Jump to content
charon

General techy thread.

Recommended Posts

Inspired by lardys current trevails, why not?

 

As an aficionado of importing phones direct from China , I am currently awaiting number 5 to arrive.

 

Had two Jiayus which were huge bang for buck, followed by two Umis in the last 15 months (I broke the screen on first one after a couple of weeks, and now ditto with the latter one, tho still usable).

 

Current bad boy in the post is the lesser specced Vernee X , 4 gig RAM/ 64 gig ROM for £121 incl free postage ( the higher specced variant of 6/128 gigs isn't justifiable imo for an extra £60 quid ).

 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848756877.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDetail&spm=2114.12010615.0.0.69ea7c7714rOAn

 

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/01/19/vernee-x-review-close-awesome/

 

18/9 aspect so a 6" phone same dimension as current 5.5" one, over a 6,000 mah battery with quick charging (a boon, believe me, it is), dual sim, unlocked, pretty much stock android 7 with 8 due via an over the air upgrade.

 

Only downside is no 3.5mm headphone jack, but comes with USB C to 3.5mm adaptor, not a biggie as I rarely use headphones.

 

 

 

Will post if its a pile of shite :D

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool thread. I’ve had three Chinese phones in the last year on recommendation (I’m harsh on them too :ph34r:) Umi, Leagoo and Xaomi. They are really amazing performance wise for the price. My most recent ex husband can’t get on with them at all which just goes to show they are the phone choice for non wrong-uns.

 

** 6000 mah battery with quick charging :wub: if this witchcraft exists without loss of spec I'm going for #4

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been hanging on to my Samsung S2 forever. But it's now as slow as a dachshund in 6 inches of snow. Whilst it is not on a contract so no provider garbage on it, Samsung have still seen fit to load it with a pile of bloatware which has used all the memory. I suppose I could root it, but it's 8 years old anyway.

 

Since I hate bloatware more than Boris Johnson (and that's a high hurdle) I'm going to wait on your appraisal Charon. Had considered that new essential phone but still don't want to pay that for a bloody phone and the idea that anyone would pay a grand for an Iphone X is a mystery to me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I misread the thread title.  Thought it said "General tetchy thread". 

As you were.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Toast said:

Oh, I misread the thread title.  Thought it said "General tetchy thread". 

As you were.

 

I'd have been far more at home in a general tetchy thread tbh.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timely thread, since my old slow Samsung Galaxy Core broke, so I just got a new Samsung Galaxy J3 2017 (there's two J3's, don't know what year the other is from but the one I have is the newest) yesterday as a somewhat early birthday present (which is tomorrow) Pretty good phone. Camera is better than Core for sure. Only complaint is the headphone jack input (right beside charger input for some reason). Also, was at the phone store renewing my contract, getting the phone, etc for about an hour and a half because the shit internet on that day. Of course, thanks Virgin Canada ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not great with time differences FixedBusiness but happy birthday whenever it is :unsure: All the best people are born on the 12th - 13th :birthday2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, charon said:

Inspired by lardys current trevails, why not?

 

As an aficionado of importing phones direct from China , I am currently awaiting number 5 to arrive.

 

Had two Jiayus which were huge bang for buck, followed by two Umis in the last 15 months (I broke the screen on first one after a couple of weeks, and now ditto with the latter one, tho still usable).

 

Current bad boy in the post is the lesser specced Vernee X , 4 gig RAM/ 64 gig ROM for £121 incl free postage ( the higher specced variant of 6/128 gigs isn't justifiable imo for an extra £60 quid ).

 

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848756877.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDetail&spm=2114.12010615.0.0.69ea7c7714rOAn

 

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/01/19/vernee-x-review-close-awesome/

 

18/9 aspect so a 6" phone same dimension as current 5.5" one, over a 6,000 mah battery with quick charging (a boon, believe me, it is), dual sim, unlocked, pretty much stock android 7 with 8 due via an over the air upgrade.

 

Only downside is no 3.5mm headphone jack, but comes with USB C to 3.5mm adaptor, not a biggie as I rarely use headphones.

 

 

 

Will post if its a pile of shite :D

Interesting- my Father is looking for a smart phone so I’ll await with interest.

 

out of curiosity- no issues with importing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None at all for me. Charon is "careful"who waits months :rolleyes: but still seems fine. Please tell us what you get phil, we're interested :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Boudicca said:

I'm not great with time differences FixedBusiness but happy birthday whenever it is :unsure: All the best people are born on the 12th - 13th :birthday2:

Thank you, and yes you got the time right-ish even though I was sleeping when you posted, atleast you got the day right :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

Interesting- my Father is looking for a smart phone so I’ll await with interest.

 

out of curiosity- no issues with importing? 

 

Not really, out of the five I've been asked to pay import duty once, £30 odd on a £160 phone.

 

That was from gearbest although previous one from there didn't have a problem, think I chose a different shipping option and that meant closer scrutiny. I also didn't ask them to label it as "something" as previously that was done automatically.

 

 

Two previous to gearbest were from Spemall, and were labelled "picture frame repair" or some such.

 

 

Current one I believe is down as a mobile but an $80 one, so doesn't attract duty.

 

 

They are all dual sim which I find advantageous living in the sticks, and you just need to make sure it does the bands that are used by the UK networks, which a doddle to check, pick your specs and off you go.

 

Good place for reviews is Gizchina tho there a few that do the same, and some of the companies are opening stores in Spain, possibly Germany , Xaomi for one, so there is some easier warranty access.

 

* I treat them as disposable, and unless DOA I won't bother, its me that kills them :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right.

 

Showbox.

 

 

Perfect for android users. But they ramped up the adverts of late.

 

 

 

Here's an ad free version..... http://www.mediafire.com/file/84aud33whr3kyd9/Show_Box_v4.94_[ad-free_mod_by_ries].apk

 

If anycunto needs a get around for watch only if they want to download, just ask.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really getting into Bittrex.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×