magic carpet :P

I'd never heard of him, nor the song.   I don't think his age is a factor really,  the singer is just the interpreter, like an actor. 

Interesting background to the song though!

Sounds like the song almost didn't get made back then..

34 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Sounds like the song almost didn't get made back then..

Recorded and released, but problems getting it played.  I don't quite follow the race element though -

"When it first was released, R&B stations all over America thought I was black. Then they found out I was white and they dropped the record. White radio was afraid to touch it because they thought it was about me dating a 16-year-old girl at my age."

Did he mean black radio stations wouldn't play it simply because he was white, nothing to do with the content?

And "white radio" had issues with the content?

I'm surprised because I don't remember people being that precious about teenage sex in 1980.  But maybe it was different in the US.  We didn't have anything like black or white radio stations here in the UK, either.

The disco song Doctor's Orders would be changed to Doctor's Recommendations

I maintain there have only been a few entries that legitimise this thread.  Joey ‘hit’ on one.

Indulge me the opportunity to post another.

7C6CF548-A315-4463-BACE-D3D96D818D32.jpeg

What's wrong with that one?  It's clearly metaphorical.

I'm sure I had this song when I was a kid - not this version but a B side of something, I don't remember what.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toast said:

What's wrong with that one?  It's clearly metaphorical.

I'm sure I had this song when I was a kid - not this version but a B side of something, I don't remember what.

Clearly the same sort of chains Ray Charles had.

In the car I have been listening to a double compilation of old Trojan hits, perfect for this hot weather, and there are a few on there that would not be made today.

Susan Cadogan, Hurts So Good.   A single that I bought when it came out :D  

First you take my heart in the palm of your hand and you squeeze it tight

Then you take my mind and play with it all night

You take my pride and you throw it up against the wall

You take me in your arms, baby and bounce me like a rubber ball

I'm not complaining, what you're doing, you see

'Cause this hurting feeling is oh so good to me

Don't you know that it (hurts so good.) Don't you know that it (hurts so good.) Don't you know that it (hurts so good.)

It hurts so good

You take my name and you scandalise it in the street

Oh anything you wanna do, say, it's alright by me

You turned right around and make sweet love to me

Ooh wee baby, it sure felt good to me

'Cause baby, these things you're doing to me

It hurts so bad, but it's worth all the misery

Don't you know that it (hurts so good.) Don't you know that it (hurts so good.) Don't you know that it (hurts so good.)

It hurts so good

Ooh baby, ooh, yeah, ooh, ooh, oh boy,

Please don't ever take the heat off me

'Cause it would hurt even more if you say if you'd ever, ever leave

Even though sometimes it's hard for me to bear

Oh, I'll make myself hold on cause if it kills me, I don't care

'Cause baby, I don't want you to ever quit

It ain't no good till it hurts a little bit

It hurts so good

• Like 1