TomTomTelekom

Sir Michael Caine

He is one of the most successful British actors of all time, two-time Oscar winner and was knighted by the Queen in 2000. Sir Michael Caine, has achieved everything in his over 60-year film career.

Reason enough today, on his 85th birthday, to dedicate him his own thread on this page. Happy Birthday, Sir Michael Caine :birthday:

56a289741f00007f0021682c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of my favourite actors (he was snubbed for an Oscar for Sleuth the year that hack Brando got it for mumbling through 30 minutes of The Godfather imo) fwiw. Will be a sad day when folk earn points off him.

And like Duvall, Eastwood and Hackman, obviously Deathlisty names. Dunno about his current health though.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

I reckon Caine will go suddenly, rather than us knowing of some kind of illness or whatever. But I don't think it'll be soon. Not this decade, anyway. I hope.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, msc said:

One of my favourite actors (he was snubbed for an Oscar for Sleuth the year that hack Brando got it for mumbling through 30 minutes of The Godfather imo) fwiw. Will be a sad day when folk earn points off him.

And like Duvall, Eastwood and Hackman, obviously Deathlisty names. Dunno about his current health though.

he was a heavy drinker and smoked two packs a day

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12107105/Sir-Michael-Caine-My-wife-saved-me-I-was-drinking-a-bottle-of-vodka-a-day.html

• Like 1

Obviously deathlisty, yet, I think he never achieved to have a role he was perfect for - a role, he really disappeared in. To me, he's always been "Michael Caine playing XYZ"... never... "THE Lawrence of Arabia", "Scarlett O'Hara", or the like...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Obviously deathlisty, yet, I think he never achieved to have a role he was perfect for - a role, he really disappeared in. To me, he's always been "Michael Caine playing XYZ"... never... "THE Lawrence of Arabia", "Scarlett O'Hara", or the like...

Dunno, I think he's pretty fine in Educating Rita...

• Like 4

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Has hurt his ankle according to his close pal Joan Collins. 

Was Joan Collins also the one that declared Kirk Douglas was dead? She seems to be too excited to spill the tea :P

• Like 1

Just now, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Was Joan Collins also the one that declared Kirk Douglas was dead? She seems to be too excited to spill the tea :P

Indeed she was and was mortified afterwards! One of her earlier versions of her autobiography was wonderfully indiscrete and a pleasure to read :lol::P

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

well, for my taste its better if an actor is not reduced to a certain role for all time. It is just extraordinary that someone like Michael Caine remains active in the film business for decades with various Blockbusters and roles such as Batman Trilogy, Prestige, Interstellar, Inception ... I mean these are all films that belong to the top 100 in film history.

• Thanks 2

Just now, TomTomTelekom said:

well, for my taste its better if an actor is not reduced to a certain role for all time. It is just extraordinary that someone like Michael Caine remains active in the film business for decades with various blockbusters such as Batman Trilogy, Prestige, Interstellar, Inception ... I mean these are all films that belong to the top 100 in film history.

He was superb in The Cider House rules in which he costarred alongside  Tobey Maguire  in around 1999. 

If memory serves me right he won an Oscar for it? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

He was superb in The Cider House rules in which he costarred alongside  Tobey Maguire  in around 1999. 

If memory serves me right he won an Oscar for it? 

yes, thats right. the other oscar he wons for woody allens "hannah and her sisters" in the mid of the 80s

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TomTomTelekom said:

yes, thats right. the other oscar he wons for woody allens "hannah and her sisters" in the mid of the 80s

Great choice of person for a thread by the way :)

If you Google it I think Michael Caine has said in the past six months or so that he's starting to feel more awareness of his mortality. I think he said something like he's got five good years maximum left in him by his reckoning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Batman's butler? Pfft.

Now, Michael Caine's appearance on Desert Island Discs was superb. All house and trance music as I recall, very much down with da kidz.

He's in the most down to earth, serious and best Christmas Carol, of course.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6482-1386786564-31.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Great choice of person for a thread by the way :)

If you Google it I think Michael Caine has said in the past six months or so that he's starting to feel more awareness of his mortality. I think he said something like he's got five good years maximum left in him by his reckoning. 

yes, I read that half a year ago, he said "my days are numbered and I am fully aware that time will come soon ..." Well, such a sentence is not really uncommon for a mid 80's, but maybe there is a deeper meaning behind it, who knows. ...?

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/19/michael-caine-admits-his-days-are-numbered-as-he-embarks-on-health-kick-6520044/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Oh yeah, but that is Michael Caine! The same goes for Jack Nicholson - they play variations of themselves and I personally wouldn't have it at other way...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Dunno, I think he's pretty fine in Educating Rita...

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is an excellent comedy.

• Like 3

Saturday Kitchen just claimed (I'm having a quiet Saturday) that Michael Caine was the first male actor to cook on screen in The Ipcress File (1965). Can anybody refute this? Another claim to fame for Maurice...

4 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Saturday Kitchen just claimed (I'm having a quiet Saturday) that Michael Caine was the first male actor to cook on screen in The Ipcress File (1965). Can anybody refute this? Another claim to fame for Maurice...

Not sure about the cooking. But the first to discuss champignons. 

I call nonsense.

In the westerns there were plenty of cowboys who rustled up a meal.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I call nonsense.

In the westerns there were plenty of cowboys who rustled up a meal.

Ah, I'm guessing we're differentiating between cooking some meat over an open fire in the wilderness and creating proper meals in a kitchen. In the book, Harry Palmer was a keen and accomplished cook (as apparently is Len Deighton) and this made its way into the film. The point was the Sixties was a time when men weren't chefs and women stayed in the kitchen and The Ipcress File was the first film to challenge this on screen (supposedly). In the film itself, the close-ups of Michael Caine cooking are actually Len Deighton hands, according to Wikipedia.

All this said, I'd still like concrete proof of a cowboy cooking in a film before 1965. :D

Not a cowboy, but definitely a man, definitely on-screen, definitely before 1965, debatable if its cooking though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1