Spade_Cooley

Films with entirely dead casts

18 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Brilliant idea! I submit a hatful of rain for my film

The main stars Don Murray and Eve Marie Saint are still alive as is Henry Sliva who plays a major role in the film.

I will start a thread later and I will take this as the first entry but you might want to reconsider when you find out the tiebreaker rule. Whilst players cannot play the same film if they overlap actors if two players get down to needing the same actor to win they will be forced to pick another pick (cast or crew) from their film to distinguish them from the other tied player. 

Can we take documentaries as well if they received a theatrical release?

• Confused 1

Spade sounding dangerous already :unsure:

^ Can you blame him? Got images of Spade in this years DDP like an injured footballer kicking every ball on the touchline frustrated.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Can we take documentaries as well if they received a theatrical release?

I don't want to allow documentaries as I can see it getting messy but I am trying to find a wording that would exclude them and still be justified.

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I will start a thread later and I will take this as the first entry but you might want to reconsider when you find out the tiebreaker rule. Whilst players cannot play the same film if they overlap actors if two players get down to needing the same actor to win they will be forced to pick another pick (cast or crew) from their film to distinguish them from the other tied player. 

I don't want to reconsider.

• Like 1

Listened to a 30 min interview with Elizabeth Bellak this morning about the publication of her sister Renia Spiegels diaries, pretty much the Polish Anne Frank.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/watch-livestream-renia-spiegel-diary-event-180970654/

Interestingly Elizabeth was known as the Polish Shirley Temple and mentioned she had been in a film she had no memory of, Gehenna, that she only found out about recently and is the last survivor. At the time Elizabeth was Ariana Spiegel.

https://uncoveringjewishheritage.com/2016/05/25/the-polish-shirley-temple-and-her-sister-the-poet/

Haven't had the time to look bar finding links and thought I'd batter this down for posterity.

Interview worth a listen, r5 at 2.00-2.30 am.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, charon said:

Interview worth a listen, r5 at 2.00-2.30 am 

Aye. Heard it :glare:

41YMMBq9efL.jpg.074978ef37b76dba7b93d12acaf94507.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

icon_scared.gif

surrender_on_icon.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

You've heard of The Magnificent Seven.
This would be the opposite.

Hmmmm. The Magnificent Seven.

I did post the death the other day of Rosenda Monteros, who played Petra.

I "think" she was the last of the adult cast, there may be one or two of the weans still left, but it was filmed 60 years ago, so maybe not.

On 06/02/2018 at 13:12, Spade_Cooley said:

Here's one: Lady and the Tramp, 1955. Now, you'd assume skimming the cast list that, with the death of Stan Freberg in 2015, the cast is all gone. However, the "dogs at the pound" were played by the vocal group The Mellomen, who featured, among others, Thurl "Tony the Tiger" Ravenscroft.

Now assuming the Mellomen line-up in the film was the 1955 line-up, we know Max Smith died in 1999 and Ravenscroft in 2005. But Bob Hamlin vanishes after he left the Mellomen, and even the Disney fansites don't have a clue. Anyone got a lead?

Side note: The Mellomen were also the first act to release R&B records under the Columbia imprint, despite former Deathlist favourite Mitch Miller attempting to sabotage the project.

I wonder if the Bob Hamlin mentioned in this story is the Bob Hamlin in question. Both from Nebraska, both singers, the ages seem to match up.

Actually maybe not, this seems to be the same guy and if he had graduation night in 1955, he probably wasn't appearing in Disney films the same year.

Not sure if it qualifies. But with the departing of Bruno Ganz, then all the main listed and named character actors of one of the most beautiful films of all time (my personal opinion) have passed away. Der Himmel Uber Berlin/Wings of Desire.

Bruno Ganz

Solveig Dommartin

Otto Sandler

Curt Bois

Peter Falk

• Like 3

So, with the death of Patricia Garwood, thought I'd check up on the cast of The Lavender Hill Mob.

The entire credited cast is dead. Of those uncredited, the best known and definite survivors are Valerie Singleton (yes, that one) and Johnny Briggs.

Ernie Rice is still alive on IMDB, but Wiki has him dead in 1979. Given he was born in 1896, dead.

Ernest Blythe - who knows, last credited role was as an audience member in The Rocky Horror Picture Show...most likely dead?

French actor Jacques Cey....old as the hills in the 1970s, and nothing credited since 1971...dead?

Possibly still living:

Alanna Boyce - b. 1940 - child actress, nothing since Dixon Of Dock Green since 1961. Might die in obscurity, probably under her married name.

Daniel Brown - b. unknown - perennial uncredited extra, appeared in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Yellow Rolls Royce and Carry On Girls.

Joe Clarke - b. unknown - O'Donovan in early 80s horror flick Basket Case, I'd expect him to turn up on the usual horror sites if he died.

Joe Clarke was active in 2015 so I'd guess 'alive'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

So, with the death of Patricia Garwood, thought I'd check up on the cast of The Lavender Hill Mob.

The entire credited cast is dead. Of those uncredited, the best known and definite survivors are Valerie Singleton (yes, that one) and Johnny Briggs.

Ernie Rice is still alive on IMDB, but Wiki has him dead in 1979. Given he was born in 1896, dead.

Ernest Blythe - who knows, last credited role was as an audience member in The Rocky Horror Picture Show...most likely dead?

French actor Jacques Cey....old as the hills in the 1970s, and nothing credited since 1971...dead?

Possibly still living:

Alanna Boyce - b. 1940 - child actress, nothing since Dixon Of Dock Green since 1961. Might die in obscurity, probably under her married name.

Daniel Brown - b. unknown - perennial uncredited extra, appeared in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Yellow Rolls Royce and Carry On Girls.

Joe Clarke - b. unknown - O'Donovan in early 80s horror flick Basket Case, I'd expect him to turn up on the usual horror sites if he died.

That must be when Frank sings' I'm Going Home.  I'm not sure which one Ernest is but as most of the audience members looked old then, I doubt he is still alive.

• Like 1

Thankfully, equally obsessive people online have also been trying to track Ernie down. He's the barrister at the back (first left) here:

fetch?id=8989&d=1501682080

His Equity membership ended in 1979 due to there being no current address for him. I think we can safely say he's gone, although the linked thread also struggles to nail the exact date of his death.

• Like 2

Cheating because it's only a two-hander, but Albert Finney's passing means 1973's Alpha Beta now qualifies for this thread. The female lead was Rachel Roberts, who killed herself by drinking lye in 1990.

Four names from the cast list that aren't listed as dead, the one that strikes as most likely still alive is Richard Neilson. It was his house that Jon Pertwee died at in 1996, surely the Who fans out there would know if he'd gone? He'd be 94 now if he is still with us.

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Four names from the cast list that aren't listed as dead, the one that strikes as most likely still alive is Richard Neilson. It was his house that Jon Pertwee died at in 1996, surely the Who fans out there would know if he'd gone? He'd be 94 now if he is still with us.

Richard A Neilson
fa35fd929e392c7f6bac85c70a39e909.svg
  • Sherman, CT
  • Luce Ennis Neilson
  • Richard A Neilson

This dude the right age lives in the same place as Pertwee died.  I think the other relative in same house (Luce) is presumably a wife.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, msc said:

Richard A Neilson
fa35fd929e392c7f6bac85c70a39e909.svg
  • Sherman, CT
  • Luce Ennis Neilson
  • Richard A Neilson

This dude the right age lives in the same place as Pertwee died.  I think the other relative in same house (Luce) is presumably a wife.

Indeed it is: Luce Ennis, played one of the nuns in the original Broadway production of The Sound of Music.