charon

General techy thread.

Inspired by lardys current trevails, why not?

As an aficionado of importing phones direct from China , I am currently awaiting number 5 to arrive.

Had two Jiayus which were huge bang for buck, followed by two Umis in the last 15 months (I broke the screen on first one after a couple of weeks, and now ditto with the latter one, tho still usable).

Current bad boy in the post is the lesser specced Vernee X , 4 gig RAM/ 64 gig ROM for £121 incl free postage ( the higher specced variant of 6/128 gigs isn't justifiable imo for an extra £60 quid ).

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848756877.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDetail&spm=2114.12010615.0.0.69ea7c7714rOAn

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/01/19/vernee-x-review-close-awesome/

18/9 aspect so a 6" phone same dimension as current 5.5" one, over a 6,000 mah battery with quick charging (a boon, believe me, it is), dual sim, unlocked, pretty much stock android 7 with 8 due via an over the air upgrade.

Only downside is no 3.5mm headphone jack, but comes with USB C to 3.5mm adaptor, not a biggie as I rarely use headphones.

Will post if its a pile of shite :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cool thread. I’ve had three Chinese phones in the last year on recommendation (I’m harsh on them too :ph34r:) Umi, Leagoo and Xaomi. They are really amazing performance wise for the price. My most recent ex husband can’t get on with them at all which just goes to show they are the phone choice for non wrong-uns.

** 6000 mah battery with quick charging :wub: if this witchcraft exists without loss of spec I'm going for #4

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Been hanging on to my Samsung S2 forever. But it's now as slow as a dachshund in 6 inches of snow. Whilst it is not on a contract so no provider garbage on it, Samsung have still seen fit to load it with a pile of bloatware which has used all the memory. I suppose I could root it, but it's 8 years old anyway.

Since I hate bloatware more than Boris Johnson (and that's a high hurdle) I'm going to wait on your appraisal Charon. Had considered that new essential phone but still don't want to pay that for a bloody phone and the idea that anyone would pay a grand for an Iphone X is a mystery to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I misread the thread title.  Thought it said "General tetchy thread". 

As you were.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Toast said:

Oh, I misread the thread title.  Thought it said "General tetchy thread". 

As you were.

I'd have been far more at home in a general tetchy thread tbh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Timely thread, since my old slow Samsung Galaxy Core broke, so I just got a new Samsung Galaxy J3 2017 (there's two J3's, don't know what year the other is from but the one I have is the newest) yesterday as a somewhat early birthday present (which is tomorrow) Pretty good phone. Camera is better than Core for sure. Only complaint is the headphone jack input (right beside charger input for some reason). Also, was at the phone store renewing my contract, getting the phone, etc for about an hour and a half because the shit internet on that day. Of course, thanks Virgin Canada ^_^

I'm not great with time differences FixedBusiness but happy birthday whenever it is :unsure: All the best people are born on the 12th - 13th :birthday2:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, charon said:

Inspired by lardys current trevails, why not?

As an aficionado of importing phones direct from China , I am currently awaiting number 5 to arrive.

Had two Jiayus which were huge bang for buck, followed by two Umis in the last 15 months (I broke the screen on first one after a couple of weeks, and now ditto with the latter one, tho still usable).

Current bad boy in the post is the lesser specced Vernee X , 4 gig RAM/ 64 gig ROM for £121 incl free postage ( the higher specced variant of 6/128 gigs isn't justifiable imo for an extra £60 quid ).

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32848756877.html?trace=storeDetail2msiteDetail&spm=2114.12010615.0.0.69ea7c7714rOAn

https://www.gizchina.com/2018/01/19/vernee-x-review-close-awesome/

18/9 aspect so a 6" phone same dimension as current 5.5" one, over a 6,000 mah battery with quick charging (a boon, believe me, it is), dual sim, unlocked, pretty much stock android 7 with 8 due via an over the air upgrade.

Only downside is no 3.5mm headphone jack, but comes with USB C to 3.5mm adaptor, not a biggie as I rarely use headphones.

Will post if its a pile of shite :D

Interesting- my Father is looking for a smart phone so I’ll await with interest.

out of curiosity- no issues with importing? 

None at all for me. Charon is "careful"who waits months :rolleyes: but still seems fine. Please tell us what you get phil, we're interested :)

8 hours ago, Boudicca said:

I'm not great with time differences FixedBusiness but happy birthday whenever it is :unsure: All the best people are born on the 12th - 13th :birthday2:

Thank you, and yes you got the time right-ish even though I was sleeping when you posted, atleast you got the day right :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

Interesting- my Father is looking for a smart phone so I’ll await with interest.

out of curiosity- no issues with importing? 

Not really, out of the five I've been asked to pay import duty once, £30 odd on a £160 phone.

That was from gearbest although previous one from there didn't have a problem, think I chose a different shipping option and that meant closer scrutiny. I also didn't ask them to label it as "something" as previously that was done automatically.

Two previous to gearbest were from Spemall, and were labelled "picture frame repair" or some such.

Current one I believe is down as a mobile but an $80 one, so doesn't attract duty.

They are all dual sim which I find advantageous living in the sticks, and you just need to make sure it does the bands that are used by the UK networks, which a doddle to check, pick your specs and off you go.

Good place for reviews is Gizchina tho there a few that do the same, and some of the companies are opening stores in Spain, possibly Germany , Xaomi for one, so there is some easier warranty access.

* I treat them as disposable, and unless DOA I won't bother, its me that kills them :)

• Haha 1

Right.

Showbox.

Perfect for android users. But they ramped up the adverts of late.

