Sign in to follow this  
Cat O'Falk

Aerospace and Astronomy

9 hours ago, Cat O'Falk said:

The last 'blood moon' visible from Newcastle upon Tyne was on the 27th July this year but it was very close to the horizon. The next one will be on 21st January 2019 at 0442 hrs and it will be 29 degrees above the horizon.

Well, I'm going to Newcastle for that one then.

Because I was in Oxford for the one this summer and ended up walking half a mile trying to remove houses and trees from my line of sight, never did, and damn near fell in the canal at Iffley lock in the attempt.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Because I was in Oxford for the one this summer and ended up walking half a mile trying to remove houses and trees from my line of sight, never did, and damn near fell in the canal at Iffley lock in the attempt.

I really wouldn't bother, Cat was using incredibly old info on my whereabouts. :D

It looked cool anyway, didn't think it was that long ago though.

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

No need to. It'll be high 20s to low 30s degrees above the horizon throughout the UK. The timing is not too good though:

Totality starts 0441 hrs

Midpoint 0512 hrs

Totality ends 0543 hrs

I didn't see it here in Leicester but I managed to take a photo of it together with the planet Mars using the Zurich Airport webcam:

Lunar Mars.jpg

Lunar Zurich.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pictures.

I wasn't really serious about Newcastle, I've avoided the place on reputation up til now and enticing as a 5am moon viewing is....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Deathray said:

Cat was using incredibly old info on my whereabouts. :D

:o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Nice pictures.

I wasn't really serious about Newcastle, I've avoided the place on reputation up til now and enticing as a 5am moon viewing is....

You can probably get a 5am moon viewing any night of the week in Newcastle - although if it's red there's something amiss...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deathray said:

You can probably get a 5am moon viewing any night of the week in Newcastle - although if it's red there's something amiss...

hemorrhoids are not a laughing matter

On 04/12/2018 at 21:26, runebomme said:

hemorrhoids are not a laughing matter

Related image

Super Blood Moon total eclipse in North America in 10 days.   Don't miss it you dumbasses -- The next total lunar eclipse seen in North America won’t be until May 2021.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2019 at 13:25, Sir Creep said:

Super Blood Moon total eclipse in North America in 10 days.   Don't miss it you dumbasses -- The next total lunar eclipse seen in North America won’t be until May 2021.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2019Jan21T.pdf

• Like 1

For those of you that have been looking at Venus in the morning sky, she's going to be joined by Jupiter over the next 10 days.

Jupiter will not be as bright as Venus but it is still very bright.

The video runs from the 14th to the 23rd and is the view from the northern hemisphere. From the southern hemisphere Jupiter will approach from the right.

• Like 2

As mentioned by @Sir Creep above, there will be a total lunar eclipse together with a supermoon on the night of 20th - 21st January.

The eclipse is visible from the whole of North and South America, western Africa and most of Europe.

Lunar-Eclipse.jpg

You can enter your location here to get the full details including local times of the various phases.

No matter where you are in the world:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3.countingdownto.com%2Fg%2FqX1OpyuoxNiKOQ&t=1547983460&ymreqid=23c1770f-fa09-45b9-1367-630000010000&sig=20btD_ssTjB5o2ypnsGANQ--~C

zxCqtUbZxXtDQA

• Thanks 2

This is what should happen. The time at the top left is GMT.

Now watch the bloody clouds roll in. :lol:

9 hours and 37 mins to go, and the moon is as full and white as Zorders next bride.

Right, moon looks as far away as ever and pearly white as school shirt buttons.

However, it seems I am early, I was told 2.35 am. I might have another half hour in me, so probably miss the full thing.

Totality has just started and there's total cloud coverage. :rant:

Live feed above doesn't seem to be working'

Here's another:

Been watching the Griffith Observatory, it's awesome.

Meanwhile, it got very dark here, but with the naked eye can't see anything except darkness...tho they say we won't see it until about 5:12.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Been watching the Griffith Observatory, it's awesome.

Meanwhile, it got very dark here, but with the naked eye can't see anything except darkness...tho they say we won't see it until about 5:12.

That's the time of the mid-point of totality.

• Thanks 1

It’s in there somewhere.  Made sure to get the wean up for a look-see.  About 11:15 CST, maybe 10-15 min before total coverage.

SC

7220A884-50CF-4B7A-BA33-70DE7BC7B99D.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

It’s in there somewhere.  Made sure to get the wean up for a look-see.  About 11:15 CST, maybe 10-15 min before total coverage.

SC

7220A884-50CF-4B7A-BA33-70DE7BC7B99D.jpeg

You also got Castor (at the very top) and Pollux (just below, to the right and brighter) as well.

Didn't you stay for totality?

We had a pinkish hue in the sky, sadly no sign of the moon itself. So, not super, not blood unless you are suffering from anaemia, more lightly barking dachshund than wolf.

Better on the telly.

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

We had a pinkish hue in the sky, sadly no sign of the moon itself. So, not super, not blood unless you are suffering from anaemia, more lightly barking dachshund than wolf.

Better on the telly.

You must've had cloud cover then. The moon was 31 through 22 degrees above the western horizon in Glasgow during totality. :( Cloudy here in Leicester too. :angry:

• Like 1