Spade_Cooley

Films with entirely dead casts

On 23/02/2019 at 17:29, Bentrovato said:

Not sure if it qualifies. But with the departing of Bruno Ganz, then all the main listed and named character actors of one of the most beautiful films of all time (my personal opinion) have passed away. Der Himmel Uber Berlin/Wings of Desire.

Bruno Ganz

Solveig Dommartin

Otto Sandler

Curt Bois

Peter Falk

If rumours are to be believed, the writer for Wings of Desire, Peter Handke has passed.

Three Steps in the Dark only has one living cast member, Sarah Lawson and she is ninety years old. All other cast members have dates of death on imdb if not on wiki.

http://old.bfi.org.uk/nationalarchive/news/mostwanted/three-steps-in-the-dark.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0220811/

A bit more recent, The Maids only has Glenda Jackson in the land of the living.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071798/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

• Like 1

On 05/02/2018 at 13:38, Death Impends said:

I think we can safely assume any film released before 1918's Station Content has achieved the clean sweep. (Station Content still has one surviving cast member nearly a century later, as Fay McKenzie appeared in it when she was only a few weeks old, and turns 100 in two weeks!)

McKenzie's death mentioned elsewhere sees Station Content on the clean sweep, but it took a century and 10 months to achieve it. Would imagine she was the last survivor of many of her films.

It now seems the earliest film to still have a living cast member is September 1919's Back to the Kitchen, which included Don Marion Davis. (Cupid's Day Off, released January 1919, could be even earlier, but IMDB isn't entirely sure if Davis was a cast member or not).

I discovered that the film Yellow Submarine is closer to all to its cast dying than I thought. Besides Paul and Ringo (who only appeared in live action at the end of the film), there’s two actors who deaths aren’t noted. One of them, Paul Angelis, is definitely still alive. The other, Peter Batten, is probably another one of those cases where we’ll never truly know if they had died or not due to him not being heard of again after he was arrested for desertion during the films production...

The death of Allene Roberts reported here means that the entire cast of The Red House (1947) and The Sign Of The Ram (1948) are definitely dead.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730815/

Two annoying details:

Margaret Tracy is not listed as dead on IMDB for The Sign Of The Ram. However, she was the mother of fairly recently deceased Peggy Cummins, and as it turns out Wiki states Margaret was born in the 19th century and died in 1973. So I think we are safe there.

The entire cast of the Lawrence Tierney movie The Hoodlum (1951) would be dead but for the lack of a traceable obit for one Richard Barron, who had a credited role and seems to have stopped acting in the late 1950s. Who knows?

Otherwise, there's a number of bit part uncredited roles in her other films who are probably deceased but they'd need proper detective work.

• Like 1

Literally has anyone the time to hunt through Doris Day's movies? :lol:

Clicked through a bunch at random, didn't drag anything conclusive up. There was always a kid or something in her movies that's still with us 70 years later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Clicked through a bunch at random, didn't drag anything conclusive up. There was always a kid or something in her movies that's still with us 70 years later.

Christopher Olsen who played her son in the Man who Knew Too Much is still alive aged 72(and has paid tribute to her) and so is Billy Gray who played her son in By the Light of the Silvery Moon aged 81.

Jacqueline Beer is still alive from the cast of Pillow Talk - aged 86.

Probably others as well.

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:31, Spade_Cooley said:

Or in the case of Young Man With a Horn (1950) Kirk Douglas is still breathing who was a 'kid' of 33 at the time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Young Man With a Horn

ken.jpg

• Haha 2

Janis Paige who played the role on Broadway that Doris took in The Pajama Game is still with us.

On 05/02/2018 at 20:59, Handrejka said:

I thought we could cross of Kind Hearts and Coronets as well but Jeremy Spenser still seems to be alive though he hasn't acted for 50 years. There's also this guy who doesn't have a d.o.d so it's always going to be in limbo.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384545/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t23

There must some episodes of TV shows were all cast members are dead. I'm thinking some episodes of Porridge (original), Steptoe and Son and The Man in Room 17. 

Nicholas Hill now has a date of death listed so just Jeremey Spenser from Kind Hearts and Coronets still going. 