Here's an ad free version..... http://www.mediafire.com/file/84aud33whr3kyd9/Show_Box_v4.94_[ad-free_mod_by_ries].apk

If anycunto needs a get around for watch only if they want to download, just ask.

• Like 1

As I sit here typing in a paltry 2g area, wondering when various companies going to get the finger out re upgrading masts, it is with a sense of sickness that I see the next Wilderness Vodafone will put 4g to.....

Is the fucking Moon.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/02/27/vodafone-install-4g-network-moon/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So after 9 years faithful service my 32inch lounge Toshiba TV is firmly getting to the point of near breakdown. The standby button has now given up the ghost- not really an issue, however I’m not earning as much as I was 18 months ago so I’ll probably ditch Sky in July and as part and parcel go and replace the TV with built in Freeview.

Question is- do I stick to the high street or would it be worth importing one in privately. If that’s the case how the heck would I go about it?

I just bought a new TV from Richer Sounds.  They are a properly independent company and customer service is paramount.  They do some good deals with 6 year warranty included, and (bearing in mind the value of the warranty) will refund the difference if you can buy cheaper elsewhere.   You can't really go wrong with them.

https://www.richersounds.com/stores/plymouth

This is the one I got ....... It was one of the 5 top rated by Which? for that size telly. 

This thread is erriely timed :o.My wife just bought a new xiaomi mix. I have huawei mate 9 excellent phone.

mmexport1520601784765.jpg

• Like 1

The new Mix rumoured to be ceramic engineer... Xaomi going places, chose the US to float their IPO despite not having the ability to sell there yet.

Largest tech stock float in the World in 2018, $100B+.

NO Chinese brands sell there at the moment as regulations are 'stringent', and the CIA etc say full of spyware lololol. 

But Huewai got permission for one now I think, and after IPO Xaomi going in too.

Got my Vernee and first impressions are good, but I'll take the time to write up a proper reply.

Regards the telly q, I'd buy here tbh, unless you were going to use internet.

John Lewis might be a shout along with toasties richer sounds.

Lewis not doing well so may be bargains plus customer service is good.

If using internet for signal.....that's a whole different ball game.

• Like 1

*** toastie. Fuck WHICH. Bunch of cunts, wouldn't go by their recommendations in any shape or form.

1 hour ago, charon said:

*** toastie. Fuck WHICH. Bunch of cunts, wouldn't go by their recommendations in any shape or form.

Richers never mentioned it as a selling point, so possibly they agree with you.

Right.

Vernee X , the 4/64 gig version.

Cost £121 at the time, didn't get customs but for the first time a vat charge via the Royal Mail. £6.32 + £8 handling charge so total was £136. Fine.

Still waiting on Oreo update but I'm not fussed, might fix some bugs that are reported tho, but as I'd want to put on a different ROM anyways to get rid of the Google apps, I can wait.

It really is literally a stock android, hence only google Shite, but choice of keyboards which are easy to toggle.

Play is pre installed.....

Camera seems fine to my eyes, and the two front/ two back setup I honestly can't tell on photos, but I'm not putting them on a bigger screen so fuck knows if beneficial.

Screen is gorgeous size, and looks good in playback of films etc.

Sound was, as is common, quiet. 'But' as its a mediatek chip I know the engineers mode. Enter *#*#3646633#*#* into the phone keypad as if making a call, scroll to audio and change the settings for headphone, speaker, and headphone+speaker, from 124 to the max which is 160. Save each time, exit, and audio level is perfect. Standard stuff for phones.

Battery life. Lol. Fucking great.

Been off charge since @ 3am, downloaded lots which chews battery, watched an hour at max brightness plus a good bit of youtube and browsed a few hours. Still at 42%.

I honestly don't know how long to charge from flat as it isn't an issue. Stick on charge at bedtime and 3 hours later its full, and even if you're stuck, 20 mins charge would get it hours of use (fast charge ramps it early then tails off). There are fast charge power banks available anyroads if you going camping for a time.

Verdict... Happy. Be happier if XDA release a lighter ROM and I update it, but it is as light a phone as you can buy.

Alternatives include Umidigi S2 lite and some of Xaomi stuff in sub £150 market.

Re Facebook stuff of late, the Chinese take on it, 'tencent' caught up in terms of worth in December last year. Now $78B more.

Netflix. A fraction of the subscribers compared to Chinese most popular streaming service.

And they say Chinese stuff is full of spyware. Laugh Out Loud :D

America is not the only fruit....and they ain't the richest or most popular either.

Be smart, buy Chinese....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh my.

For all these years of posting on here from the land of 2g..... 

Screenshot_20180403-195339.thumb.png.4cc9ca31220efa5de9c101975cb9ba22.png

4g ya fuckers, be very very afraid. Very.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4G internet! Pages load in seconds and my apps aren't killing the data I 'do' have in the godforsaken wilderness.

An evolutionary leap comparable to fire or the wheel!

Possibilities are endless:

"Alexa! Warn me when LFN, Sir Creep and charon are in Dangerous Moods...

• Thanks 2

On 3/9/2018 at 12:04, charon said:

Don't hold back, say how you really feel.

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Don't hold back, say how you really feel.

?

Worked in retail 20 odd years ago. Cunts basically bypassed all the fail safes on indesit washer dryers, poured petrol on them and dropped a match.

Fair enough, the spags bought over hotpoint, and they've been fire hazards since, but did the good move of selling the brand to Whirlpool.

Point stands, they are not independent reviewers, same as Martin Lewis and his shit site.

They take money, review, and promote who they get cash from.

Want to know what to buy? 

Speak to the people on the complaints desk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1