Boudicca

Valentine's Day

Mine was epic last year but special never to be repeated circumstances etc

Do DLers generally celebrate it?

Any tales of successes / failures from days gone by?

Seeing as you have the avatar I find most attractive (Bladan being at other end of the list) here's my tale of success.

Apologies for the initial excessive detail.

Back in 1990 I had fancied this girl from work for about a year but initially we had both been going out with somebody else (and I was pretty sure she didn't fancy me) - anyhow in October/Nov 89 my girlfriend of 2 years dumped me leaving me feeling a bit low and then in December the girl I fancied copped off with one of my friends in front of me which ended her existing relationship and she started going out with my friend plunging me into a new low.

Luckily for me in late Jan/early Feb my friend decided to go back to his previous girlfriend leaving the way clear for me.

But at this stage of course I didn't really have high hopes that I was on her radar.

Anyhow on 11th February 1990 the Sunday Times had an article in it (related to Valentine's Day) with a large diagram showing the internal parts of a heart. This gave me an idea and I decided to go for it.

So I went out on Monday and bought some white card, cut out the internal heart diagram from the magazine and stuck it on the front of the card (the card was maybe a foot tall).

Then I wrote on the front above the heart 'Valentine..' and inside the card '..you've captured my heart, With love ?'

On the Wednesday morning at 6am I got up and drove round to her house and left the card in the front porch, I had forgotten the dog so it was not the silent arrival and departure I had hoped for but nevertheless I got away before anyone saw me.

Later that day she asked me if it was me, I said yes and would she like to go out on Sunday, we got married in 1992, and are still married today with three beautiful adult daughters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Awww... :wub:

Three is a win YW!

ETA mines here :lol::lol:

Lolol I am not Mrs GUN but I too know what I was doing on Sunday 11/2/90.

Getting absolutely hoored in the Parahandy , Commercial and Dillons as I would turn 23 at midnight.

Still made work on Monday tho....

chaplin.gif

Mine? It was slightly awkward. I was married but newly separating. It was still great though. Couldn't get a card obviously but he stayed up to wish me a happy valentine's and made work the next day.

• Like 1

Myself and Mrs Msc have only celebrated Valentine's Day once (she's not keen on it either). This was back at uni. Can't mind if it was the day itself or a few days before. Anyhow, the pub she'd chosen for a get together had a TV, which went from BBC weather reports into extended breaking news that actor Ian Richardson had died. Then her phone rang, it was my mum, and she got a long chat about Richardson from mum too!

Anyhow, we went home and watched my House of Cards DVD.

Somehow, she later married me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Richardson died 9th Feb 2007 so it would be a few days before - I thought you were older than that - not such an insult on a forum as it would be face to face.;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Richardson died 9th Feb 2007 so it would be a few days before - I thought you were older than that - not such an insult on a forum as it would be face to face.;)

You're only as old as you feel, which makes me a chilled 134 years old. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not usually celebrate it for the sake of its over Captitalistic principles. it is there to make the card companies like Hallmark money and roses jump from say 20 dollars a dozen on Jan 1 all the way to like 60, 70 or 80! But i do celebrate Feb 15th...HALF PRICE OFF CHOCOLATE DAY!

22 minutes ago, msc said:

You're only as old as you feel, which makes me a chilled 134 years old. :D

I feel you on that one lol...things are changing so fast....kids these days dont know even the struggle of growing up in the early 2000s

• Haha 2

I've just bought valentine's heart sparklers (I had no idea they were a thing either) because my daughter treats her boyfriend appallingly and has made zero effort. There was a guy there looking all confused "But I don't want a card saying To My Wife, she's someone else's wife at the moment" :lol:

• Haha 1

Just wanted to say how ridiculous it is that Wikipedia 'deaths' listings for February 14 doesn't have St. Valentine's beheading of 278 A.D. listed.  How can there be that much of an oversight?

Happy Valentine's Day to all...

.....says the aging single father sitting on an oil rig in a Texas ghost town.  SMH 

St. Valentine had it better. 

SC

• Like 3

Beheaded ? Thought he tied to a tree and shot through the heart with an arrow.

Shows what lies religion spout.

Anyhoo 14th of Feb SC.... This calander of a previous one?

Very lollable that guilible folk who follow the New Gods think their Christ was born 25/12 or the Boyne was 12/7.

Fucktards of the Highest Order.

Msc mid 30's....

Fuck

[\spoiler]

• Like 1

Aye, though my well known sweetness and light nature online often has me mistaken for a bit older. Four decades older in fact, on one work-related occasion. :o I think they changed their mind when they actually met in person. Think.

If you're still looking for a Valentine's gift for that loved one (even if that loved one is yourself), our local paper has published a handy guide as to what's popular.

5 minutes ago, time said:

If you're still looking for a Valentine's gift for that loved one (even if that loved one is yourself), our local paper has published a handy guide as to what's popular.

I bought one of those the other day.  :D

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I bought one of those the other day.  :D

Which one :P? (Or do you mean a local paper?).

• Haha 1

Valentine's Day is overrated. So many people are able to spend time with the one's that they truly love, and then there's me, still the same piece of fucking shit that I am with no one to love...

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, time said:

Which one :P? (Or do you mean a local paper?).

Number 7

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Number 7

:lol:

Good choice.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, time said:

22% of the population of the nation have searched for a rabbit vibrator??? Oh I've led a sheltered life.

I was reading something about a remote controlled thing activated via a phone app. Didn't read on, too weird.

Roey you are young, it'll happen.

• Like 1