Godot

Spy corner

3 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

My mate Dave says he was  a spy. Not seen him for a bit. 

My mate Iain says he was a spy too, come to think of it, I haven't seen him for a few days. 

6 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

My mate Iain says he was a spy too, come to think of it, I haven't seen him for a few days. 

Not "a spy", "aspie".

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Not "a spy", "aspie".

Nice as pie? 

On 17/10/2020 at 16:33, drol said:

I want this thread to be used only for announce George Blake's death! Damn you all!

A-hem

• Like 2

Hit no. 271...so 5 more. Which is doable in the remaining days. Especially if the BBC "In memoriam" page adds a name or two.

Charles Campion's death hasn't been picked up so far. Okay, it's christmas, but that might be bad timing for him. I wondered if the news might have been wrong, but the source seems very solid.

Second massive death from the spy world inside a fortnight following the  death of John Le Carre! 

• Like 1

In yet another last minute blow to my Deathlist Cup team, Esther Pollard, wife of spy Jonathan Pollard, dead after being rushed to hospital yesterday.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

In yet another last minute blow to my Deathlist Cup team, Esther Pollard, wife of spy Jonathan Pollard, dead after being rushed to hospital yesterday.

Looks very unfamous at a glance 

18 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Looks very unfamous at a glance 

She was reasonably well known for campaigning for his release.

Russian Illegals Program spy Mikhail Vasenkov aka. Juan Lazaro reportedly dead at 79.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/5294924

The real Juan Lazaro died in Uruguay in 1947 aged 3 from respiratory failure. Vasenkov, a Soviet agent since 1966, used the toddler's birth certificate to build a persona and asked Francisco Morales Bermúdez's junta to give him Peruvian citizenship, that he was granted.

He married Peruvian tv reporter Vicky Peláez in 1983 and wrote articles praising Abimael Guzman's Shining Path guerrilla movement and Hugo Chavez. 

Vasenkov and Pelaez moved to New York in the mid-1980s, where Pelaez wrote articles praising Chavez and Castro. Vasenkov and Pelaez were arrested in 2010 on charges of conspiracy to act as an agent of a foreign government. The US traded Vasenkov, Pelaez and eight other Russian sleeper agents for four prisoners held by Russia in 2010. One of those four was Sergei Skripal.

• Like 2

Vyacheslav Trubnikov, KGB officer, Director of Russia's Foreign Intelligence Service 1996-2000 dead at 77:

https://www.kommersant.ru/amp/5316259

Putin met with him, George Blake, Vladimir Kryuchkov, Leonid Sherbashin and Yevgeny Primakov around 2000 as a part of the 80th anniversary of SVR and its preceding agencies. All five dead now, waiting for Putin to join them.

• Like 2

Gary Schroen no longer alive and well. 

He was a spy sent to kill bin Laden in 2001, and thus one of the first United States officers in Afghanistan for the war. 

He was told to have bin Laden and his inner circle's "heads up on pikes". 

He saw less than 24 hours following the death of Ayman al-Zawahiri, succumbing to a Stroke on 1st August 2022. He was 80.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Gary Schroen no longer alive and well. 

He was a spy sent to kill bin Laden in 2001, and thus one of the first United States soldiers in Afghanistan for the war. 

He was told to have bin Laden and his inner circle's "heads up on pikes". 

He saw less than 24 hours following the death of Ayman al-Zawahiri, succumbing to a Stroke on 1st August 2022. He was 80.

In other words, a massive failure. Incompetence allowed bin Laden's escape and ensured his safety for a decade.

Also, a CIA field officer is not a soldier.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

In other words, a massive failure. Incompetence allowed bin Laden's escape and ensured his safety for a decade.

Also, a CIA field officer is not a soldier.

To be fair, the Americans tracked down Osama and his cronies to the exact cave system, but when the request to go in for the kill came, there was a sudden caution/delay from the top brass that gave Bin Laden the precious time to escape. That's when the troops were there.

It is however fair to point out Schroens job was to find Bin Laden in the late 90s and take him out before the September 11 attacks and he utterly failed that one.

• Like 1

Norwegian-born Russian KGB and Iraqi Intelligence Service agent Arne Treholt who was convicted of treason on behalf of the Soviet Union against Norway in the 80s and later a Russian propagandist dead at 80 in Moscow.

• Like 4