ebless

Biggest Misses By The Committee 2018

Into March and surprised this year's biggest misses thread has not been created, but doing this now to suggest that Roger Bannister has to be the biggest miss so far this year. 

I don’t think he’s that big of a miss tbh. No doubt that he’s notable, but people do often last a while with Parkinson’s disease. Apart from Nobby Stiles when he goes this year (I think he probably will), I don’t think there will be a true miss this year, even though I know people will argue that Liam Miller and Morgan Tsvangirai are big misses...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I don’t think he’s that big of a miss tbh. No doubt that he’s notable, but people do often last a while with Parkinson’s disease. Apart from Nobby Stiles when he goes this year (I think he probably will), I don’t think there will be a true miss this year, even though I know people will argue that Liam Miller and Morgan Tsvangirai are big misses...

He is a fairly big miss.Was mentioned a lot on forums was nearing 90 known to have had parkinsons and had not been seen in public for a long while.Also apparently he was very nearly on DL 2007 until Di Stefano had a heart attack.So yeah he is a miss.

Nobby Stiles and Jacques Chirac I think will be the really big misses of the year.

• Like 5

It's not every day you get a death of a name you first heard in the Guinness Book of Records rather than Wikipedia.

Should have been on this year's list

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Name 1 person that misses Morgan Tsvangirai

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, RobertMugabe said:

Name 1 person that misses Morgan Tsvangirai

You as it gives you one less person to hate.

• Haha 1

I seem to remember someone suggesting that Roger Bannister was "not deathlisty".  FYI his death was the lead story on the national news.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Toast said:

I seem to remember someone suggesting that Roger Bannister was "not deathlisty".  FYI his death was the lead story on the national news.

Forgive them, they know not what they do.

• Like 3

Roger Bannister was the second hit on my shadow list so I am up with the committee.

A miss.

No one rails on the Committee more than Sir Creep, and I don't see anyone this year who:
1. Is first and foremost quite a popular person (i.e. deathlisty)
2a. Known for some time to have a terminal ailment or condition. 
2b. Known for a brief time to have the late stages of an ailment of condition that has come on quickly or been recently diagnosed.

For me it's the King Abdullah's or Patrick Harrington's of the world who drop over before March, cuz everyone and their mother knew it was going to happen, and yet the Committee gets all belligerent and know-it-all-y and refuses steadfastly to be told who they will put on their list, and instead make sure Bob Barker has a slot.  

Being 'old' doesn't cut the mustard.  In that case every old (95+) person should be on the list.  Not very imaginative.  So Bannister fails part 2 of the test for inclusion in this thread imho, so although I created the thread last year (and maybe the last two) I hadn't yet this year cuz I didn't see any GLARING errors.  Rayya Elias/Jessica Falkholt are simply Joey Feek circa 2018.  Not deathlisty.   Not sure who all has been discussed, looks like primarily Bannister (I've addressed this in half a sentence), but I'm guessing all names proposed fail one or both parts of the Sir Creep test for what constitutes a 'big miss'.  Believe you me, I will let em know should one occur.  I think the only person for sure I will blast them for is Jerry Maren if/when he dies.  Absolute MUST for inclusion until he leaves us.
SC

• Like 1

I disagree that Sir R.B. fails your part 2.  Everybody knew he was running out of time 

It was known that he had been ill for a long time, and his demise, if not necessarily expected imminently, was not a surprise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Being 'old' doesn't cut the mustard.  In that case every old (95+) person should be on the list.  Not very imaginative.  So Bannister fails part 2 of the test for inclusion in this thread imho, so although I created the thread last year (and maybe the last two) I hadn't yet this year cuz I didn't see any GLARING errors.  Rayya Elias/Jessica Falkholt are simply Joey Feek circa 2018.  Not deathlisty.   Not sure who all has been discussed, looks like primarily Bannister (I've addressed this in half a sentence), but I'm guessing all names proposed fail one or both parts of the Sir Creep test for what constitutes a 'big miss'.  Believe you me, I will let em know should one occur.  I think the only person for sure I will blast them for is Jerry Maren if/when he dies.  Absolute MUST for inclusion until he leaves us.
SC

I don't think that Jerry Maren is notable enough for the deathlist tbqhwy. Sure, he is one of the munchkins who performed the Lollipop Guild and he's the last surviving one of the munchkins, but that's really all he's known for. Basically he's a one hit wonder in acting, and it's in a role that I don't think had more than five minutes of screen time...

• Like 4

Maren is one of those names who feels like he'd appear on the DL in the mid-2000s were he born a decade earlier, the days where Charles Lane and Stanley Kunitz were hits. The standard for a really old person to be "DeathListy" has raised a bit since then!

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I don't think that Jerry Maren is notable enough for the deathlist tbqhwy. Sure, he is one of the munchkins who performed the Lollipop Guild and he's the last surviving one of the munchkins, but that's really all he's known for. Basically he's a one hit wonder in acting, and it's in a role that I don't think had more than five minutes of screen time...

Fair enough.  Just the name I find conspicuous in it's absence, esp in comparison to at least 3-4 who have been on the DL the past two years.   IF his one hit wonder wasn't the one hit that it was, and IF he wasn't the last surviving cast member, he would have zero merit.  But both are true catapulting him from zero to 100% imho.  Please note 'imho'.  I am happy to agree to disagree.

SC

I am still thinking that drop the name of Queen Elizabeth II could be a massive mistake and one of the BIGGEST misses EVER (specially for a UK website). An absolute MUST for inclusion until she leaves us.

• Like 2

Can't believe they didn't pick Colonel Sergei Skripal (pending).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I am still thinking that drop the name of Queen Elizabeth II could be a massive mistake and one of the BIGGEST misses EVER (specially for a UK website). An absolute MUST for inclusion until she leaves us.

She is not going to die this year or next. waste of a pick to include her. Philip will go first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

She is not going to die this year or next. waste of a pick to include her. Philip will go first.

Over her dead body.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎05‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 19:16, Deadpool said:

At the risk of making myself unpopular: The Queen has probably some of the most caring doctors in the world, but Deathlist's experts block out the fact, that her father died aged 56 & her sister aged 71. 

6 minutes ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

At the risk of making myself unpopular: The Queen has probably some of the most caring doctors in the world, but Deathlist's experts block out the fact, that her father died aged 56 & her sister aged 71. 

Both her father and her sister were heavy smokers, an activity generally accepted to considerably shorten life expectancy. The Queen has (reputedly) never smoked.

• Like 2

Just now, ThePrematureBurial said:

Yeah the Queen is a lifelong non smoker and her father and sister smoked like troopers.The Queen Mum was 101 her paternal grandmother lived to 85 and her maternal grandfather was 89 when he died back in 1944.

• Like 2

I have always thought the Queen will make 100.Then again I thought Ken Dodd would too.The Queen will probably be back on the list in 2019 and stay until she dies.

• Like 1