Surreptitious

• Like 2

11 hours ago, charon said:

Cunt is overused as a put down IMO, you can describe someone as "a guid cunt' for example.

Totally disagree.

I'm a 5ft-nothing mum of four - cunt has an AMAZING effect on anyone who is being, well, a cunt while I'm out and about.  Grown men have stopped their silliness and looked at me with open gobs when I've let fly with a daintily worded 'fuck off you cunt'.  Sometimes I say 'prick' but usually 'cunt' is the one I pull out of the bag...  :angel5:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Zeitgeist

Pamphlet

Anathema 

And more recently, twatsack seems to be gaining in popularity round the place.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, coffee_and_candles said:

Totally disagree.

I'm a 5ft-nothing mum of four - cunt has an AMAZING effect on anyone who is being, well, a cunt while I'm out and about.  Grown men have stopped their silliness and looked at me with open gobs when I've let fly with a daintily worded 'fuck off you cunt'.  Sometimes I say 'prick' but usually 'cunt' is the one I pull out of the bag...  :angel5:

Are you related to Lardy?

• Haha 2

I will say that if someone wants to REALLY push an American woman's buttons, the c-word is the choice.  No other word has the same impact.

I'd like to put in some support for 'bitch'. 

For reasons which escape me, this perfectly respectable word has been demonised to the point where it even gets censored if used to mention a female dog.  

In my young days  :old: it was a fairly mild term of abuse, often used in a jocular spirit.   Now it's joined the ranks of the unsayable.  Bloody snowflakes

Facetious

All the vowels occurring once in the correct order. :wub:

• Like 1

Paradigm.

And I love business speak as discussed elsewhere.  Deliverable (work product), rightsizing, throughput, outsource, sourcing, efforting, footprint etc etc.  

Legalese too.  Insofar, Heretofore, Henceforth, Thus, and I especially love ‘said’ for ‘the, as in ‘Sir Creep entered the DL website and left said website 5 minutes later.’  How does one not adore that stilted crap?  

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:05, Toast said:

I'd like to put in some support for 'bitch'. 

For reasons which escape me, this perfectly respectable word has been demonised to the point where it even gets censored if used to mention a female dog.  

In my young days  :old: it was a fairly mild term of abuse, often used in a jocular spirit.   Now it's joined the ranks of the unsayable.  Bloody snowflakes

Bitch doesn't offend me but it's not a sexy word. An ex tried using it while getting saucy once and I couldn't stop laughing which was not the reaction he wanted.

Words I like the sound of but not necessarily the meaning are serendipity, carafe, Kofferkuli (German for luggage trolley) and Каранда́ш (Karandash, Russian for pencil). 

Hmm, I seem to like a hard k sound at the start and an r in the middle, I wonder if that's were my Karen Carpenter obsession started.

• Like 3

støvsuger

Pronounced 'stoor sooker' , the old lady may confirm, but Norwegian, or Norweegiean, for vacuum cleaner.

They stole it off us ffs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Paradigm.

And I love business speak as discussed elsewhere.  Deliverable (work product), rightsizing, throughput, outsource, sourcing, efforting, footprint etc etc.  

Legalese too.  Insofar, Heretofore, Henceforth, Thus, and I especially love ‘said’ for ‘the, as in ‘Sir Creep entered the DL website and left said website 5 minutes later.’  How does one not adore that stilted crap?  

You can't beat 'proven' for legalese speak.

As in 'not proven'.

Gotta love a third option for a verdict :)

• Like 2

If we're going for foreign words, then who could not be charmed by zakkenroller, the Dutch word for pickpocket.

Mind you, pickpocket is a fun word too.

BXfmOxeIQAACfwF.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, charon said:

støvsuger

Pronounced 'stoor sooker' , the old lady may confirm, but Norwegian, or Norweegiean, for vacuum cleaner.

They stole it off us ffs.

Similarly pleasing is the German 'Staubsauger' (shtowb-sow-ga). Translates literally as 'Dust Sucker'.

Germany has loads of brilliant words, as I'm sure gc or Book or any others will testify (and correct me, if I'm wrong):

Schildkröte: (shild-krer-ta) Turtle. Literal translation is 'Shielded Toad'.

Nacktschnecke: (nakt-shneck-a) Slug. Or, literally, 'Naked snail'. 

Arschgeige: (arsh-guy-ga) Someone who gets everything wrong. Literally translates as 'Arse violin'.

and possibly my favourite, Muschi: (mooshy) Pussy. Not of the feline variety.

and an honourable mention for Backpfeifengesicht. This means 'A face that's just asking to be punched'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

/snip

Words I like the sound of but not necessarily the meaning are serendipity, carafe, Kofferkuli (German for luggage trolley) and Каранда́ш (Karandash, Russian for pencil). 

Hmm, I seem to like a hard k sound at the start and an r in the middle, I wonder if that's were my Karen Carpenter obsession started.

So I've just discovered the origin of this name!

image.jpeg.a04825d309b8c3978ab03b45ddd4e29c.jpeg

• Like 1

I love the literal approach German has to naming things.  Luftkissenboot is their word for hovercraft- an air cushion boat.

• Like 1

If you had been holidaying near the Danube in the 1980s, you might have enjoyed a river trip with the Donaudampfschiffahrtgesellschaft which gives the opportunity for some even longer words.

Den Schlippenschlappenschittenschiffter - Windscreen Wipers.

Ok, that's made up. But it could have been.

More seriously, I only recently discovered the word epicaricacy which apparently is the English for schadenfreude (and obviously instantly forgot it again and had to look it up to post it here).

Quite why we have adopted the German version over the native I'm unsure (as is the spell checker since it accepts the German but throws a wobbly over the English).

There's a halfway decent theory on quora which includes this:-

"If you use the word Schadenfreude, everyone knows what you mean. If you use the word epicaricacy, no one knows what you mean and everyone thinks you're a pretentious tool."

Which seems reasonable enough.

• Like 4

Kakistocracy

"....is a system of government which is run by the worst, least qualified, or most unscrupulous citizens"

Another new word to add to my recently growing lexicon. How on earth did I miss this before? Almost onomatopoeic* and so apt currently.

Unlike epicaricacy, which I forgot yet again and had to look one post above to recall (which also reminded me it's probably best forgotten anyway, I already have enough ways to appear a tool)....this one is now seared in my memory.

Gleaned from this article.

*Oh ya, onomatopoeic, that could go in my 'like' list too.

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Kakistocracy

"....is a system of government which is run by the worst, least qualified, or most unscrupulous citizens"

Ah, so the West, then!

:D

46 minutes ago, msc said:

Ah, so pretty much everywhere the West, then!

:D

FTFY

• Like 1

Lackadaisical

Pernickety

Canoodle

• Like 1

On 2018-03-21 at 08:42, En Passant said:

Den Schlippenschlappenschittenschiffter - Windscreen Wipers.

Ok, that's made up. But it could have been.

More seriously, I only recently discovered the word epicaricacy which apparently is the English for schadenfreude (and obviously instantly forgot it again and had to look it up to post it here).

Quite why we have adopted the German version over the native I'm unsure (as is the spell checker since it accepts the German but throws a wobbly over the English).

There's a halfway decent theory on quora which includes this:-

"If you use the word Schadenfreude, everyone knows what you mean. If you use the word epicaricacy, no one knows what you mean and everyone thinks you're a pretentious tool."

Which seems reasonable enough.

German words are interesting AF

Gubernatorial

Tablet

Frail

Electoral

Rumor has it these were also Ronald Reagan's last words.