Done some research on North by Northwest cast.

1)Eva Marie saint alive only credited actor/actress.

Uncredited

2) Lloyd Williams no date of birth but looks like he has recent photo on imdb

3)Susan Whitney b 1940 

4)Ray Weaver b 1917

5) Joe szorentini, (possibly dead) 

6) Doris Singh b 1924

7) Tom Marshall (possibly dead)

8)Josephine forsberg

9)David a cox 

10)Stephen bolster b 1933

11)Anne Anderson b 1937

If anyone has done extra research or can confirm any of the uncredited list is dead I'll update list.

Initial scan of IMDB indicates that David Hedison was the last surviving credited and uncredited cast member of 1958's The Fly, even outliving his on-screen son by nearly 4 years.

Accordingly, they are all dead.

On 05/07/2019 at 07:44, the_engineer said:

Done some research on North by Northwest cast.

1)Eva Marie saint alive only credited actor/actress.

Uncredited

2) Lloyd Williams no date of birth but looks like he has recent photo on imdb

3)Susan Whitney b 1940 

4)Ray Weaver b 1917

5) Joe szorentini, (possibly dead) 

6) Doris Singh b 1924

7) Tom Marshall (possibly dead)

8)Josephine forsberg

9)David a cox 

10)Stephen bolster b 1933

11)Anne Anderson b 1937

If anyone has done extra research or can confirm any of the uncredited list is dead I'll update list.

Lili Rosson, who had a small part in the film, was alive but just died at age 87.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lili-rosson-dead-north-by-northwest-ozzie-harriet-actress-was-87-1230001

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Lili Rosson, who had a small part in the film, was alive but just died at age 87.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lili-rosson-dead-north-by-northwest-ozzie-harriet-actress-was-87-1230001

North by Northwest and rear window are my favourite movies from the 50s.  NBN always reminded me of a bond movie before the bond movies. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_engineer said:

North by Northwest and rear window are my favourite movies from the 50s.  NBN always reminded me of a bond movie before the bond movies. 

Rear Window easily in my top ten favourite films. Great cast, sets and some of Hitchcocks best camera work. The latter sounds pseudy, but feck it, creative/imaginative framing/tone/etc is as much a joy of cinema as the acting imo.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, msc said:

Rear Window easily in my top ten favourite films. Great cast, sets and some of Hitchcocks best camera work. The latter sounds pseudy, but feck it, creative/imaginative framing/tone/etc is as much a joy of cinema as the acting imo.

What's great about rear window is kids to old people can watch it, as can different generations and it's also very Influential.  I recently read John carpenter was heavily influenced by this movie,  of course he remade rear window which I've never seen.  But Tommy Doyle in Halloween was named after a character in rear windowand the end of rear window and Halloween are very similar both standing and stirring in the dark being hit multiple times  (bulb flashes, bullets) and then falling out the window. Even classics were influenced by rear window.  A Timeless classic is literally the perfect way to describe rear window.  

6 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Mine too. In fact they're probably both in my top ten ever. 

• Like 1

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) is one of my all time favourite films.

I suspect that all the main cast are long dead.

I have not checked to see if that is actually the case because I am a lazy bastard.

Anyway, I reckon they are all dead, so there.

5 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) is one of my all time favourite films.

I suspect that all the main cast are long dead.

I have not checked to see if that is actually the case because I am a lazy bastard.

Anyway, I reckon they are all dead, so there.

John Ericson who plays the hotel clark was alive as of 2015 so presumably would obit given CV if dead imo.

PS Great film. I needn't wonder of my fave (Eagle Has Landed, honest) - Sutherland, Caine, Marsh, Agutter, Standing, etc etc all a long way from qualifying for this thread!

• Like 1

Just now, msc said:

John Ericson who plays the hotel clark was alive as of 2015 so presumably would obit given CV if dead imo.

Beat me to it, just looked it up.

If he is out there somewhere he is 93!

The Wizard of Oz was released 80 years ago! No recent news about Caren Marsh Doll but she looked well at 99.

There's a new Google Easter egg, which you can find by looking up the film.