Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Richard Overton

36 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

I read in the over World`s Oldest thread that someone stole his identity and money.

You’ve got to be a proper twat to steal of a 112 year old, hope it doesn’t affect him too bad. I hope he is still able to get out to his parties, pretty damn depressing that someone almost 80 years older than me has a better social life than I currently do, but shows what a legend he is.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

I read in the over World`s Oldest thread that someone stole his identity and money.

Yeah, I saw that. In fairness, you can find his birth date, social security details and address (Richard Overton Avenue) in a matter of minutes, so it's not surprising that some asshole took down that information. Even for petty criminals, stealing from a supercentenarian is low. As immoral and heartless as it gets.

On the bright side the money in his account is separate from the crowdfunded money; his 'cousin' Volma Jr. has control of that so his care isn't in jeopardy.

7 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

On the bright side the money in his account is separate from the crowdfunded money; his 'cousin' Volma Jr. has control of that so his care isn't in jeopardy.

That is a relief to read. I heard that he should have enough to cover his care/expenses through September. I plan on donating the next time he needs it. (My late father  served in WW2.)

• Like 5

From the latest Gofundme update:

$450,109 of $500,000 goal

Raised by 8,737 people in 22 months

Let me first of all start out with this update by thanking all of the veterans for their service to our nation on this Veterans Day. And many thanks to and for all of the soldiers who are serving our nation around the world at this time. Richard Overton is thankful for his service to his country as the nation's oldest living WWII veteran. I have been blessed to be around him on a regular basis to have heard many of his stories about his service in major world events back in the 1940's. Richard is recently out of the hospital recovering from a bout with pneumonia. He is now pneumonia free but not able to be involved in events at this time so he is missing his involvement in the Veterans Parade in Austin, Texas. Given time to recover from this we are hoping that he will be able to speak and do other activities soon.

Overton 5 Pneumonia 0!

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 01:28, Clorox Bleachman said:

Two months back from illness - he's got some strength left, then - but a widely popular pick for the dead pools that don't penalise us for picking the oldies.

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Two months back from illness - he's got some strength left, then - but a widely popular pick for the dead pools that don't penalise us for picking the oldies.

For the record (if it were needed), the Cup allows notable super-centenarians "as an old staple of deadpooling" and so Mr Overton is an allowable pick in that competition.

Overton and Sri Sri concurrently in hospital - first time that's happened?

Just a question.

Would Richard Overton be ineligible for the DeathList simply because his main claim to fame consists of being "the oldest" at something?

You could have a DeathList full of the world's oldest people - but then that wouldn't be much fun as it'd be too easy and pretty boring.

Basically, does the line "Candidates cannot be famous solely for the fact they are likely to die in the near future" exclude all supercentenarians by default?

Or are they eligible for the list if they have a valid claim to fame independent from their age?

In theory if one of Kirk and co live to 110 they'd still be DL eligible because their grand age wouldn't be their only claim to fame. That line only excludes types like Overton who were unknown before they were well past 100.

• Like 5

My goal in life is to meet Mr Overton.  Not my life, his life.  Is it possible to have a goal in another’s life?

• Like 2

On 19/12/2018 at 12:58, Death Impends said:

In theory if one of Kirk and co live to 110 they'd still be DL eligible because their grand age wouldn't be their only claim to fame. That line only excludes types like Overton who were unknown before they were well past 100.

I understand that if Kirk Douglas lived to 111, he'd still be DeathList material.

But the likes of Overton? What about Jeanne Calment?

What about Alexander Imich, who was arguably notable, but hardly a household name?

I seem to remember there was one other woman who'd reached the age of 114 or something who died a few years back and had done something famous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leila_Denmark

DeathListable?

13 hours ago, DeathByArsenic said:

Never heard of this guy,seems like his fame is tied to being the oldest vet.

Gotta get up pretty early to get one past you.

Update on Richard.  He is still in the hospital and today was his last day on the antibiotic that is fighting the pneumonia.  He is a true soldier in fighting this infection battle with all that he has.  Will talk to the doctor in the morning to find out what is his next option and update everyone tomorrow.  Please continue your prayers and your loving concern for him.  Many thanks to everyone for helping him to fight this battle.  You have been a blessing.

Is it too early to say :pop: ?

It seems he beat pneumonia again, but now he's very weak and will be transferred to a rehab center.

I can't lie -- I HATE seeing Overton's name in bold with new info, I immediately look for the 'dead' sticker.  
Hey he won't last forever.  But I wish him the best, he's an inspiration, smoking cigars and all.  A fine 'up yours' to the Reaper.
Unless he's D40 (and he could be but VERY doubtful), he isn't worth a spot on DDP, what is he, 4 points?  meh.  
SC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Unless he's D40 (and he could be but VERY doubtful), he isn't worth a spot on DDP, what is he, 4 points?  meh.  
SC

Nope, only three. Unless some bastard decides to kill him, then he’s worth 6. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Nope, only three. Unless some bastard decides to kill him, then he’s worth 6. 

On his birthday..... 11 even!

Could get in an ambulance wreck on the way to hospital, just slightly more likely than murder lol but unnatural nonetheless

Discharged. Happy Christmas, Richie!

• Like 4