TomTomTelekom

Franco Zeffirelli

This is the first time I create a new topic. But I think, such an important opera, cinema and film producer like Franco Zeffirelli really deserves his own thread.
A few days ago he turned 95 years old.

He is best known for his work in
Romeo and Juliet (1968: won 2 Oscars),
Hamlet (1990 nominated for 2 Oscars with Mel Gibson and Glenn Close)
The Taming of the Shrew (1967 nominated for 2 Oscars with Liz Taylor and Richard Burton),
Jesus of Nazareth (1977 with Robert Powell, Christopher Plummer and Anne Bancroft)
La Traviata (1982 nominated for 2 Oscars)
Othello (1986 nominated for 1 Oscar)

In 1972, for moral reasons, he refused to work as director for The Godfather. Francis Ford Coppola then got this job.
Only four weeks ago in January 2018 his son declared that his father is too ill.
He's on my personal list for the first time this year.  But he would certainly be a possible candidate for the official Deathlist 2019.

Il-regista-Franco-Zeffirelli.jpg

• Like 3

I thought he already had his own thread, though I can't find anything when looking him up...

I have promoted him quite a bit in the past months, to no avail. But then, I might have overestimated his decrepitude.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I have promoted him quite a bit in the past months, to no avail. But then, I might have overestimated his decrepitude.

same

But I also think he is an important enough figure that the committee add him if he is alive come Dec 31,he is still in much worse shape then many people on this year's list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomTomTelekom said:

He is best known for his work

And lately also for allegations of sexual assault:

Schaech says Zeffirelli harassed and sexually abused him during the shoot, a trauma he’s kept secret for 25 years

OTOH, these days it would be easier to list all the elderly male celebrities that were not accused of sexually assaulting others than those that were accused (Stan Lee, George H. W. Bush, Kirk Douglas, Franco Zeffirelli...)

22 hours ago, GossipGabe said:

OTOH, these days it would be easier to list all the elderly male celebrities that were not accused of sexually assaulting others than those that were accused (Stan Lee, George H. W. Bush, Kirk Douglas, Franco Zeffirelli...)

In fairness, he is said to be the basis of Uncle Monty’s charcter in Withnail & I, due to Bruce Robinson’s experiences of him...

Actual Picture from Franco Zeffirelli at a ceremony in Florence. He looked very f***-up

mail-3.jpg

• Like 1

He should definitely appear on the list next year if he’s still breathing 

• Like 4

He’s a really interesting guy - not many Italian gay film directors who have also served as Centre Right politicians 

While we are on Zeffirelli here’s a video from last month of Leonard Whiting and Olivia Hussey as they are now. 

• Like 1

Rare public appearance from 96 years old  Director Franco Zeffirelli. He was honored by the italian senate and looked very miserably

4412615_2222_senato_casellati_premia_zeffirelli_30.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

He makes Sumner Redstone and Kirk Douglas look like shining beacons of health and comfort:(

• Like 1

Ah... RIP....

yes, a massive DL miss, in my opinion.

My theme team takes the hit nonetheless.

• Like 2

My 9th hit, quite happy with my list this year (even though I probably won’t have another hit for the rest of the year now that I said it)

• Like 1

And the pool claiming begins...

Adieu and RIP.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 23:16, GossipGabe said:

Just Kirk Douglas left out of those 4 ! 

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:13, CaptainChorizo said:

He makes Sumner Redstone and Kirk Douglas look like shining beacons of health and comfort:(

And now they are all dead....

• Like 2