1 minute ago, Toast said:

I got the impression he meant someone else  ;)

He might have! :P

But I'm glad Phil is doing better too at the same time. :D

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 07:58, charon said:

Back on track...

Books are expensive, libraries are FREEEEE. 

I note today that a boy found a book overdue since 1982 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-43519557

The fine would be £374...

* I have one, The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe.... that is more overdue than that coffee3.gif

Yeah but that's in Scottish money.

That will work out at, around, 24p south of the border.

Nae worries then.:D

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have read through this thread and decided that I have no freaking concept. Except that I concur with the divorce recommendation. 

As anyone who knows me can swear and testify, shopping is one of  my more enviable talents. 

• Like 2

For future referanse, when you get back on your feet after the layoff: start saving so you have at least 6 months worth of money to live on in case this happens again: include enough to pay rent/mortgage payments, food, utilities, car payments, taxes, etc. (Most have enough clothing and other material goods, so this does not have to be in the sum saved.) This serves a double purpose, because if you never use this money to live off of, it will become part of your retirement savings later on.

The rule is you can buy the supermarket own-brand version of everything except Coke and ketchup.

you are right about coke but all ketchup tastes more or less the same

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The rule is you can buy the supermarket own-brand version of everything except Coke and ketchup.

and baked beans.

Aldi & Lidl chocolate biscuits are nicer than McVitie's and about half the price.

2 hours ago, time said:

and baked beans.

I think Tesco beans are far superior than the top brands, much juicier and tomatoier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I think Tesco beans are far superior than the top brands, much juicier and tomatoier.

I don't think I've ever had Tesco baked beans; I was put off own-brand baked beans at a very early age by some that had the consistency of chalk and sauce so sweet it makes my teeth itch just thinking about it.

Thread did inspire me to see if there was any large-scale supermarket own brand database out there, and there is: http://www.supermarketownbrandguide.co.uk

Of the 4269 items reviewed, only two score a coveted 1/10:

Tesco Value CornflakesNot much better than cow cereal - and the bag leaves plastic a smell and taste on the corn flakes. Leave them on the shelf and let someone else throw them away. Buy Tesco's regular corn flakes. 

Tesco Value Tinned Vegetable Soup: The dog might, but you'll struggle to finish a spoonful. Leave it on the shelf and buy the brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought Tescos own cuppa soup once, to have at work.

I think a Tramps vomit would have tasted better.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

I bought Tescos own cuppa soup once, to have at work.

I think a Tramps vomit would have tasted better.

their not edible and tesco beer is not drinkable also their pastries have next to no filling

I haven't had tinned soup for years (still less cuppa soup).  It's so easy to make your own.

My budget tip is to buy a smoked ham hock (about £3.50 at local farm shop/butcher)

Simmer it in plenty of water for two hours or so, until it's falling away from the bone.  That water will turn into a couple of litres of tasty stock from which you can make fabulous soup from whatever you like.  Good way to use up any left overs or tired veg.

Meanwhile you will also have a fair bit of tasty meat which can be stretched in various ways.  Nice with green lentils cooked in a bit of the bacon stock.

And the skin can be roasted or grilled to make pork scratchings.

• Like 1

That's because most anything you cook yourself tastes better than shop stuff. Unless yer a shit cook of course. Even a "middle of the road but not poisoned anyone yet so calling it a success" like me notices the difference. Control the ingredients, timing, etc and what not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, msc said:

That's because most anything you cook yourself tastes better than shop stuff. Unless yer a shit cook of course. Even a "middle of the road but not poisoned anyone yet so calling it a success" like me notices the difference. Control the ingredients, timing, etc and what not.

I've never poisoned anyone else with my cooking but given myself food poisoning a couple of times the most recent time was when Clive Dunn died and I haven't cooked since. 

11 hours ago, runebomme said:

you are right about coke but all ketchup tastes more or less the same

No. No, it doesn't.

I spent just over 20 quid in a supermarket at lunchtime and paid by debit card. I've just checked my bank account and the money hasn't been reserved as it usually is. My actual balance and the available balance read the same amount. :o :D

2 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

I spent just over 20 quid in a supermarket at lunchtime and paid by debit card. I've just checked my bank account and the money hasn't been reserved as it usually is. My actual balance and the available balance read the same amount. :o :D

Was it a Visa, because Visa is fucked today.

1 minute ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Was it a Visa, because Visa is fucked today.

Yes.

Just now, Cat O'Falk said:

Yes.

That’ll be why then. I wonder if they’ll notice? You might have bagged a freebie :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lard Bazaar said:

That’ll be why then. I wonder if they’ll notice? You might have bagged a freebie :D

I'll find out on Sunday because that's when it always gets deducted on a Friday shop. 

Probably deducted according to radio.

Lol.

Why cash is king.

Avoids deflation, and fuck ups like this.

Idiots rely on cards. Yip. Retards.

Lol.

Why cash is king.

Edited by charon
said twice for emphasis
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, charon said:

Lol.

Why cash is king.

Maybe a good idea up there Chaz.

If the SNP get a free hand you will need suitcases of cash just for a loaf of bread. :)